mtbr member
    May 2018

My first upgrade...Need Crank set for Scott Aspect 770!

Hi all, I'm a newbie and need help with the crank set and bb on my Scott Aspect 770 27.5 21-speed.

After 4 months of riding, the stock parts can't take my abuse anymore. The crank arm bolt keeps loosening and distorting the crank arm square-tapered fitting. I replaced the crank arm and bottom bracket and the problem happened again.

Currently I have:
    Shimano crankset (FC-TY50 24/34/44 with riveted chainrings)
    Bottom bracket (BB-UN-100 cartridge)
    Front Derailer Shimano FD-TY50TS6 31.8mm

What's a decent crankset/bb I could upgrade to that would be more durable and not break the bank?

Thanks, Mike
    My first upgrade...Need Crank set for Scott Aspect 770!-20180504_160925.jpg
    My first upgrade...Need Crank set for Scott Aspect 770!-20180504_161158.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
    Hi all, I'm a newbie and need help with the crank set and bb on my Scott Aspect 770 27.5 21-speed.

After 4 months of riding, the stock parts can't take my abuse anymore. The crank arm bolt keeps loosening and distorting the crank arm square-tapered fitting. I replaced the crank arm and bottom bracket and the problem happened again.

Currently I have:
    Shimano crankset (FC-TY50 24/34/44 with riveted chainrings)
    Bottom bracket (BB-UN-100 cartridge)
    Front Derailer Shimano FD-TY50TS6 31.8mm

What's a decent crankset/bb I could upgrade to that would be more durable and not break the bank?

Thanks, Mike
    Do you have a budget in mind? M590/M610 Deore might work well and IMO are surprisingly good for the price. You'd need a new BB as you'd be going to external bearings, but it would be a pretty good upgrade from a square taper setup.

Also, are you planning on having a LBS install or DIY? If LBS, I would recommend just going in and seeing what they're interested in selling you. Sometimes a LBS will have a leftover parts from old builds if you're not too picky what goes on. If you DIY, you'll need the right BB tools. That's not something I would jury-rig a tool for; it's not difficult but if you do it wrong the frame could be kaput.
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oh, also keep the gear count in mind. Most upgrade cranksets will be for 9 speed or 10 speed so that could cause issues. (Btw, because of compatibility, its more common to say the number of cogs on the cassette, so I would refer to your Aspect as a 7-speed or 3x7 as opposed to 21).

6-8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 each use their own set of progressively thinner/closer cassettes/chains/chainrings/shifters/derailleurs. There's various cross-compatabilities but they are mostly unsupported and might cause headaches. A 9-speed crankset may or may not run well with a 7-speed bike. It ought to fit and personally I wouldn't hesitate to try, but if it doesn't shift well up front you might re-use your original chainrings (just make sure BCD is the same when you order so that they fit!). But if you can find a crankset that supports 7 speed, that's a better scenario.
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    Do you have a budget in mind? M590/M610 Deore might work well and IMO are surprisingly good for the price. You'd need a new BB as you'd be going to external bearings, but it would be a pretty good upgrade from a square taper setup.

Also, are you planning on having a LBS install or DIY? If LBS, I would recommend just going in and seeing what they're interested in selling you. Sometimes a LBS will have a leftover parts from old builds if you're not too picky what goes on. If you DIY, you'll need the right BB tools. That's not something I would jury-rig a tool for; it's not difficult but if you do it wrong the frame could be kaput.
    My budget is around $200 all in. I'd have a bike shop install it. It looks like the M610 includes a hollow BB for around $100. Not bad! Could I keep my existing derailers and chain?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
    My budget is around $200 all in. I'd have a bike shop install it. It looks like the M610 includes a hollow BB for around $100. Not bad!
    In that case, I would definitely try to source the part from them too and let them deal with the mix-and-match issues. You might pay a little bit more, but if they're a good LBS you're paying for their knowledge and assurance to deal with it. I can tell you what I think may or may not work, but they can look at it, try it, and make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFresh
    Could I keep my existing derailers and chain?
    Probably. If you swap the crankset and keep your original chainrings, the only new variable is the chainline/spacing between the rings. That usually doesn't vary a ton if at all. Of course I can't promise anything, there's always a bit of compatibility risk with these things.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    If you swap the crankset and keep your original chainrings, the only new variable is the chainline/spacing between the rings. That usually doesn't vary a ton if at all. Of course I can't promise anything, there's always a bit of compatibility risk with these things.
    Thanks for all the info, Ghost. It really helps clarify how I should approach the fix. Hopefully I can plug-n-play a new crank set on my Scott w/o replacing additional components such as chain/derailleur.

I've been searching the forums today. Like you said, many people have success using 9-speed crank with a 7-speed cassette and chain. I'll run it past my LBS and see what they think. I know I'll need new chainrings bc they are riveted into my existing crank/spider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No problem and good luck. Searching and asking is the right way forward and if you've got a good LBS they should be able to sort it out nicely.

Oh, and I should probably warn you about the dangers of upgrading. My first upgrade was in 2001, a handlebar that fit better. Since then I've built 3.5 entire bikes from spare parts. It's as addicting as it is rewarding!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Oh, and I should probably warn you about the dangers of upgrading. My first upgrade was in 2001, a handlebar that fit better. Since then I've built 3.5 entire bikes from spare parts. It's as addicting as it is rewarding!
    Best addiction I've had in a long time. Love the jumps. Next is bigger tires and air fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not a bad plan. Any Shimano Deore or SLX crank w/bb should be an easy swap. If you want a step above Deore, SLX cranks are great.

https://blueskycycling.com/collectio...acket-10-speed

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Not a bad plan. Any Shimano Deore or SLX crank w/bb should be an easy swap. If you want a step above Deore, SLX cranks are great.

https://blueskycycling.com/collectio...acket-10-speed
    Wow that's a deal. How is it so cheap!? What specs should I be verifying on my bike to make sure this crank set would work?

Aspect 770 specs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Older model.... Didn't think your bike still had a 7 speed cassette. That crank might not work, the 7 speed chain might be to wide. Sorry for inaccurate info.

Aside from the wide chain the bottom bracket will fit your frame, chain line should be about right, might need to adjust the front derailleur.

But the 7 speed chain is going to be the issue upgrading to anything new. Ghost_03 has it right, might want to take it to the LBS to have them source something new that will work or something old that will work.

Or get a crank puller & something like this should work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-ALT...UAAOSwoJNa1x4k