Need Fork Help - Co-op DRT 1.1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Need Fork Help - Co-op DRT 1.1

Hello, I am a new member here and I just received a Co-op DRT 1.1 from my kids for Fathers Day. While I know this may not be the 'preferred' frame to make a decent build from, because it came from my kids, I plan on upgrading it to be what I want and keeping it for the long-run. So far I have ordered new pedals and grips and now looking at 'larger' upgrades.

With this, the bike comes with SR Suntour XCM 34 forks and I am looking at upgrading (currently looking at FOX). Ill be honest, I am not only new to customization, but I am uneducated on what measurement really matter when looking at ensuring a new fork will properly fit my current frame. Any help on this would be great!

Any recommendations are welcome (other than getting rid of the frame).

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That frame is fine, congrats on the new bike. How much do you weigh, what kind of riding do you do (XC, trail, etc.), what is your level of mountain biking experience?

mtbr member
    it appears to me that the bike in question has a "straight" steerer tube on the fork. most modern forks that would be an upgrade have a "tapered" steerer tube, which means the bottom of the center tube in the fork flares out from 1-1/8" to 1-1/2". the bottom of that tube will not fit in your frame, so your options will be very limited.

you might be able to benefit from the Suntour upgrade program- https://www.srsuntour.us/pages/upgrade-program

bikes in this price range are usually designed with the idea that people who buy them are going to ride them as-is until the wheels fall off. they come with entry-level parts to meet the lowest price point possible, but still build a decent bike. putting a lot of money into this bike might not be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I weight around 195 and I ride easy to moderate trails Now but would enjoy more difficult trails. I am relatively new to riding on trails but hoping to build a decent build that can last me a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nphillips63075 View Post
    I weight around 195 and I ride easy to moderate trails Now but would enjoy more difficult trails. I am relatively new to riding on trails but hoping to build a decent build that can last me a while.
    As a previous poster mentioned, straight steerer forks have fallen out of favor, but there's nothing wrong with straight steerer forks and you can still find them. A quick search on eBay, for instance, found an offering with this title "Black 2019 Manitou R7 PRO MRD M30 R-Seven M-Thirty Suspension Fork 26 27.5" with straight steerer options available."

You could also buy a used major brand fork and send it in to have it tuned to your weight and terrain.

I'd go 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nphillips63075 View Post
    Any recommendations are welcome (other than getting rid of the frame).
    Besides straight steerer, you'll have to look for quick-release dropouts instead of thru axle... unless you're throwing money at wheels too.

As mentioned, there's a Suntour upgrade program. Maybe look at this:

https://www.srsuntour.us/pages/upgrade-program

https://www.srsuntour.us/products/ep...nt=29038021251

Your intentions are admirable, but I was only half joking in your drivetrain post -- you'd be way ahead getting a better quality bike and paint it to match the REI bike.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    OP, with regards to comments about your bike, I'd like to offer two observations: (1) It's all relative, and at that price I think that bike will serve you well until you can outride it. When you can outride it, you'll know what you want, can drop $1500-$8K on a higher-end bike, and throw some slicks on that one and use it for urban duty. (2) There are a lot of very experienced and highly knowledgeable riders on here, there are also plenty of guys with a gear fetish and marginal riding skills (I don't think that's true of the posters on this thread, but it is a thing). I too have a bike that some would say was designed to be ridden until the wheels fall off, a 1998 Diamondback with a rigid fork, and it's still doing duty as my urban ride (My trail bike is a $5.5K MegaTrail, but I worked my way up in bikes as my skills progressed).

After thinking about it though, I wouldn't put too much into a higher spec fork...the Suntour upgrade program mentioned above might be the best bang for the buck, but I'll also offer that good tires will probably increase your enjoyment more than a fork, in the beginning at least.

Ride the heck out of it, build up your skills with youtube vids and meetup rides, have fun, and put a few bucks away here and there for your next bike. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Great advice, thanks.