mtbr member
    Jan 2018

In the market for an upgrade

Hello all -

Been scouring the forum (net) for some good input on this and I reached the point where I gotta ask. Yes it's another "What should I get?" thread. I got back into biking last year around this time when I dusted off my ancient Haro Vector. I got bit by the bug after riding Hurley Park in NC while on a trip (I'm from PA). And now I'm looking to upgrade.

Here are my thoughts. Initially I thought I was going to do my pocket a favor and go with a Giant Talon 27.5. That was until I found the 2018 Giant Fathom 2. It has nice components that I would want with a price I'm willing to pay. I'd like to stay hardtail I don't see FS being utilized with my riding style and locale.

Questions:
    I know the 2X crank is not preferred, but I do 50% mountain and 50% rail trail with no grade. Will the 2X crank prove to be useless? Do I bump up to a Fathom 1 with a 1X crank or go Fathom 2 and upgrade later if I feel it necessary?

I've been questioning other bikes to throw into the mix. Specifically the Trek Roscoe 8 and Cannondale Cujo 1. The Cujo is at the top, if not beyond my budget. I'd like the bike to have a dropper post from factory, as I know I'll want that in the future. Thoughts on those two? I don't have a vast selection of brands in the area.

Thanks for your input! Lots of good information here!

Josh
    Jan 2018
    Ive had a 2018 Giant Fathom 1 29 since Feb. I have roughly 500-600 miles on it and its been a solid bike. SLX everything but brakes. I absolutely have no major complaints, the brakes are the only thing I will eventually upgrade. Also, the dropper switch isnt as nice as the under bar ones. And the suntour axon fork is good value. It feels just as good as a fox factory 32. At $1450 dollars the bike is a great value. I have no problem recommending it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought a Trek Remedy 7, so not the type of bike you're looking for.

But I will say this... I love playing in the dirt and the ONLY two bikes of mine that I will even consider taking there any more are that bike, and my Trek Farley 9.6 carbon fattie. Both are 1X chainrings and I never plan to take a multiple chainring bike on the dirt again. I've got bikes with Shimano SLX, XT and XTR drive trains that are multis, but I'll use those for road commuting. I don't need the speed of a 2X or 3X in the dirt, I don't need the overlap, I don't need the weight, I don't need one more thing to keep keep adjusted and fiddle with while riding. It's just another distraction while riding. Granted, my Remedy has my first dropper post... so I actually have another thing to fiddle with. But at least it's something useful!

When I walk past bikes in the stores with multiple chainrings, I just keep on walking anymore. My local trails have section of technical descents that change suddenly to steep uphill rock gardens. Only having to think about what my right hand is doing while picking my way through those is immensely more comforting than when I was working both hands through all of that. I know a hardcore racer who swore by his bikes with multis and thought that singles were stupid (he does a lot of road riding as well as mountain trail endurance events). But when he finally rode a nice bike with a single... he's been doing singles ever since. He's a far better rider than I am and his conversion truly justified my own feelings on the issue.

DFL
    Given the fact that you plan on riding rail trails, you may actually want a 2X for the higher gearing. When I was riding MUT I actually had a 3X8 and used most of those gears. Now that I have an exclusive dirt bike I am at 1X and don't regret it.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Given the fact that you plan on riding rail trails, you may actually want a 2X for the higher gearing. When I was riding MUT I actually had a 3X8 and used most of those gears. Now that I have an exclusive dirt bike I am at 1X and don't regret it.

I agree with this sentiment. But I would rather have multiple bikes when possible. One for the dirt, and one for the commute. It's not that a 2X is that hard, and up until a couple of years ago, I was using 3X drive trains in the dirt. But now that I've gone 1X, I could never go back.

Josh
    Jan 2018
    My bike has 111, 11-46 and I have no problem riding on the road. I generally spin out about 25 mph. But I live in coastal SC so I have no hills to deal with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have 1X (1 x 11), and I'll never go back to multiple chainrings.

You can always swap the front chainring for something smaller or bigger than your stock one if you find you need the different gearing.

I did the ratio math on my 1x compared with my old 3X dinosaur, and I have just as much gearing as I had before. Just in a much neater 1X package.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I went with a Fathom 1. Very pleased with the Giant. Only gripe is now Giant released a Fathom 1 27.5+, which initially I said if they'd make one these threads would not be started. In then end I'm liking the 1X set up and haven't felt the need to have another ring. If anything I stay off the rail trails more to get the most out of the bike.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    That figures!! Ha! Well, you have a bike. Sounds like you like it. Get out there and get it dirty! Whoo hoo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The giant talon 2 with a rock shox reba would be a super nice bike. You should be able to get that for $1250. If you can get specialized a lot of the shops will have sells right now. I would put this bike a good step above the cujo because it has a way better fork. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fu...=240177-129201. The giant fathom 2 is a really nice package as well. The two most important things are your frame and fork on a bike.