Marin San Quentin 1 iwth upgrades- good deal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Marin San Quentin 1 iwth upgrades- good deal?

Hey all-

Just curious what you guys think about this- locally I've found a San Quentin 1 with upgrade forks to the Fox 34 Float performance shocks, brand x ascend dropper post, cane creek 40 headset and raceface respond 40mm stem, and converted to a tubeless set up. They're asking $1100.

Other bikes I was looking at - Fuse, Fuse Comp, Santa Cruz Chameleon.

I'm getting back into trail riding, and any of these will be overkill (for now). Figuring over time I could always swap out other components. I was hopeful to find an end of season/leftover coming up in the next few months to save some coin. Only thing I'd be out is some of the warranty aspects.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Not a bad deal. Gently used? Its an ~850 bike new, but the Fox fork is worth ~500. The dropper should be decent and is worth another 100 or so. Both are worthwhile upgrades.

The der leaves something to be desired, as do the brakes, but it's not a bad platform to build on.

The "new" fork replaces the worst thing about it. The second worst thing, which probably isn't that big a deal, is the non-Boost open rear dropout, which would affect wheel choice later on, as well as have some influence on drivetrain.

One possible tell-tale. The headset probably didn't need to be replaced to change out the fork, which makes one wonder how hard it had been ridden (that is, was the OEM headset trashed).

mtbr member

What year are all of these and whatís the price on the other stuff?

The 2020 version of that Marin is only $829 at Jenson. If you are riding somewhere with hills you are going to hate that 1x9. A 32T front with a 36 rear is gonna suck.

The new fuse 27.5+ is like $1250 and pretty decent. Actually Iíd skip those and get a Diamondback Syncír when they come back in stock (I was told two weeks ago that they were supposed to have them). With the corporate discount they are under $1,000.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks all. The Marin dealer near me is actually no longer a dealer - he mentioned look at the diamondback's as well.

Everything on the used bike is listed as 2018. I haven't seen it in person yet- it's about 2 hours away. I was thinking I'd be in the same price range for other models that would suit me just as well and I'd have no questions as to the overall condition. The San Quentin just looked like a bike I really wanted to try out- and randomly finding this used one up in the north east fell into place. It seemed to me it was an OK deal, but figured other opinions would be helpful too.

mtbr member
    Iíve bought plenty of used bike but I really prefer them to be stock. You never know why someone replaced XYZ part and if it was done properly.

Whatís your max budget?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    Iíve bought plenty of used bike but I really prefer them to be stock. You never know why someone replaced XYZ part and if it was done properly.

Whatís your max budget?
    loaded question- ha ha. I'm a buy once cry once type of guy. I know I could do everything I'll probably do with a $800 bike. I know I'd push and do more with a $1200 bike (component wise), plus spend another $200 on that $800 bike for a dropper post/etc... Is it worth $2k to me to get all and then some? I could talk myself into it... even if it's not the best decision in terms of need.... however, I know I'll never be looking back and say could've/would've/should've.

In short- I'm OK spending a bit more to get more, if it's truly worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Odd thing about the SQ1. In addition to having lower spec components than the SQ2 and SQ3, it's a lower spec frame with the rear dropouts and no internal routing, a "Series 2," versus a "Series 3" for the 2 and 3 models.

It's generally a pretty good bike for its price point, as are most Marins these days, but that frame/dropout issue makes it less attractive than the others, in addition to whatever component criticism you want to make.

mtbr member

I just got that for $1800 used. Iíd keep looking.
    Last edited by Sickmak90; 08-20-2019 at 06:50 PM.

the half breed devil
    the marin hawk hill can be found in the $1500-$1700 range.

you lose the dropper, but get internal routing, a 1 x 10 drivetrain and serviceable components all around.

i'm saying this because i own one and quite like it--even though i've upgraded the dickens out of the bike.

Marin San Quentin 1 iwth upgrades- good deal?-img_5888.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks all. These were my rough thoughts- but being out of the game so long, figured to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk