Maxxis Tire Real or Fake ? Please advise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Maxxis Tire Real or Fake ? Please advise

Hi,

I just bought a Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR Tire but the packaging doesn't have the carton tag with Maxxis Tire info. Please help to advise before I will use this Tire into my bike.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Tire Real or Fake ? Please advise-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Another Tire picture below

Here is the other pictures.

Demon Cleaner
    The OEM tires are like that. Same tire but white lettering. Also probably why it didn't have packaging.

I know because I just sold a pair off a new bike. But not DHRs!
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Thanks Structure. Yeah, why don't have packaging.

Trail Ninja
    I haven't seen the Maxxis 2.8 tires come with the usual plastic hang tag. I did see them come in a Maxxis logo mesh bag, coming zip-tied like that inside, but they were mega pricey then.

Tried to find any examples of the 2.8 and 3.0 tires coming with the tag, but no luck. 2.6 tires come with the tag, but not 2.8 and 3.0, I'm guessing.

I suspect that whoever sold you those tires, if they are yellow logo aftermarket tires, nabbed the mesh logo bag. If they have a white maxxis logo, then they are OE and have no packaging.

That pictured tire looks legitimate/real.

"The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warhorse View Post
    Thanks Structure. Yeah, why don't have packaging.
    If they are OEM tires, meaning they're made for, and only come installed a new bike, they wound't have packaging since they're not sold on shelves. Again, assuming they're OEM versions.

The difference in lettering could also indicate different model years. Other tire makers have done this over the years, not just Maxxis. Sometimes tires with different casings or beads will have different style lettering. I know WTB has done this.

In the end, my opinion, anyway, I doubt they're fake.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    If they are OEM tires, meaning they're made for, and only come installed a new bike, they wound't have packaging since they're not sold on shelves. Again, assuming they're OEM versions.

The difference in lettering could also indicate different model years. Other tire makers have done this over the years, not just Maxxis. Sometimes tires with different casings or beads will have different style lettering. I know WTB has done this.

In the end, my opinion, anyway, I doubt they're fake.
    I agree - it looks like tires that were taken off a new bike. I'd be surprised if they were fake.

Aug 2009
    ...if they are yellow logo aftermarket tires, nabbed the mesh logo bag. If they have a white maxxis logo, then they are OE and have no packaging.
    My Roscoe came OE with yellow logo tires, and I have seen white logo tires with plastic hang tag on the wall at my LBS. Not sure there's a method to their madness...

Trail Ninja
    I had a Yeti come with yellow logo Maxxis tires too.

It reminds me of the way Fox forks work. Aftermarket forks are made on a different manufacturing line and have slightly different internals--I have pics comparing a 36 Factory that was purchased aftermarket vs a 36 Factory OE. The decals and lower colors can be diff too.

OE are special bulk order at reduced unit cost. If a white logo Maxxis tire came with plastic tag, I'd suspect that it was not done at the factory. It wouldn't be hard to do this. A bike shop has a source of tags and slide it on and supply a big zip-tie, and you can charge more for a tire.

I personally feel like I'm getting marginally higher quality with the aftermarket version. Maybe a bike shop employee felt the same way and did a swap on their personal bike. Maybe Yeti felt that way too.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Tire manufacturers want to reduce the number of sku's they produce since everything is batch production and more sizes and compounds increase changeover time. It's very unlikely that Maxxis makes a separate OE version of their tires that's cheaper built than the aftermarket version.

Wanna ride bikes?
    It's a real tire. I have a Minion 29+ in retail packaging sitting here with the same zip tie on it.

There's a lot of intricacies with OE. OE from China/Taiwan, or OE US? For some models it's exactly the same tire with either white or yellow logo's, zero difference. I'm not sure if that holds across all tire models though?
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.