MBAction: glowing review Jamis Dakar 650B2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MBAction: glowing review Jamis Dakar 650B2

The July issue of Mountain Bike Action has a glowing review of the Jamis Dakar 650B full suspension bike.
    Heavy, though and a bit expensive: 29.4 lbs/$5000

From the review:
    "This is the first time we have spent serious hours treating a dual -suspension 27.5-inch-wheeled bike and we can tell your right now you are not going to want to hear this. The thing is amazing. Really. The in-between wheel size proves to be the best of both worlds rather than a compromise between a 26er and a 29er. If we could turn the mountain bike clock back to day one, there is little doubt the wheel we'd start the revolution with would be the 27.5.

Rims on the test bike were American classic and tires were the WTB Wolverine Team.
    This review is not yet on their Web site.

mtbr member
    Thats not suprising, 650b's are better than 26" and 29" in most cases. I am switching over all of my bikes, either converting the ones I have ( if able to do so) or buying 650b ready bikes.
    I just hope that the 650b gathers steam in the future, as it should.
    I know 650b got into the fray a little late as 29ers were starting to take hold, but I believe if most of those 29er riders rode 650b first, and they readily availible, 650b would be the choice of most.

mtbr member
    Not that Mountain Bike Action is that credible, but it's good to see a raving review. This wheel size is in need of some momentum. I'm personally sold on this size. As for those that complain it'll take away from 29, more choice is better for us all.

I got the chance to ride a Pivot Mach 429 29er this weekend and did not like the slow handling of the 29 inch wheels. The rollover of the rear was only marginally better in my opinion. When I jumped back on my B6 I was very pleased with the perfect compromise this setup gives. 650b front rollover and grip with 26" rear acceleration.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    For those who haven't seen it...

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/reviews/index.html

Click on DAKAR SIXFIFTY B2

Cheers,
    KP

jrm
    mtbr member

Ok

the review seems more in awe of the wheel size and components instead of whole package. 5k for a 29lbs bike b/c its 650b seems a bit of a stretch.

mtbr member
    On the left if you scroll down, you can see that Mountain Bike Magazine also reviewed this bike last year. They weren't as positive about the 650b movement, though acknowledged it's virtues.

Yeah, at 29 pounds, this bike is a bit heavy. But than, so many new bikes are. The Pivot I tested was at least 28 pounds as well. A real pig compared to my 23 pound Truth B6 1X.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    the review seems more in awe of the wheel size and components instead of whole package. 5k for a 29lbs bike b/c its 650b seems a bit of a stretch.
    Hate to criticize two companies that have supported 650b, but you are correct and the WB Loop doesn't help with the cost or weight.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Hate to criticize two companies that have supported 650b, but you are correct and the WB Loop doesn't help with the cost or weight.
    Probably helps with the performance though, not that that matters to anyone.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

mtbr member
    Noah, the conversation was re: weight and price.
    The Loop is not a light fork. Probably one of the heaviest for it's travel.

I'm sure it performs well. I recently went to a coil fork, which was of course heavier than it's predecessor...and it rides like butter. Well worth the weigh penalty.

NedwannaB
    @ Noah, what kind of wieght issue is being claimed here? Your thoughts as I am looking to get a Loop for my converted 650 fs bike.

Thanks in advance-JMac
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Our LOOP weighs 4.1lb, which is slightly heavier than some of it's competitors. We're confident that the ride quality of the fork, in terms of stiffness and tracking, far outweighs the so-called weight penalty. Our goal has always been to have the most impressive fork on the trail, not on the spec. sheet.

The average American is 23 lbs. overweight anyway.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

NedwannaB

Touche~! Yah If the riders in question having issue with the fork weight would only loose 1% of that average, they'd essentually have a sub 2lb. fork!
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    weight at 29 lbs with joplin. which would add approx. 1 lb to overall weight. given that is is still 4 lbs lighter than my 5 in bike.
    The Jamis rep gave me an explanation abouit higher cost for the 650b2. She said that the low production numbers drive up the cost of production. You can also thro in the low demand for the 650b bike and lack of competiion from other manufactureres. sorta of like producing a one off specialty bike.
    still to high for me to take a chance at buying in to a new concept.

mtbr member
    does Jamis sell the frame separately?

mtbr member
    @june bug
    yep, and expensive.

mtbr member
    @june bug
    yep, and expensive.

dwt
    mtbr member
    So I showed the MBA article to the LBS where I live which is a Jamis dealer, and asked if he might be getting a demo. He basically said NFW, trashed 650b as a concept in general (said it was for "woman and children who can't fit on 29'ers"!), said there are too few parts now and no indication that the market would ever expand to include 650b in the foreseeable future. So keep your 26'er or get a 29'er.

I'm just thinking that 650b makes intuitive sense, and so does MBA's review. But apparently the industry is saturated with 26 and 29 and the third size is too much to handle - even if it is truly the optimum size!

Personally, I'm not making any purchase of 650b OR 29'er without demoing first. No problem finding a29'er demo, but it looks like it will be a problem with 650b.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

NedwannaB

Personally.....

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Personally, I'm not making any purchase of 650b OR 29'er without demoing first. No problem finding a29'er demo, but it looks like it will be a problem with 650b.
    With that attitude I wouldn't support that shop no matter which wheel size I went with, 26-27.5-29!

Just my $0.02.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Stores usually have demo bikes for the ones they think may sell a few, because after a while they sell the demo at a discount price. Your LBS doesn't think they sell any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Our LOOP weighs 4.1lb, which is slightly heavier than some of it's competitors. We're confident that the ride quality of the fork, in terms of stiffness and tracking, far outweighs the so-called weight penalty. Our goal has always been to have the most impressive fork on the trail, not on the spec. sheet.

Which travel option are you referring to w/ the 4.1 lb. weight?

RE: the 23 lbs overweight... I represent that comment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Jamis 650b2 2010

Not to be random but... I recently built up a new Jamis 650b2 frame I bought on e-bay and it is awesome! This bike is extremely fun to ride and I can't seem to think of enough good adjectives to describe it.

mtbr member
    BIKE magazine just published an article about 650b. It's in the latest issue. They like it. They talked to a lot of industry folk about it as well. Good write-up.

Moral of the story: who cares, just go ride. I thought that was pretty typical of their editorial bent and that is why I subscribe...

650b is here though, for sure. More choice is good. There never has been and never will be one bike to rule them all. It's just about you finding one bike that rules.

mk

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by winsail View Post
    Not to be random but... I recently built up a new Jamis 650b2 frame I bought on e-bay and it is awesome! This bike is extremely fun to ride and I can't seem to think of enough good adjectives to describe it.
    I also bought 2010 B2 frame on ebay last fall, build with used parts, including WB 650b Fluid fork 20mm thru (precursor to the Loop) and agree that the bike is the best I have ever ridden. Mine also has the Joplin post, which is another of those performance helpers which increase weight in the mix. Front wheel: ZRT 355 rim + King hub (bought used on ebay) Neo 2.3 tire; rear wheel hand-built with Blunt rim, XT M756 hub with 10mm thru axle, Neo 2.1. Neos are run tubeless. drivetrain is X-9, with big ring removed for bash. With all of that, I'm still sub 30 lbs. But its a 5" travel tail bike; it's not supposed to be a race bike. Even so, It still climbs like a goat and descends like a lion.

The MBA review was of the 2011 model, which has improved MP4 suspension, improved Loop fork, tapered headtube, and 12mm x 135 thru rear maxle. As I've said before, if the 2011 model is an "improvement" over the 2010, it has to be one helluva bike, and I'm sure it is.

I've also said before that 5-6" travel is where 650b will totally rule. Better roll than 26", more compact package and lighter than 29". Goldilocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Jamis 2010 650b2

I guess I should mention what my build is.
    650b2 Frame 2010, Fox rp23 2010 shock rear, Fox float R Fork 2010 15mm thru axle, All XT drive Train, Front wheel Stans 355 laced to Giant 15mm hub, Rear wheel Velocity Blunt SL laced to WTB Laserlite Super Duty 12mm x 135mm Hub, 1650 grams complete wheelset, Hayes Stroker Brakes 2010, FSA OS99 80mm stem, Salsa Pro Moto Carbon Bars, Joplin seatpost. My bike comes in at sub 29 lbs. I use this for x-country and light all mountain riding. I think if more people could get some riding time on a 650b they would be much more prevalent an the trails. If the newer model Jamis frame is better it should make anyone who takes a test ride a complete believer. I'm sold on this wheel size and am doing my best to spread the news. I applaud every manufacturer who has enough vision to support this obvious trend in our sport. Here is a list of people to support, Jamis, KHS, Velocity, Kirk Pacenti rims and tires plus complete support, Stans, American Classic, Soma, X-fusion, White Brothers, Alex Rims, Sun Rims, Kenda Tires, WTB for rims and tires, Rawland Cycles, Spooky Cycles, Ventana Cycles, Haro Bikes, Rivendell Bikes, Carver Bikes, Vicious Bikes, Weinmann Rims, Schwalbe tires, IRD tires, Panaracer Tires. I think these manufacturers will get a huge payback for their early commitment to a better wheel size.
    If I have left any out I apologize. That is always the risk when making a list.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Some 2011 B1/B2 leftover bikes are still available in the warehouse. Contact SixFifty.com above (they had a mint 19" demo bike last I knew) or have a local dealer contact Jamis to see what's available and work out a price. Substantial savings from the MSRP can be had if you find a dealer willing to work with you. I got a new B2 leftover for a could not say no to price from a local dealer. I really wanted the Mojo HD 140 but the frame price only put it out of reach at over 75% of my complete B2 bike that comes wonderfully speced. Also the Jamis has great mud/debris clearance and an ISCG mount. I'm now wating on a Sram XO spider/24/38/bash kit to replace the stock 26/39/spider/no bash. 24/38/spider kit has std. 64/104 bolt spacing so you can also use 22/36 rings if you choose. 26/39 to much for my terrain and legs.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    650b is here though, for sure. More choice is good. There never has been and never will be one bike to rule them all. It's just about you finding one bike that rules.
    Obviously no single bike can rule all terrain for all riders.

Most of us on the mtbr forum have multiple bikes used or different purposes and different terrain, so there ya go.

That said, certain GENERAL rules of thumb can be used to steer a particular rider to a particular type or class of bike for a particular need.

Obvious example that no one will dispute. If you are going to race X-C, you should stay away from ANY bike that weighs too much (insert your own cut-off) whether 29'er, 650b, 26'er, hardtail or full sus., and pointed toward a light bike. Very PROBABLY, but not necessarily, a 29'er hardtail.

Now, If you are going to ride difficult technical trails hard, up and down, you might be steered toward a 5" or 6" full sus trail or AM bike in the approx 30lbs range (so you can go up). You might like that bike with 26", 29" or 650b wheels. I know what works for me, but only riding the bikes on the trails will tell for you.

If you are going to ride gravity hard, fast and radical with big suspension; if you are going to dirt jump on a hardtail, you are not going to want 29" and not likely 650b either. Etc etc etc.