mtbr member

Need F/S Bike Reco - $3K limit

Hey gang!

I am looking to upgrade my current bike which is a 2017 SC Chameleon 27.5+ D build. It is my second bike - first was a DB Mason Trail. I ride a fair amount for a 48 yr old that needs to drop LB's...I will probably be around 700-800 miles this year. I have a couple of awesome trail systems real close to me here in GA. I have enjoyed my HT Chameleon - I bought a lightly used Demo that came with a warranty and I have been supremely impressed with the warranty / service. Almost to the point that SC might be my first choice for a F/S bike. I went through a cracked frame and cracked rear hub and SC was great about the replacements. I would say I am fairly hard on a bike....I am 6'0 235lbs and ride like I stole it most of the time. I jump and drop fairly often and feel like I am always changing gears under load or tension....much of which is just lack of skillset tbh. But the warranty / service is very important since I have had my bike in at my LBS often - replaced rear derailleur, chain twice, BB and front chain ring recently.

95% of my riding is on fairly technical single track with lots of climbs, roots, rocks, jumps, drops and flow trails. A couple times a year we take our bike to downhill spots and next year we will go to a DH park with lift or shuttle I am sure.

I also think I may do a few local races next year. I am super competitive, with a college athletic background and did triathlons for a few years including racing in the IM World Championship in Kona in 2010. I am not fast but I love racing and just being around fit, fast racers I think I will jump in a couple Clydesdale or Sasquatch divisions next year just to see how much it will hurt lol.

The only FS bike I have tried was a 5010 at a demo event last year and liked it....it was only for a couple of miles. My LBS has both the new Bronson and 5010 and both look great but my budget is $3000'ish so the 2019 Bronson R+ might be a bit out of range. I know there is a 5010 D+ build but I am not sure how it compares value wise to other sub $3k bikes. I also see a couple 2018's on sale but not sure if any have the 2.6" tire..I really dont want to go below that if possible. My LBS has a demo 2018 5010 he will let me have for $2600 out the door but the spec sheet for it (SC 5050 AL R) is showing 2.25 and 2.3' tires but I just prefer larger if possible.

There is a bike event coming up at my local trail so I plan to ride but are there any other brands in the sub $3k I should look at based on my ride type, trails etc?

EDR
    Jenson has a Mojo3 RockShox or Fox spec build for 3499 you might want to check out. Comes with 2.8 NObby Nics on 30mm rims, but can run smaller tires as well (boost spacing fork/frame). If you are not familiar with with Ibis do some research. They have a big following and are known for c/s. 7 year warranty on carbon fiber frame, not bad.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-02-2018 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    have you looked at the direct to consumer brand? YT has great bike under $3k that is specced equivalent to bikes that are more expensive. Jeffsy should be plenty for what you need and occasional bike park. Or Capra if you want more.

Canyon and Commencal are two other direct to consumer brand.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    I have been looking at a couple bikes that are direct but keep reading issues with the Spectral and the cracking / welding issues with the chainstay. Makes be nervous. I also think I want to go with a 2.6' tire and i think some or most of the others are 2.4'......just seems like such a skinny tire for me. I have a local dealer where I bought my chameleon offering me a 2018 5010 R build out the door for $2600 with full warranty but its the skinnier tire....argggggghhh

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Take a look at niner bikes, google around. You can find a lot of their bikes on closeout online for under $2300. A custom 27.5+ wheelset should fit into the frames if you want to run B+. B+ is really more in line with 29er wheels than true 27.5 wheels. A lot of people use the Jet 9 as a XC bike or light trail bike. Jenson is actually selling the bike with a 130mm fork. If your doing downhill lift service I would just rent a bike when you travel so you can ride a 170mm bike and not risk damaging your 130mm bike going off a big drop. They have other more agressive models as well on closeout but they just wouldn't be as good at XC racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    That price range? YT Jeffsy for sure.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Can you have the Jeffysy with a 2.6Ē tire?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yeah, I'm almost positive 2.6 is the max it can fit.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    any reason why you have to have 2.6" tires? i ride rocky and rooty New England trail with DHF 2.35 front and rear (soon to upgrade to 2.5 front) and i don't see a need to go any wider, at least in the rear...

On Hardtail, probably makes sense to have thicker tires on rocky rooty trails, but on FS, 2.3 / 2.4 works just fine....
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    I think itís comfort and confidence. Iím 6í1 235lbs and a bit older and probably ride above my pay grade lol....I just like the bigger tires tbh

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Guerrilla gravity Shred Dogg?