mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Which Maxxis Front Tire to Compliment Aggressor?

I had Maxxis Minions front and back on my bike in size 27.5 x 2.6. A Maxxis Minion DHF on front, and a DHR II in back.

They are great tires, but a bit of overkill.

I read a lot of great things about the Maxxis Aggressor, so I put a 27.5 x 2.5 on the rear. I still have unbelievable traction, but it rolls a bit faster.

So I'm looking for something that will very nicely compliment the Aggressor for the front. I still want the great cornering of the Minion, but without the overkill. Again Ė something that would compliment the Aggressor.

What would you guys recommend?

I'm with stupid
    If not the minon, why not another aggressor?

mtbr member
    Whatís the terrain like where you ride? I typically run Aggressor/DHF combo and I think it works great. A High Roller II could also work pretty well and would roll slightly faster than the DHF.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I believe the Aggressor is more of a rear-focused tire.

Great! Thanks for the advice. Somehow I overlooked the High Roller II.

I'm in NC and terrain is mostly flowing trails with too many roots, and some sweet, wonderful rocks thrown in occasionally. Most of the trails do not have berms, so cornering traction is high priority.

BTW - I suck in corners. So I want as much traction in corners to keep me from doing stupid things and washing out.

I was toying with idea of Rekon on front. But I don't think it will have the bite in corners. I like the idea of the High Roller II much better. It looks like it will be more aggressive than the Rekon, and a better fit with the Aggressor.

Thanks again - I think we may have a winner.

mtbr member
    Oh god...yeah if you want to trust your corners and have any ounce of traction on rocks and roots do not get a Rekon! lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i get the impression the high roller will have more rolling resistance then the dhf

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Why must it be Maxxis?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The DHF compliments the Aggressor really well. I find the 2.3 DHF paired with a 2.3 Aggressor offers a great compromise of dH performance and climbing performance.

I think if you paired the Aggresor with Forecaster (a faster rolling but lower grip tire) you might find the balance of your bike is off.

My typical Maxxis pairings are:
    2.5DHF with 2.35 DHR
    2.3DHF with 2.3 Aggressor
    2.35 Forecaster with 2.35 Ikon.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post
    I believe the Aggressor is more of a rear-focused tire.

Great! Thanks for the advice. Somehow I overlooked the High Roller II.

I'm in NC and terrain is mostly flowing trails with too many roots, and some sweet, wonderful rocks thrown in occasionally. Most of the trails do not have berms, so cornering traction is high priority.

BTW - I suck in corners. So I want as much traction in corners to keep me from doing stupid things and washing out.

I was toying with idea of Rekon on front. But I don't think it will have the bite in corners. I like the idea of the High Roller II much better. It looks like it will be more aggressive than the Rekon, and a better fit with the Aggressor.

Thanks again - I think we may have a winner.
    The HR-2 works really well for those who are good at cornering. If you are sticking your bike hard into turns at high lean angles it grips, but if are nervous to get the bike over the HR2 will not inspire confidence. It does not have knobs that work at medium lean angles.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    i get the impression the high roller will have more rolling resistance then the dhf
    Rim/tire width combo plays a pretty big part too. My personal experience has been that HRII rolled slightly better than the DHF but I havenít ridden that tire in years so there might have been other factors. I still think the DHF is the best front tire around haha, and pairs great with the Aggressor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Why must it be Maxxis?
    I've never had anywhere near the traction or confidence that I have when I bought a bike that had Maxxis tires front and back.

So why mess with success? I want to keep it simple and keep it Maxxis.