mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Need some knowledgable input on a used Santa Cruz

Hi, first time posting. This was my best guess at the most relevant category to post in so let me know if theres a better place to ask this.

My Cannondale hardtail was stolen, renters insurance is paying me out for it, and i'm looking to upgrade to a full suspension since I recently moved from Houston (flat) to Seattle (not flat).
    I would love to be able to buy a brand new full suspension but i simply cant afford to fork out the money for one and i wont go into debt for it.

I'm looking at a used 2016 Santa Cruz Bronson C S, Carbon frame, fox float factory x rear, rockshox pike fork. looks well taken care of, no frame damage, shocks and drivetrain were just serviced at a local shop, he wants $2300

I'm also looking at a Santa Cruz 5010, the frame is a 2018 aluminum (warranty replacement) built with components from a 2015 5010. fox float CTD rear, rockshox sector fork, no dropper post. frame is brand new and has never been ridden. he wants $2000

I'm getting hung up on the Bronson vs 5010 geometry and travel, older carbon frame vs brand new frame, but older components and no dropper post. I figure i might as well have the extra travel of the Bronson when i need it for the trails up here.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm new to full suspension and am not a bike component expert. Obviously theres a lot of things to look out for and triple check when looking at a used bike to make sure i'm getting and honest deal and not a money sink hole.

Thanks,
    Michael Z

mtbr member
    Also drop in to the Santa Cruz forum. You might find info on those bikes and some input from people there.
    I haven't ridden either.