Not a regular
    Jan 2004

My 650B Convesion

I've had this 26" wheel ti frame (it's an old prototype of nothing that ever came to production and is a bit cobbly) built up for a while with the Fox F100X fork. After building a set of 650B wheels for a purpose built 650B frame I've got in the works, I think to myself "Hmmmm, that old ti frame has a lot of clearance. I wonder..." Well, the result and photos speak for themselves. Turned out pretty darn perfect - almost like the frame was made with 650B wheels in mind. BB height is at 12 5/8", IIRC. Now I just need to make some time to head for the hills and ride the durn thing - maybe tomorrow if it isn't raining.

Very nice fork clearance. And the tire to crown dimension is in the 115mm + range for this 100mm travel fork.

Good c/s clearance - and this shows the horrible crimping job of the stays - but hey, it rides nice

A little 26/650B/29 comparison. This one's too big! This one's too small! This one's just right.

A little ride report once I get some miles on the wheels.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike. Actually bikes plural! Who made the black 29er frame? And the Ti frame - is that a WTB sticker or was that a prototype for WTB at some point in time?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Nice looking bike. Actually bikes plural! Who made the black 29er frame? And the Ti frame - is that a WTB sticker or was that a prototype for WTB at some point in time?
    Thanks. The black frame is a Blackbuck by OS Bikes. And yep, that was a prototype frame for them quite a few years ago - good guess.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Nice!

Mike,

NICE WORK! I really can't wait to hear the ride report on the WTB... Especially from someone who is obviously tall enough (from the looks of your bikes) to fit comfortably on 29" wheels.
    The dimples are in such an ideal position that one has to wonder if that bike wasn't designed for 28" wheels back in the day???

BTW: I dig the posters hanging up in the background. I have one of each hanging in my office as well!

PS: Some interesting news from Manitou here: http://hayesbicyclegroup.blogspot.co...1_archive.html

nothing relevant to say

Good work!

This is great! I'm guessing the Ti frame is a Potts build. And, are those Toggle Cam brakes on the rear of the Pheonix?!
    Thanks for the 26-27.5-29 comparison! Looks great! Careful, too much B'r and you'll be hooked.
    Definitely Blog worthy! My I hi-jack the images?? I''l give the proper credit! And a Link to the blog....????

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    This is great! I'm guessing the Ti frame is a Potts build. And, are those Toggle Cam brakes on the rear of the Pheonix?!
    Thanks for the 26-27.5-29 comparison! Looks great! Careful, too much B'r and you'll be hooked.
    Definitely Blog worthy! My I hi-jack the images?? I''l give the proper credit! And a Link to the blog....????
    Not a Potts build. If you could see the details up close, you'd definitely not put Steve's name on it. But it's ti and has good geometry. It rode very nicely in its 26" life and I expect it will do the same as a mid-size.

Sure, hi-jack away. Let me know if you have questions or would like some additional info/dimensions. And, yes, those are toggles on the back of the Phoenix (it's getting a Type II with rollercams up front soon too )

Witty McWitterson
    Looks real good Mike!

I'm toying with the idea of doing a conversion my self. Not exactly sure if I'll head the HT route or the FS route though....Time and of course $$ will be the deciding factors.
    Just a regular guy.

pedal pusher
    Cool build up! That frame looks a bit odd by today's standards with the short top tube and foot-long (+/-) stem, but otherwise a nice bike.

mnt bike laws of physics
    You are so funny Mike. They really do look just right....the middle one that is.

Thanks for the pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Save me some money

I have a Raleigh Ram 4.0 with a Fox f100R front fork that I was going to 69 this winter with a Reba SL fork. I would assume that the F100X is the same fork dimension-wise just with compression and lockout. This will be a much cheaper alternative that will still raise my front end a little and give me the "rollover" I am looking for. Thanks for the great picture!
    Last edited by jmjones; 12-05-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Cool build up! That frame looks a bit odd by today's standards with the short top tube and foot-long (+/-) stem, but otherwise a nice bike.
    Actually both those bikes have top tube lengths between 24" - 24.25". The 150 stems are just because that's what I like on those two bikes because it fits

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    ssmike,

Do you have a Haro Werx SS frame to try a rear 650b wheel in?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    ssmike,

Do you have a Haro Werx SS frame to try a rear 650b wheel in?
    Not any more. Check out this post for tire size. You should be able to use these dimensions to check your frame for clearance. I had run a 700 x 45 tire in one of those frames with some filing of the s/s bridge for clearance. I'm guessing one of the tires would fit, but you should confirm with the dimensions in the mentioned thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0