Need some advice, New to mtb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Need some advice, New to mtb

Looking to get into mtb, Get more active meet new people and my first mistake was going to walmart..please hold the laughter *if you can*. So that was a big fail and than my second mistake was looking for a bike around $200-300...who knew bikes were so expensive..this guy did not. Before I list what I am looking at I suppose I should put down what I want a bike for, Looking for something that can ride on roads but also be able to go through trails more so trails than paved roads. I live in North Carolina so we don't have mountains believe it or not, The trails I would be going through won't be nothing huge but I would also like a bike that if i travel 4-6 hours to said mountains I could do it or if I do find some decent trail I would be comfortable going through it. I have increased my budget way more than I ever thought I would but atm I am looking at 2 bikes completely different price points, Motobecane 529HT 29er *looked for a 27.5 but they don't have it in my size* $400 and for my LBS to put it together and tune would be $520 all together. Next bike Giant Talon 2 27.5 $720 and would be $800 all together from LBS to be put together and tuned. I am overweight and my main worry was my weight so the fork does scare me on the both bikes Height - 5'9 Weight - 275? I hope I gave enough information and it wasn't to badly cluttered. If you can't tell already I need help. Any advice on bike choice or any advice in general would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Bikesexual
    My 02cents. Pass on the Motobecane, I rode the 26'' version but I would be on feather weight if I was a boxer.

Since the Giant is at $800.00 - This bike is a little over that but much better components, and better fork. Still entry level but much better that the BD bike.

If you search this bike on the forums, its a great deal and they have others at other price points.

It looks like you are enjoying riding, as long as you can afford it, get the best you can.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod173163
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

jcd's best friend
    I see you are from New Bern. I grew up in Havelock all of my life. I agree. There are no mountains out there lol!

Havelock Rams > New Bern Bears
    Trek Émonda SL6 | Intense Recluse

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I actually used to live in havelock from the ages of 18-21

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulschizm View Post
    I actually used to live in havelock from the ages of 18-21
    Nice! I was born and raised there. I left the city back in 98 and never came back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    My 02cents. Pass on the Motobecane, I rode the 26'' version but I would be on feather weight if I was a boxer.

Since the Giant is at $800.00 - This bike is a little over that but much better components, and better fork. Still entry level but much better that the BD bike.

If you search this bike on the forums, its a great deal and they have others at other price points.

It looks like you are enjoying riding, as long as you can afford it, get the best you can.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod173163
    This bike does have 2 things I wanted that the giant does not, the 1x10 crank and the fork has 140mm travel, I just wish they shipped from the states and not the UK. And with shipping I'm looking at $1065, Wish picking a bike wasn't so hard. I know I'm looking at entry level bikes but I would hate to spend $800-1100 on a bike and than wish I had got something else, But I think that would happen on any bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

mtbr member
    Soulschizm, age old question. New to MTB, what do I get. You'll get a lot of good advice from the MTB community. And sure, some will push their favorite stuff because that's their experience. Nothing wrong with that! And some might say... do a forum search, that question has been asked before. And it has... but... nothing wrong with asking again. Every situation can be different, and it's always good to get newer info.

Anyway, I think it's always best to get a little more than you think you'll need. You described the type of riding you intend to do. But, if you truly are new to the sport, you may not yet know what all is out there. And you haven't experienced it yet. Heck, those of us that have been doing this for 30-40 years still experience something new every now and then. That's because things change and evolve. And so will your riding. Of the vast number of long forgotten new MTB riders I've come across, I honestly cannot think of a single one of them that ever said... "gee, I sure didn't need this much bike". But most have come back around and said... "I need more!". The exception is usually those that started out with a lot of bike day one. And for those that just didn't like riding, it was usually because of a bad bike selection. I think the smart move is somewhere in the middle. Get whatever you need will for anything you currently plan on doing, plus a little more. And remember, what you need isn't just about the type of trail you ride. It's about your experience and capability as well, if not more so. You can take a beach cruiser down a rocky, rooty trail if you take is slow and walk a bit (OK, that's a bit of exaggeration, but you know what I mean). While some riders may be OK with that, as that rider gets more experienced, they'll naturally start to hit it harder. At that point, the bike is useless. That will come sooner than you think. You mentioned your weight. Once you start riding, that may drop... and you may be riding faster and more aggressive sooner than you think as well. I suggest finding a balance... a little more than you think you'll need, keeping in mind you'll most likely upgrade it (so $ave!) soon after you gain experience and a better feel for what you want to do. In the end, I would consider a good used bike from an LBS. For the same cost of those new bikes you're considering, you may find a more capable bike with some miles on it.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Peace & Love
    best advice i can provide is to stay the hell off of the 29er forum. unless of course you love sheep whose best talent is to cut and paste from one another's posts and/or Mountain Bike Action articles

Maxxis cult follower
    This bike does have 2 things I wanted that the giant does not, the 1x10 crank and the fork has 140mm travel, I just wish they shipped from the states and not the UK. And with shipping I'm looking at $1065, Wish picking a bike wasn't so hard. I know I'm looking at entry level bikes but I would hate to spend $800-1100 on a bike and than wish I had got something else, But I think that would happen on any bike

Don't overanalyze it too much. Every bike under $1200 or so is going to have some 'problem' or weaker component, and many on here think a decent hardtail starts at $2000+. Don't worry about all of that stuff right now.

What you want is a well-built aluminum frame that fits you. Put some good tires and brakes on it, ride it, and then decide what else you want to upgrade. Plenty of decent entry-level bikes out there for $400-700. If you are in a relatively flat area, the fork and drivetrain are not going to be a big deal, and besides you can change those later anyway if you need to. Number one thing to do is test out certain frames (bikes), pick the one that is most comfortable, that rides 'good enough' then worry about upgrading components later. You can go to a bike warehouse to try out different bikes but you don't have to buy directly from them. Don't try to pick all of the best components at once for a complete bike at this level.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Don't overanalyze it too much. Every bike under $1200 or so is going to have some 'problem' or weaker component, and many on here think a decent hardtail starts at $2000+. Don't worry about all of that stuff right now.

What you want is a well-built aluminum frame that fits you. Put some good tires and brakes on it, ride it, and then decide what else you want to upgrade. Plenty of decent entry-level bikes out there for $400-700. If you are in a relatively flat area, the fork and drivetrain are not going to be a big deal, and besides you can change those later anyway if you need to. Number one thing to do is test out certain frames (bikes), pick the one that is most comfortable, that rides 'good enough' then worry about upgrading components later. You can go to a bike warehouse to try out different bikes but you don't have to buy directly from them. Don't try to pick all of the best components at once for a complete bike at this level.
    Ok so buy a cheap bike and upgrade the crap out of it?

Way more expensive!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Well the search is over I rode a few Giants at my LBS and talked with a guy about choices and well Just put a down deposit on the Fathom 2. I was thinking of spending around $200 at most...but that was also thinking I could get something decent at walmart. Just didn't know how expensive things could get but I didn't want to spend $500 and it not be right or couldn't do something and than have to spend even more than $1200 for something that can tackle just about anything. And I also figure if for what ever reason I don't get into mtb or it's not my thing I can always resale it, I won't recover my full 1200 but I can take a loss of $200-400 depending on the resale value of the fathom 2. Thank yall so much for all the advice and help, it was a close call on the fathom or vitus that jcd46 posted but in the end the Giant won me out.

Bikesexual
    Well the search is over I rode a few Giants at my LBS and talked with a guy about choices and well Just put a down deposit on the Fathom 2. I was thinking of spending around $200 at most...but that was also thinking I could get something decent at walmart. Just didn't know how expensive things could get but I didn't want to spend $500 and it not be right or couldn't do something and than have to spend even more than $1200 for something that can tackle just about anything. And I also figure if for what ever reason I don't get into mtb or it's not my thing I can always resale it, I won't recover my full 1200 but I can take a loss of $200-400 depending on the resale value of the fathom 2. Thank yall so much for all the advice and help, it was a close call on the fathom or vitus that jcd46 posted but in the end the Giant won me out.
    Good choice man, enjoy!

Don't worry, you will fall in love with riding!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

monster member
    good choice investing some extra money. It seems like a lot, but you get a lot of tech in that price, and anyway, health is better than wealth! If you bought a cheap bike, you may have hated it and given up on the hobby. The better bike will be more enjoyable with less maintenance and keep you interested better. Enjoy the new toy!
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    good choice investing some extra money. It seems like a lot, but you get a lot of tech in that price, and anyway, health is better than wealth! If you bought a cheap bike, you may have hated it and given up on the hobby. The better bike will be more enjoyable with less maintenance and keep you interested better. Enjoy the new toy!
    Thanks Wheelspeed, Exactly what I was thinking. Wanted to give myself the best chance to fall in love with this sport. I was trying to respond sooner but I keep getting a "Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here" But clicking does nothing and sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn't

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Too late now but you should have bought used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by castlefield View Post
    I tried looking for used but majority were local pick up and nobody really lives near me*that has a good used bike*. Also buying used is scary, you never know exactly what you're getting and I also get to support my LBS buying from them and I get to pay it off over time instead of a huge chunk right at once. And I couldn't find anything I wanted used.

jcd's best friend
    Congrats on the bike! I didn't like the Fathom and I ended up selling mine by end of last summer. Don't let my experience detract you from trying it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by castlefield View Post
    New bike day is a lot more fun than used bike day

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    New bike day is a lot more fun than used bike day
    New-to-me (or even new again) Bike Day can be pretty awesome, all the same. Or such has been my experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Fathom 2 is plenty of bike to get into the sport. Good choice.

If you haven't found it already, check out the clydesdale forum on this board (it's for big guys). There are lots of guys on there, many beginners in the sport, with weight loss as a goal.