mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Need to build a strong wheel for my new bike.

Heya

So I am about to drop the trigger on a new bike. The C'dale Cujo 1. I am a big powerful guy and the riding I do is rocky chunky messy and plain hard on wheels.

I fully expect to have to build a stronger rear wheel and soon. I am looking for an affordable strong and 36 spoke rim for 27.5 +. the bike comes with a WTB stx i35 32 whole.

Is there a good choice I can start looking for?

I currently ride sun rims Mammoth rear and Rhyno lite front cause they are all that has stood up to me. I clearly dont care about weight just solidity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    so as an addendum I got the bike and what do you know I so far have not needed to worry about the stock wheels for now.

Set them up ghetto tubeless yesterday for my first ever time doing it. I am a long time professional mechanic and I have never had to do a tubeless setup at the shop, embarrassing no?

Ok so next question. I am thinking of building a second set of wheels for this bike as a 29'er for the eff of it and I am looking for suggestions on hubs. This bike comes with an 11 sp boost hub with a 4mm old style QR. No through axle in back and I am looking for a R hub to build my second set with. Any suggestions that are decent quality 32 h but not too spendy?

I suppose I could get another formula hub but what else is out there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Bachner View Post
    so as an addendum I got the bike and what do you know I so far have not needed to worry about the stock wheels for now.

Set them up ghetto tubeless yesterday for my first ever time doing it. I am a long time professional mechanic and I have never had to do a tubeless setup at the shop, embarrassing no?

Ok so next question. I am thinking of building a second set of wheels for this bike as a 29'er for the eff of it and I am looking for suggestions on hubs. This bike comes with an 11 sp boost hub with a 4mm old style QR. No through axle in back and I am looking for a R hub to build my second set with. Any suggestions that are decent quality 32 h but not too spendy?

Check out Hadley Hubs

I own a pair of ten year old Hadleys. They are still bulletproof after all these years.

I just picked up a new pair for my new bike build.

mtbr member
    what width you want? carbon rims 35mm 520g 40mm 570g?
    OXIVE carbon MTB wheelset2017 lightweight T800 and T700 24 27 30 33 35 40 42 50mm width www.oxivecarbon.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Bachner View Post
    This bike comes with an 11 sp boost hub with a 4mm old style QR. No through axle in back and I am looking for a R hub to build my second set with. Any suggestions that are decent quality 32 h but not too spendy?

Hubs
    Formula 110x15 front, Boost QR 141x9mm with HG driver rear

Wow, I didn't even know Boost QR existed until this minute. I can't think of any other brand that makes it.