mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Need Help/Advice On Purchasing A New Full Suspension

I've been riding a 26" Hardtail for about 18 years now. While she's been good to me, and served me well, I'm ready to turn the page and upgrade to a full suspension bike. I have demoed a Trek 29er when the first came out. The ride was amazing and I was sure I wanted it. As you know, life gets in the way. Since then I realize technology has changed the game. 1x, dropper posts, 27.5", etc.

I will be attending Outter Bike in Moab this year in October. I plan to demo as many bikes as possible.

Any advice on which manufacturer I should be focusing on? I'd like to keep the purchase in the $2,000-$2,500 range.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I made the jump to full suspension this year, so far, so good. That being said, my trails are perfect for a hardtail. My justification is comfort and a bad back. I lost a lot of efficiency on the pedals but the trade off is a Cadillac ride. Talk to the reps at outerbike. Tell them your bottom line on price. Iím sure you can get a great bike for your hard earned money there.
    I never come close to paying full retail, last years unmoved inventory is usually 25-50% off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    I made the jump to full suspension this year, so far, so good. That being said, my trails are perfect for a hardtail. My justification is comfort and a bad back. I lost a lot of efficiency on the pedals but the trade off is a Cadillac ride. Talk to the reps at outerbike. Tell them your bottom line on price. Iím sure you can get a great bike for your hard earned money there.
    I never come close to paying full retail, last years unmoved inventory is usually 25-50% off.
    Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    In the $2k range, you can get a full suspension, mid travel aluminum bike with "budget" components to mid-teir components.

For example, Giant gives you a lot in their price points. But my favorite advice is buy the bike you fall in love with after a demo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    In the $2k range, you can get a full suspension, mid travel aluminum bike with "budget" components to mid-teir components.

For example, Giant gives you a lot in their price points. But my favorite advice is buy the bike you fall in love with after a demo.
    Solid

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    look for brands that sell directly online while you are at outerbike. one that comes to mind is Canyon, but there are others. you will get more for your money. hopefully there will be some options like that at outerbike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    look for brands that sell directly online while you are at outerbike. one that comes to mind is Canyon, but there are others. you will get more for your money. hopefully there will be some options like that at outerbike

I agree with this! I recently purchased a Commencal Meta TR and love it! I almost purchased a YT Jeffsy, also in your range. The sale at Commencal was the deciding factor for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Any problems buying online and not having local dealer support?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwkscr View Post
    Any problems buying online and not having local dealer support?

I have had no problems at all.

First online purchase from Canfield Brothers. No issues with the bike 6 years later. Emailed Canfield multiple times before ordering and they were very quick to respond and helpful regarding my sizing fit questions.

Second was complete bike through Competitive Cyclist, Santa Cruz Heckler. Bike arrived almost fully assembled. First issue was headset would come loose. Could not figure it out. CC was very helpful but ultimately a user on MTBR noticed the crown race may be upside down. CC and Say ra Cruz agreed and offered me any headset and crown race they sell for free, including Cane Creek 110 or King. This was like dealing with an LBS but I didn't have to leave house and CC and SC folks are very polite and professional, so better than my LBS experience.

Second issue with Heckler is I broke frame in 2017. Contacted CC with pictures. They got in touch with SC and right away new frame authorized no cost. But it gets better because Heckler was retired. SC said choose any aluminum frame they sell. I chose Tall Boy. But had to wait for color I wanted. SC said color is not coming and asked me if I wanted a Carbon Tallboy instead. Fantastic outcome.

CC and SC are great to deal with.

Knolly Endorphin September 2017. I bought from a small o line seller with sale. I did not like that seller but frane has been stellar-no issues. I had couple questions when frane arrived and Knolly answered right away.

Service I got on first 2 above was better than any I got from LBS. Last was similar to LBS blah service but price was stellar, and no issues with bike. Knolly stands behind their products.

Let me wRn you that if choose a bike discounter like Bikes Direct, you are getting your service in the price paid, don't expect a lot if flexibility.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have had no problems at all.

First online purchase from Canfield Brothers. No issues with the bike 6 years later. Emailed Canfield multiple times before ordering and they were very quick to respond and helpful regarding my sizing fit questions.

Second was complete bike through Competitive Cyclist, Santa Cruz Heckler. Bike arrived almost fully assembled. First issue was headset would come loose. Could not figure it out. CC was very helpful but ultimately a user on MTBR noticed the crown race may be upside down. CC and Say ra Cruz agreed and offered me any headset and crown race they sell for free, including Cane Creek 110 or King. This was like dealing with an LBS but I didn't have to leave house and CC and SC folks are very polite and professional, so better than my LBS experience.

Second issue with Heckler is I broke frame in 2017. Contacted CC with pictures. They got in touch with SC and right away new frame authorized no cost. But it gets better because Heckler was retired. SC said choose any aluminum frame they sell. I chose Tall Boy. But had to wait for color I wanted. SC said color is not coming and asked me if I wanted a Carbon Tallboy instead. Fantastic outcome.

CC and SC are great to deal with.

Knolly Endorphin September 2017. I bought from a small o line seller with sale. I did not like that seller but frane has been stellar-no issues. I had couple questions when frane arrived and Knolly answered right away.

Service I got on first 2 above was better than any I got from LBS. Last was similar to LBS blah service but price was stellar, and no issues with bike. Knolly stands behind their products.

Let me wRn you that if choose a bike discounter like Bikes Direct, you are getting your service in the price paid, don't expect a lot if flexibility.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Good info!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well after Outerbike and looking at bikes, I ended up getting a Giant Trance 27.5. Took it out on The While Enchilada the day I got it.

Amazing ride!!

mtbr member
    Nice!