Need some knowledgable input on a used Santa Cruz- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Need some knowledgable input on a used Santa Cruz

Hi, first time posting. This was my best guess at the most relevant category to post in so let me know if theres a better place to ask this.

My Cannondale hardtail was stolen, renters insurance is paying me out for it, and i'm looking to upgrade to a full suspension since I recently moved from Houston (flat) to Seattle (not flat).
    I would love to be able to buy a brand new full suspension but i simply cant afford to fork out the money for one and i wont go into debt for it.

I'm looking at a used 2016 Santa Cruz Bronson C S, Carbon frame, fox float factory x rear, rockshox pike fork. looks well taken care of, no frame damage, shocks and drivetrain were just serviced at a local shop, he wants $2300

I'm also looking at a Santa Cruz 5010, the frame is a 2018 aluminum (warranty replacement) built with components from a 2015 5010. fox float CTD rear, rockshox sector fork, no dropper post. frame is brand new and has never been ridden. he wants $2000

I'm getting hung up on the Bronson vs 5010 geometry and travel, older carbon frame vs brand new frame, but older components and no dropper post. I figure i might as well have the extra travel of the Bronson when i need it for the trails up here.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm new to full suspension and am not a bike component expert. Obviously theres a lot of things to look out for and triple check when looking at a used bike to make sure i'm getting and honest deal and not a money sink hole.

Thanks,
    Michael Z

mtbr member
    Also drop in to the Santa Cruz forum. You might find info on those bikes and some input from people there.
    I haven't ridden either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got a used '15 5010 C mostly stock and love it. Bronson has more travel. Guess you need to decide which is the better fit for you.
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

mtbr member
    The Bronson will cover more trails in this area than the 5010. Some of that stuff up on Tiger Mountain gets pretty rough and I'd rather have more travel for that.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986