My son joined riding team, recommended upgrades?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

My son joined riding team, recommended upgrades?

My son (13) recently joined a riding team and is riding a lot more. I want to get him a couple upgrades for Xmas.

His bike: Diamondback 2018 Overdrive 2 (27.5)
    https://www.rei.com/product/124895/d...-275-bike-2018

He wants:
    1. Upgraded fork. Our budget is $250-$300.
    2. 18 speed to 11 speed conversion (derailleur, etc).

Any recommendations that fit his bike? Thank you!

g=9.764m/s2
    Shimano M6000(Deore)10sp, M7000(SLX)11sp, or M8000(XT)11sp drivetrains run 180 - 250. You’ll see groupsets on UK sites but Shimano no longer permits cross market sales so US is your only option if that is where you are. Manitou Markhor is a great fork option to fit your budget, give performance and a weight savings.

Less yap more braaap
    I'd say work on the contact points first because it makes it more comfortable.

Pedals, grips, and saddle.

Stick with flats for the time being before going clipless (if the coach is good and knowledgeable then they'll know when to recommend switching to clipless).

- Good pedals include the Raceface Chesters (composite) or Aeffect (alloy)
    - For grips I love the ODI Ruffians but there's other brands out there.
    - For saddle WTB has a number of options but isn't the end all be all there's ones like Selle Italia, Fizik, Fabric, Ergon etc.

As for the fork, Suntour still does the fork upgrade program and you could get a discount on a Suntour Raidon https://www.srsuntour.us/pages/upgrade-program

I don't think you need to go 1x11 just yet. Get some better tires first. The Kendas are good (a friend of mine runs Small Block 8's on their commuter) but look at a few other options and maybe even tubeless (or go ghetto tubeless). I'm in love with the WTB tire offerings (I run WTB Crossboss tires on my CX/gravel bike and WTB Vigilantes on my AM/Enduro bike)

As for 11 speed just be careful with the hub. Just be sure that the cassette body will fit the 11 speed cassette or you may need to get a new hub/wheel. 9 to 11 speed should be okay it's just the 7 speed that isn't compatible with 9 speed (first hand experience trying to help out a friend).

I'd rather go with a 1x10 system with all Deore components (Deore M615 does come with a Shadow+ clutch I know this because I have the same setup). The M615 will comfortably do 11-36 (possibly even 11-40). I went 11-42 and needed a goatlink/roadlink to move the derailleur a bit and clear the last cog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
    I'd say work on the contact points first because it makes it more comfortable.

Pedals, grips, and saddle.

Stick with flats for the time being before going clipless (if the coach is good and knowledgeable then they'll know when to recommend switching to clipless).

- Good pedals include the Raceface Chesters (composite) or Aeffect (alloy)
    - For grips I love the ODI Ruffians but there's other brands out there.
    - For saddle WTB has a number of options but isn't the end all be all there's ones like Selle Italia, Fizik, Fabric, Ergon etc.

As for the fork, Suntour still does the fork upgrade program and you could get a discount on a Suntour Raidon https://www.srsuntour.us/pages/upgrade-program

I don't think you need to go 1x11 just yet. Get some better tires first. The Kendas are good (a friend of mine runs Small Block 8's on their commuter) but look at a few other options and maybe even tubeless (or go ghetto tubeless). I'm in love with the WTB tire offerings (I run WTB Crossboss tires on my CX/gravel bike and WTB Vigilantes on my AM/Enduro bike)

As for 11 speed just be careful with the hub. Just be sure that the cassette body will fit the 11 speed cassette or you may need to get a new hub/wheel. 9 to 11 speed should be okay it's just the 7 speed that isn't compatible with 9 speed (first hand experience trying to help out a friend).

I'd rather go with a 1x10 system with all Deore components (Deore M615 does come with a Shadow+ clutch I know this because I have the same setup). The M615 will comfortably do 11-36 (possibly even 11-40). I went 11-42 and needed a goatlink/roadlink to move the derailleur a bit and clear the last cog.
    Really good advice. 11 speed is significantly more money than 10, and he will need 29 sooner than you think. (so save some money while you fix this up)

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the input.

I went to my local bike shop and they also recommended the Manitou Markou forks.

They didn't think upgrading the driveline to 1x made sense because the cost starts making getting a new bike a better value.

If my kid sticks with the team he'll probably get a 29er next year. So I'm not looking to spend too much on his current bike.

I'm getting the Manitou forks. Any other small upgrades that you recommend?

g=9.764m/s2
    For small upgrades, like Tier1 mentioned Chester flat pedals, some grips and a saddle. If it still has the chunky Kenda Nevegals, replace with fast tubeless XC tires with decent side lugs for cornering grip like Vittoria Mezcal or Maxxis Ikon.

mtbr member
    Buy him a Sram NX 1x12 groupset, it comes with cassette, crankset, chain, derailleur, and shifter, just be sure before buying that is everything compatible with his bike

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Upgrade the fork to a high end 100mm 29er fork. Then upgrade to a high end 29er frame and high end 29er wheels next year. Keep the same drive train.