Mojo 4 vs 5010 V4- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 72 of 72
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    337

    Mojo 4 vs 5010 V4

    These two are both so similar... and I'm having a hard time choosing. The 5010 was announced just the other day and both backs are very close in terms of the numbers on paper. Which would be the "more fun" bike? SC doesn't have a very detailed specs list and they have yet to respond on fork specs allowed on their frames.

    Like I mentioned in other posts this mid-travel FS bike I'm planning to build will be a from scratch project, and I know either will put a huge smile on my face, I just want the biggest smile lol... The SC has more versatility with more shock options than the Mojo I believe... and probably a more burly frame. GAH! What do you all think?
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

  2. #2
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,838
    Their numbers are extremely close. Hard to say. If I was buying a complete bike, I'd be ordering an ibis. The parts specs at all the pricepoints are better values. The SLX mojo in particular.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    540
    I haven't ridden the new versions, but demoed the previous ones and found the Mojo to be a more fun, playful bike. The SC always have a solid but a little dead feel to me.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,233
    I own a 5010 v3, and love it. If I were buying today, I'd probably choose the SLX mojo4.

    I'd guess that you could put a dpx2 (inverted) and still fit a water bottle. The dpx2 wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.... don't really have long, extended downhills here.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    99
    + Bird Aether 7

    Itís been out since January, but with no fanfare.
    https://www.bird.bike/aether-7/

    Itís really about what suspension do you prefer. D-W link (mojo), VPP (5010), Horst (Aether)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    337
    The bird looks good but I'm looking for a Carbon FS. Which is why I pitted these two together. I've never tested either D-W nor VPP this will be my first FS bike.

    I was thinking of doing the same thing (if it were at all possible) inverting the rear shock so the reservoir would face towards the top tube... but it would seem the reservoir would be too wide. I'm interested in a DPX2 and a Fox 36 Factory 150mm 44mm rack (I was told by Will, no more than 44mm rack due to stability issues)...
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadbrochills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I own a 5010 v3, and love it. If I were buying today, I'd probably choose the SLX mojo4.
    Same. Sadly.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,480
    I've always found the Ibis bikes to be a little more fun and the SC bikes to be a little more utilitarian in ride feel. JMO. Also don't discount aesthetics if all else is equal. I once had a bike that made me cringe every time I stepped into the garage (Pivot Mach 4 Carbon-27.5). The new SC bikes aren't that bad, but that new lower shock placement makes pretty fugly bikes IMO. Some hate the organic look of the Mojos but I much prefer them to the Santa Cruz frames. I know, I know, it's just a bike, not a wife/girlfriend, but if I'm not stoked to see it and get on it then I might not ride it as much. Kinda like a girlfriend...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    337
    A bike is an investment and the time spent riding and having fun with the bike can be comparable to that of a girlfriend/wife. Obviously, if you like what you see in a woman you're going to keep looking at her and wanting to "ride" her too, heh. Also, having fun with her will directly represent having fun hitting the trails too... so, it's a good analogy that you've picked.

    I have an Ibis DV9 and she is very aesthetically pleasing. I do like the design cues and flow of how Ibis makes their bikes. I also have an Orbea Loki (Also a Laufey) and their bikes are sick too... I haven't been very fond of the jagged sharper looks of the SC but you can deny their performance. After putting some sexy components (jewelry) on her I'm sure she will look sexy however she is and in whatever light... hmmm... I think I'm losing myself thinking of my girl rather than the bikes?! O.o
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I own a 5010 v3, and love it. If I were buying today, I'd probably choose the SLX mojo4.
    Me three (v3 5010 owner). The new 5010 looks too heavy and burly for me (at least on paper). Not sure which Mojo build I'd get, but most likely Ibis over the SC

    Ibis colors are better, and I agree with the above aesthetics of the lower link shock. I do not like the way the new 5010 looks. The Ibis frame looks like a piece of artwork. Again, YMMV.

    Also, I like that the Ibis builds have 35mm wheels, where SC is 30mm. I like to run 2.6" tires, and they work better on the larger rims.

    That said, I LOVE my v3 5010. It is the girlfriend I cheat on my wife with, lol.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    409
    I saw 5.9 pounds for the Mojo4 frame with DPS shock. Has anyone seen a weight for the 5010?

    I had my LBS order the Mojo4 last week, before I knew that a new 5010 was also coming. So far I don't see any reason to regret my decision. My current ride is an Ibis HD3 and it has been by far the best bike I've owned. After 5 seasons I'm ready to try more modern geometry, and a little less suspension will work well for the trails I ride.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackem View Post
    ....

    Itís really about what suspension do you prefer. D-W link (mojo), VPP (5010), Horst (Aether)
    This. VPP and DW bikes tend to ride a bit differently.

    Also, if you're only after carbon - Transition Scout?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    409
    Youtube competition:

    Pat Smage on Mojo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feEFsMEc8Do

    VS.

    50to01 Guys on 5010
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqNWhozifQ

    Unfortunately the skills don't come with the bike. At least we know the bikes are capable.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    49
    Coin toss really, which brand you like better

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by klatekin View Post
    Coin toss really, which brand you like better
    I'm sure we can't go wrong with either bike... it's a tough decision... one moment I'm sure it's the mojo then the next I'm looking back over to the 5010.... *sigh* both look very capable among the videos that are out there now...
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

  16. #16
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    My current ride is an Ibis HD3 and it has been by far the best bike I've owned. After 5 seasons I'm ready to try more modern geometry, and a little less suspension will work well for the trails I ride.
    I relate to that. Really, really liked my HD3 and if I were in today's market, I think the new Mojo would be dead in my sights.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    31
    I recommend spending a couple days in Santa Cruz riding both bikes. It shouldn't take long to decide which one you like better.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bizango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    421
    I vote for the M4. Demo'd the last version of the 5010 and liked it, but my M3 has been wonderful and I have had no regrets. I'm looking for my next bike and was pretty convinced I was getting a short travel 29er (Ripley, Izzo, etc) just to try something different for a while, but the M4 dropped and stopped me in my tracks.

    I've found that bikes carry the personality that the company values in how a bike should ride, i.e. an ibis rides like an ibis and a Santa Cruz will ride like a Santa Cruz (super generally speaking). Based on that, another point of reference would be ride comparisons between the Tallboy and the Ripley. The character of those bikes will give you a loose analogy of what to expect between a 5010 and M4. The general opinion seems to be that the ibis will favor playfullness and climbing and the SC will be more in its element going down. Remember though we're probably talking subtleties vs them being outright different bikes.

    I agree on the comments regarding how the bike looks. Enjoying looking at your bike can be a big part of the overall enjoyment of owning it.

    Lastly, I've been at bike demos and the ibis folks are typically some the nicest ones there. In general I get a good vibe from the company.

  19. #19
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,828
    If you are like me you often battle buyer's remorse or second guess every big purchase. Don't do it, be happy! The M3 is a great trail bike. Easy to move around, climbs great and just a blast to ride. I have no doubt the M4 will be the same.

    Look at it this way. The 5010 is kinda fugly, but probably rides great. The M4 is SUPER sexy, and probably rides great!

    Second guessing will suck the fun out it for you. If you ordered the 5010 and the M4 dropped tomorrow you'd be in the same place thinking, "ah man, that Mojo 4 sure looks good". Get STOKED on that new M4 frame coming your way. Check tracking #'s daily and take the day off from work when the UPS truck is out for delivery!!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    337
    Lol

    Luckily for me, I haven't ordered either. Just trying to get the insights of those who have owned the previous models. I own an Ibis already, the DV9 and I'm more incline to their design cues over others but I'm not biased, just want to have fun
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dude!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,249
    I think it comes down to a few differences between these two bikes...ignoring the obvious weight, builds, and DW versus VPP

    1) Ibis will allow for a longer dropper, and with a guy with short legs this is key
    2) Santa Cruz will allow for a more aggressive shock, though even in their FAQs, they recommend sticking with an air shock.
    3) the Ibis is a tad longer in the spread (BB to bars) adjust to a similar stack height (using spacers) and stem length.

    For me, the Ibis will fit better geometry and allow for a longer seat dropper, and could run a more aggressive shock giving up the bottle.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I think it comes down to a few differences between these two bikes...ignoring the obvious weight, builds, and DW versus VPP

    1) Ibis will allow for a longer dropper, and with a guy with short legs this is key
    2) Santa Cruz will allow for a more aggressive shock, though even in their FAQs, they recommend sticking with an air shock.
    3) the Ibis is a tad longer in the spread (BB to bars) adjust to a similar stack height (using spacers) and stem length.

    For me, the Ibis will fit better geometry and allow for a longer seat dropper, and could run a more aggressive shock giving up the bottle.
    Yeah the Ibis with a DPX2 seems to fit the bill. That was literally the first thing Uber bike guy Jeff Kendall-Weed did when he got his new Mojo4. I also wouldn't mind trying it with a 150mm airspring too. All that being said and done...Yeti's SB140 is a badass bike I think. Probably does enough of everything so well that you'd not miss much from the Mojo4/5010 and it'd likely still shred a big shuttle day too.

  23. #23
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,828
    Quote Originally Posted by }{yBr!D^ View Post
    Lol

    Luckily for me, I haven't ordered either. Just trying to get the insights of those who have owned the previous models. I own an Ibis already, the DV9 and I'm more incline to their design cues over others but I'm not biased, just want to have fun
    My bad. I thought you were somebody who said you already ordered and were having second thoughts. Back to the headspace game for you, good luck.

    As a current generation m3 owner I'd probably order an m4 here shortly if it wasn't for the concern over the recommended fork offset.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by }{yBr!D^ View Post
    I'm sure we can't go wrong with either bike... it's a tough decision... one moment I'm sure it's the mojo then the next I'm looking back over to the 5010.... *sigh* both look very capable among the videos that are out there now...
    I like variety so would probably pick the 5010 since you already have an Ibis in the DV9

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Yeah the Ibis with a DPX2 seems to fit the bill. That was literally the first thing Uber bike guy Jeff Kendall-Weed did when he got his new Mojo4. I also wouldn't mind trying it with a 150mm airspring too. All that being said and done...Yeti's SB140 is a badass bike I think. Probably does enough of everything so well that you'd not miss much from the Mojo4/5010 and it'd likely still shred a big shuttle day too.
    I have ridden the SB140 and it is pretty slow ripping AM and trail trails. It pedaled ok but the not nearly as fast as my 5010 shredding down smoother to moderately chunky tracks. So for me the SB140 would only be good as a second park/freeride bike.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by C Smasher View Post
    I have ridden the SB140 and it is pretty slow ripping AM and trail trails. It pedaled ok but the not nearly as fast as my 5010 shredding down smoother to moderately chunky tracks. So for me the SB140 would only be good as a second park/freeride bike.
    The SB130 I demoed last year was significantly slower on flats and climbing than the Ripley I demoed. However, on the downhills, the SB130 was better. Both 29ers, but I would expect similar results with the SB140 vs Mojo. I would classify the SB140 along with the Transition Scout. Both likely better at downhill, but dogs at climbing or flat/rolling terrain. YMMV.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by C Smasher View Post
    I have ridden the SB140 and it is pretty slow ripping AM and trail trails. It pedaled ok but the not nearly as fast as my 5010 shredding down smoother to moderately chunky tracks. So for me the SB140 would only be good as a second park/freeride bike.
    How was it slow going downhill? Just curious. Makes sense it wouldn't be snappy like the v2/v3 5010's going up.

    I think a lot of that "snap" that the 5010 had was due to the fairly firm suspension platform. It didn't get you much small bump compliance (or whatever its called) but pumping that through the flow trails and popping off of every little thing easily would be sweet.

    That being said, I think the new shock setup is going to be a step closer to Yeti's SI which has great small bump/technical climbing but isn't as firm. It'll be interesting to hear from v2/v3 5010 riders and to see what they think about the v4.

    From what I can tell the newer Bronson is definitely more of plow bike (for a 27.5) than the old one and a fair amount of that is the suspension design. Makes a lot of sense for a longer travel bike like the Nomad but I'm unsure about that for this shorter travel/play rigs.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    How was it slow going downhill? Just curious. Makes sense it wouldn't be snappy like the v2/v3 5010's going up.

    I think a lot of that "snap" that the 5010 had was due to the fairly firm suspension platform. It didn't get you much small bump compliance (or whatever its called) but pumping that through the flow trails and popping off of every little thing easily would be sweet.

    That being said, I think the new shock setup is going to be a step closer to Yeti's SI which has great small bump/technical climbing but isn't as firm. It'll be interesting to hear from v2/v3 5010 riders and to see what they think about the v4.

    From what I can tell the newer Bronson is definitely more of plow bike (for a 27.5) than the old one and a fair amount of that is the suspension design. Makes a lot of sense for a longer travel bike like the Nomad but I'm unsure about that for this shorter travel/play rigs.
    Right it just wasn't snappy.The trails I rode the SB140 on in Park City were fast up and down, twisty, with extended fast rocky descents. Standing to crank on the pedals or accelerate out of corners just took so much more energy as the suspension actuated. I was getting left behind by a rider I can beat down the hill on my 5010. I didn't get a chance to ride it on the old school downhills in the area or Deer Valley type trails, which the bike would definitely be better at. I live in Salt Lake and 97% of the trails are suited for mid travel bikes in the immediate local area. But I would definitely pick up the SB140 or Nomad for bike park and traveling to Moab and such.

    I also can't wait to hear peoples V2/V3 to V4 comparisons and I imagine the ride characteristic will be as you described. But I hope the V4 is still firm, or firm enough.

    Finally, I have never really been interested in the V3 Bronson. At that point I would just go full Nomad.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    278
    Ibis having great builds, on paper their bikes looks great, and the DW Link works good (still prefer SC lower linkage VPP), but Ibis frames are sooo ugly! and when im paying so much money, i want a bike that looks good as well.
    From these two i would go with the 5010, special if you're planing to build from frame.
    Also i would consider Transition Scout...

    Quote Originally Posted by C Smasher View Post
    Finally, I have never really been interested in the V3 Bronson. At that point I would just go full Nomad.
    If you can have only one bike, the Bronson v3 is a great option, but if you already having short travel bike and planing to add another one, then Nomad will be the right choice.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    823
    Ibis frames ugly? The new 5010 looks like it was put together with an erector set. That bottom section is just f**in ugly.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Ibis frames ugly? The new 5010 looks like it was put together with an erector set. That bottom section is just f**in ugly.
    Yeah, I agree. I don't see how anyone with eyeballs in the right sockets could think SC bikes look better than Ibis bikes. Those new SC's all look the exact same and are fugly a all f IMO. Remind me of something my kid would make in shop class.

    Edit: also, the top-end build on the 5010 is 30 pounds with pedals? For an 8K 27.5", 130/140 bike? For 8 grand, I bet I could easily build a Mojo4 around 27 pounds.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    417
    Name:  ibis.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.8 KB
    Name:  sc.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  38.2 KB

    According to Santa Cruz specs it has a 1 degree steeper STA

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    135

    Mojo 4 vs 5010 V4

    DW Link pedals way better than any VPP bike Iíve ever ridden. It also performs better under braking. VPP still suffers from brake jack in my opinion.

    Ibis is also American owned and operated.

    Santa Cruz is owned by the foreign investors that own VW, Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini.

    Id go with Ibis all day, the xtra length dropper is also very nice.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    99
    I always like Ibis for their short seat tubes.

    5010 chainstay length on large and x large might be relevant.

  35. #35
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Name:  ibis.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.8 KB
    Name:  sc.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  38.2 KB

    According to Santa Cruz specs it has a 1 degree steeper STA
    yeah looks are certainly subjective but man I don't know what people are looking at when they say the 5010 looks better than an Ibis?

    that 5010 looks like it was pieced together from three different bikes. Reminds me of a Mr. Potato Head. That m4 looks like it was hand sculpted by an artist from a single piece of clay. Gorgeous!

    I'd hang that frame on my wall if it weren't so fun to ride.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,480
    Gawd, that thing is even uglier when juxtaposed with a piece of art!
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    DW Link pedals way better than any VPP bike Iíve ever ridden. It also performs better under braking. VPP still suffers from brake jack in my opinion.

    Ibis is also American owned and operated.

    Santa Cruz is owned by the foreign investors that own VW, Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini.

    Id go with Ibis all day, the xtra length dropper is also very nice.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ibis's DWLink (especially with the new v2 Ripmo etc where they fixed the regressive stuff) is a modern marvel. Going up hill its wildly nice on the Ripmo's I've ridden with 145mm of travel. Like instantly noticable (I own a RM Instinct). My only issue with the Ripmo is that it kind of looks weird for a frame. The Mojo looks badass tho. As for the DWLink, Ibis's setup may not be ideal for soaking up heavy Enduro chunder because it retains some nice pop and playfulness, which is part of it pedaling so nice as well. Its DEFINITELY ideal for a fun focused mid-travel trail bike tho, hands down. I haven't ridden the new Mojo but as long as this version of their traction tune hasn't made it stick to the ground...the bike is a no-brainer.

    I actually like the look of the Santa Cruz bikes too with that low-slung shock...but yeah the Ibis with a DPX2 and not-a-fox-34 would be a killer setup.

    The STA stuff is such BS. As a tall guy, I hate the way they do this geometry metric. Its so bad and we need a new standard for it. You can easily see how Santa Cruz is just trying to game the numbers marketing here. Its baloney if you are tall. I do love that the chainstays grow with the bike tho!!! Its about time that started to become a standard thing.

  38. #38
    Rider
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    537
    The new Manitou Mara would be perfect on the Mojo.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    The STA stuff is such BS. As a tall guy, I hate the way they do this geometry metric. Its so bad and we need a new standard for it. You can easily see how Santa Cruz is just trying to game the numbers marketing here. Its baloney if you are tall. I do love that the chainstays grow with the bike tho!!! Its about time that started to become a standard thing.
    Yeah, with some bikes, like the new Santa Cruz, if your saddle is much above the head tube, you almost have to take the average of the Effective seat angle and Actual seat tube angle to be closer to YOUR actual seat tube angle.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

  40. #40
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    408
    The short answer is demo both. Paper racing is a waste of time, but like others I'd pick the Mojo SLX on paper based on value of the build.

    I have personally always hated the way DW link bikes pedaled where I have loved ever VPP bike I have tried; I know people who are completely the opposite and hate VPP bikes. Caveat being I have not tried a recent DW link bike and I keep hearing how great the RipMo and newer bikes are.

    I've been debating replacing my 8 year old Intense Carbine with something more modern like a Bronson, Mojo HD, or the bikes of this thread, however every new frame these days is portly and offer anything really compelling other than being long, slack, and low. Santa Cruz wont even tell us how portly the latest bronson/nomad/5010 cc weigh, may be because they're embarrassed that all 3 frames weight more than 7 lb with little difference in weight between them and cost a relatively absurd 3.3k. I'd normally demo them all but the days of free demos are done (outside of the SC Factory) and I am not paying 90 bucks a shot only to decide I'm not buying anything.

  41. #41
    Rider
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    537
    Isn't it strange how nobody will post a frame weight of the Santa Cruz bikes?

    Agree on portly. These warranties the consumers demand are causing over-built bikes. Ibis seems like the last one making light frames.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPA Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by dllawson819 View Post
    I recommend spending a couple days in Santa Cruz riding both bikes. It shouldn't take long to decide which one you like better.
    THIS is the answer...along with beers at Humble Sea
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/a rack on the back

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    278
    OP, just go and demo both of them and see which one you like more.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I don't see how anyone with eyeballs in the right sockets could think SC bikes look better than Ibis bikes. Those new SC's all look the exact same and are fugly a all f IMO. Remind me of something my kid would make in shop class.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    yeah looks are certainly subjective but man I don't know what people are looking at when they say the 5010 looks better than an Ibis?

    that 5010 looks like it was pieced together from three different bikes. Reminds me of a Mr. Potato Head. That m4 looks like it was hand sculpted by an artist from a single piece of clay. Gorgeous!

    I'd hang that frame on my wall if it weren't so fun to ride.
    Finally i found the Ibis fanboys club.

    Look\taste are certainly subjective, but if already the m4 looks like hand sculpted from fimo by blind amateur in a kinder garden class... instead of real artist.

    It's time they'll step up their game, stop being lazy, hire new, fresh n' creative designers team, and buried this ugly design they using for the Mojo/MojoHD in the past decade or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Isn't it strange how nobody will post a frame weight of the Santa Cruz bikes?
    Why would you care so much for a naked frame weight? if already, its more strange that Ibis never post their full builds weight...

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    99
    Naked frame weight matters because in the end everyone builds their bike differently.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    The short answer is demo both.
    Looking around I'm getting the feeling Ibis and SC released these bikes but there's none out there to buy or demo...

  46. #46
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackem View Post
    Naked frame weight matters because in the end everyone builds their bike differently.
    This. Especially because many of us upgrade frames but keep components through several builds. I have an XTR crankset I've used for like 12 years. Although I might just buy a complete now that you can't find OEM priced groupsets from abroad as easily.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Isn't it strange how nobody will post a frame weight of the Santa Cruz bikes?

    Agree on portly. These warranties the consumers demand are causing over-built bikes. Ibis seems like the last one making light frames.
    Treks are still reasonably weighted but you have to deal with proprietary everything and devil spawn press fit BB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Looking around I'm getting the feeling Ibis and SC released these bikes but there's none out there to buy or demo...
    Yes it's frustrating. The solution is to make friends with multiple dentists and ride their bikes.

    The SC factory demo in Santa Cruz is open again and they have said the have the 5010 available on social media. The Ibis Factory demo in SC is not yet open. I think some shops do have them for paid demo or will next week (at least one of the ones I follow on FB posted a picture of one).

    I don't know how you feel, but I really don't want to spend 90 bucks a pop to decide I'm not buying; most shop policies I've seen is that it's either a total loss or they will only apply it towards a complete bike or frame and very few shops sell more than 1 of the brands I'm interested in. Free shop demo days died around the same time as 26" wheels; 1 brand free traveling factory tours are all canceled for the foreseeable future; I've put off all buying plans for now because of this.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    98
    Lifetime frame warranty on 5010, 7 years for M4. Lifetime on bushings for both brands. M4 is a bit longer. Aesthetics are subjective, I think both bikes are beautiful, but both color choices on 5010 are matte finish, which was a dumb move IMO. For me it comes down to your LBS, mine sells SC, so it's 5010 for me.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfueler View Post
    For me it comes down to your LBS, mine sells SC, so it's 5010 for me.
    Ibis will also work with any LBS, as long as there isn't an Ibis dealer in that area. My LBS sells SC, but has ordered a few Ibis bikes for customers. You're not going to get any discounts, but you can still get an ibis, with a local point of sale, build, etc.

  49. #49
    Rider
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Treks are still reasonably weighted but you have to deal with proprietary everything and devil spawn press fit BB.
    That's true, and I forgot about Scott. But split pivots aren't on my radar, regardless of the fact that my local Trek dealer is a disaster anyway.

    I'm going to suggest a lightly used Mojo 3. Should be able to get them for cheap while everyone is distracted with the shiney.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    337
    Down here in Miami, there isn't an LBS with Ibis bikes and currently, SC LBS don't have the new 5010 in stock to demo in my size (M). I think both bikes look solid both have their artistic cues which makes them unique.. unfortunately, SC doesn't want to differentiate styling between their models for some reason but regardless if you know what you want and what you want to buy then all that matters is that YOU know what you bought. I also think the Mojo models throughout the classic to current should consider a redesign, keeping it similar with different geo doesn't make it still feel like a classic model.

    Having a variety in my aresnal (in terms of the brand) is always nice to have but I'm not trying to be married to any brand nor become a fanboy/loyalist either. I just want to have fun and if Ibis figured that out throughout their models then thats where I go lol.
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    135
    Fresh Bikes in Roswell GA has 5010s in stock. Free flight, several locations in Atlanta, also have 5010s in stock.

    Personally I still love the Mono/HD aesthetic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  52. #52
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    I'm going to suggest a lightly used Mojo 3. Should be able to get them for cheap while everyone is distracted with the shiney.
    I've stopped buying used for several reasons. The savings is usually marginal. Unlike 10 years ago, there are a lot more riders riding way harder; as such, I assume everyone has crashed their bike multiple times very hard, put them away wet, and have serviced nothing. The warranty on the rare occasion you need one has always been worth it (from SC anyway). Financially, I'm also in a very different place than 10 years ago as well. Now if you can get an m3 frame for like 800 bucks, that's a different story, but given what's on pinkbike right now, that's not happening.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post

    I don't know how you feel, but I really don't want to spend 90 bucks a pop to decide I'm not buying
    Totally disagree with you. $90 times a few different rentals is a small investment when you will spend 4 to 8 thousand dollars on a product. (or whatever you pay for a demo rental - I paid from $40-90 at different shops)

    I demoed bikes last summer, and had to pay for them all. Only the one bike demo that I ended up buying was applied to the final purchase price. I also demoed from different shops, to try the brands I wanted. Totally worth it.

  54. #54
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    408
    As an update, Jenson has the Mojo4 for order...with up to a 13 week wait lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by ehayes View Post
    Totally disagree with you. $90 times a few different rentals is a small investment when you will spend 4 to 8 thousand dollars on a product. (or whatever you pay for a demo rental - I paid from $40-90 at different shops)

    I demoed bikes last summer, and had to pay for them all. Only the one bike demo that I ended up buying was applied to the final purchase price. I also demoed from different shops, to try the brands I wanted. Totally worth it.
    Sorry for the thread jacking rant below.

    All the shops within reasonable driving distance of me (SoCal, LV, Southern UT, Sedona) charge on average $90 for these type of bikes. Say I demo 5 bikes. That's $450. I usually buy frame only; that's 15% of the total purchase price of a modern carbon frame. $450 is a set of high end brakes, or a carbon crank, or 3 sets of absurdly priced Maxxis or Schwalbe tires, or a GX level drive train; upgrades that I could apply towards an existing bike or new build. If I could use the demo price towards anything in the store, that would be a different story; lately I've seen shops not even willing to apply it as a credit towards a bike.

    If it was $90 per day and I could try 3 bikes, that's a totally different story, but shops no longer let you do that; even ones where you've been a long time customer. I don't really blame the bike shops; they need to make a living and I unfortunately live near riding destinations so there are a lot of out of towners renting bikes. It makes no financial sense for me, but I guess I can see how it does for other people.

    Factory demos/tours are the only way to try bikes for free now a days and even some of them are no longer free.

  55. #55
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,828
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    As an update, Jenson has the Mojo4 for order...with up to a 13 week wait lol.



    Sorry for the thread jacking rant below.
    bike
    All the shops within reasonable driving distance of me (SoCal, LV, Southern UT, Sedona) charge on average $90 for these type of bikes. Say I demo 5 bikes. That's $450. I usually buy frame only; that's 15% of the total purchase price of a modern carbon frame. $450 is a set of high end brakes, or a carbon crank, or 3 sets of absurdly priced Maxxis or Schwalbe tires, or a GX level drive train; upgrades that I could apply towards an existing bike or new build. .
    .
    All true. Conversely you could put that GX level drivetrain on a frame you ultimately don't like very much. Just say'n..

  56. #56
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,828
    ...

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    135

    Mojo 4 vs 5010 V4

    All the shops around Atlanta let you apply multiple rentals towards the purchase price of a bike.

    Having said that, I donít know why shops donít make you put a hold on your card and let you demo for free. They sell the demo at the end of the year anyway. It seems like a good idea.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    All the shops around Atlanta let you apply multiple rentals towards the purchase price of a bike.

    Having said that, I donít know why shops donít make you put a hold on your card and let you demo for free. They sell the demo at the end of the year anyway. It seems like a good idea.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe people that ride 4-5x a year would never buy a bike.

  59. #59
    Rider
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    537
    Buddy of mine has a Mojo 4 on order. I think he was calling them to order it back in April. He said they told him it won't be until November that he sees his bike.

  60. #60
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    All the shops around Atlanta let you apply multiple rentals towards the purchase price of a bike.

    Having said that, I donít know why shops donít make you put a hold on your card and let you demo for free. They sell the demo at the end of the year anyway. It seems like a good idea.
    This is how it worked when I lived in NorCal till about 2008 (free with them holding your CC and a copy of your DL) when I encoutered my first demo day where I had to pay ($45) but could be applied towards the purchase of anything in the store and I could take out as many bikes as I wanted as long as they were available that day. Then they changed the credit to apply to only frames and complete bikes and it was per bike demo'd; now it's YMMV but a lot do not apply it at all or put a cap of 200 dollars or so. This trend has spread to SoCal and the broader southwest region. (This was separate from demo days where you had to pay because the county park wanted a permit fee).

    I think it comes down to finances. Bike prices have nearly doubled since the mid 2000s for same "level" of build (a lot of it being due to droppers, carbon everything, Eagle cassettes, $80 tires, $900 forks and $500 shocks so you're getting more). To a bike shop a demo not being demo'd is wasted limited floor space which can no longer be treated as a loss leader and significantly eats into your inventory cost. If your shop is in a destination like Sedona or Moab where a rental bike will be out 60 days @ 90 bucks a pop and you can still sell the 6k bike at the end of the season for 3k, that's a different story. Or the factory sponsors and supplies the bikes which they write off as marketing cost on their balance sheets.

    I'm generalizing obviously, and I'm sure there are still shops even in Cali and adjacent states that still do things the old way, I just don't know them.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Buddy of mine has a Mojo 4 on order. I think he was calling them to order it back in April. He said they told him it won't be until November that he sees his bike.
    Did the shop told him whats the reason for this long waiting?
    Its because the demand is soo high? or because they didnt even start making them?

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Did the shop told him whats the reason for this long waiting?
    Its because the demand is soo high? or because they didnt even start making them?
    Probably because they are behind on production due to covid. If you search YouTube for regular people reviews and first rides of the 5010 and MJ4 theres very little out there.

  63. #63
    Rider
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Did the shop told him whats the reason for this long waiting?
    Its because the demand is soo high? or because they didnt even start making them?
    yes

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    409
    My shop was able to order a Mojo 4 medium a day or two after it was released (June 10). Ibis said the frame was in stock but they wouldn't be able to ship it for 3 or 4 weeks because they are so busy. The frame availability has likely changed since then. Glad I got my order in quickly.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Buddy of mine has a Mojo 4 on order. I think he was calling them to order it back in April. He said they told him it won't be until November that he sees his bike.
    This was the same with the new Ripley last summer. A 6+ month wait was the norm. For the Mojo, not sure how much of it is the same Ibis supply chain (they only make frames as they forecast sales, to avoid excess) and how much is COVID related.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19

    Different conversion rates used between companies?

    Odd how the 5010 v4 frameset is $100 less than the mojo 4 frame in Canada even though the 5010 is $299 more expensive In United States..

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by ifly3Dallday View Post
    Odd how the 5010 v4 frameset is $100 less than the mojo 4 frame in Canada even though the 5010 is $299 more expensive In United States..
    Must be in the tax on how itís imported.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    409
    Got my Mojo 4 on Monday. Loving it so far.

    Mojo 4 vs 5010 V4-img_0033.jpg

    More details here if you're curious:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/mojo-4-...l#post14861531

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Got my Mojo 4 on Monday. Loving it so far.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	1347633

    More details here if you're curious:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/mojo-4-...l#post14861531
    Nice! How is this iteration of their "traction tune"? Does it have a lot of Pop to it still or is it more planted this time? Also, how's it ride on some of the chunder?

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Nice! How is this iteration of their "traction tune"? Does it have a lot of Pop to it still or is it more planted this time? Also, how's it ride on some of the chunder?
    I'm not sure how qualified I am to answer since I went from a 2015 Mojo HD3 to the Mojo 4 and haven't ridden much else over the last few years. First impression is that the Mojo 4 with traction tune DPS jumps really well. I'm jumping higher, farther, and with more confidence than my HD3 (with Avalanche-modified Float RP23). The extra pop is probably a combination of a little less travel and the more progressive nature of the newer DW link. The bike feels very playful overall, but maybe slightly slower handling in some tight turns due to the longer wheelbase compared to the HD3. I haven't ridden very much chunder with it yet.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TandemBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Ibis frames ugly? The new 5010 looks like it was put together with an erector set. That bottom section is just f**in ugly.
    To this, I add, "You're entitled to your wrong opinion!"

    And by that, I mean, isn't it great that there's a bike out there for everyone's taste? Both can get the look they want. Can't go wrong! I, too, prefer the look of the Ibis. I've always been seduced by their look and realize that yes, the SC's often look clunky and lack refinement. But not all of them...

    I'm just delving into the search for a trail full suspension bike for the wife and myself. Really appreciate all the information I've read so far. Thanks!

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TandemBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    This. Especially because many of us upgrade frames but keep components through several builds. I have an XTR crankset I've used for like 12 years. Although I might just buy a complete now that you can't find OEM priced groupsets from abroad as easily.



    Treks are still reasonably weighted but you have to deal with proprietary everything and devil spawn press fit BB.



    Yes it's frustrating. The solution is to make friends with multiple dentists and ride their bikes.

    The SC factory demo in Santa Cruz is open again and they have said the have the 5010 available on social media. The Ibis Factory demo in SC is not yet open. I think some shops do have them for paid demo or will next week (at least one of the ones I follow on FB posted a picture of one).

    I don't know how you feel, but I really don't want to spend 90 bucks a pop to decide I'm not buying; most shop policies I've seen is that it's either a total loss or they will only apply it towards a complete bike or frame and very few shops sell more than 1 of the brands I'm interested in. Free shop demo days died around the same time as 26" wheels; 1 brand free traveling factory tours are all canceled for the foreseeable future; I've put off all buying plans for now because of this.
    No, SC Demo program is still suspended. Just emailed them asking when it will resume. The answer? Unknown, keep checking back. I had hoped to get on a waiting list, but nope, you just have to keep checking. Been reloading their site since spring, hoping they'll restart it.

Similar Threads

  1. New 5010 v4 for 2021?
    By richt2000 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 05:36 PM
  2. problem mounting Hope V4's onto a 5010
    By marjoseph in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2020, 08:01 PM
  3. Ripley V4 vs Tallboy V4.....
    By Unbrockenchain in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-07-2019, 12:23 PM
  4. 5010 V1 vs Bronson V1 vs Tallboy 1 vs 5010 V2
    By VERT1 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-26-2016, 02:10 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 02:20 PM

Members who have read this thread: 170

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.