Thread: Marin Hawk Hill

NedwannaB

Marin Hawk Hill

New trail bike inquiry. Who's got the skinny?

Thanks in advance-Jmac
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member

Marin Hawk Hill

I ride bikes
    There are quite a few reviews on it.

It seems like a simple budget built solid bike (especially for the money) that wont win enduro races but will put a smile on someones face.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    The NSMB review that Travis posted is a very good one.

It sounds like Marin really put a lot of thought into which pieces of the bike that would make the most difference to the ride experience. It looks like it offers a lot of performance for the price.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I've been on the bike a little over 100 miles now, coming from a 2016 Trek Marlin. Like others have said, you're not going to break record's on it, but it's a fun, solid entry level full suspension rig. The 1x Shimano drivetrain is solid and reliable, suspension has just enough adjustability for this level of bike, and the suspension uses Enduro Bearings with an amazing warranty. Lower suspension travel for a 27.5 but I've had it down blacks with no issues. Would recommend.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by evanchasee View Post
    I've been on the bike a little over 100 miles now, coming from a 2016 Trek Marlin. Like others have said, you're not going to break record's on it, but it's a fun, solid entry level full suspension rig. The 1x Shimano drivetrain is solid and reliable, suspension has just enough adjustability for this level of bike, and the suspension uses Enduro Bearings with an amazing warranty. Lower suspension travel for a 27.5 but I've had it down blacks with no issues. Would recommend.

Cool thanks. This is what I was looking for, real world testing! I have a 130 Revelation and XT 1x and brakes. Possibly a dropper too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Cool thanks. This is what I was looking for, real world testing! I have a 130 Revelation and XT 1x and brakes. Possibly a dropper too!
    Definitely pick up some decent pedals too if you end up getting one. It comes with some, but they're throwaways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Looks like a really good option in the lower price range. I think I am adding this one to the short list of bikes to check out for my next bike some time this year.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

NedwannaB
    Definitely pick up some decent pedals too if you end up getting one. It comes with some, but they're throwaways.

XT Trails are already in my parts bin....

mtbr member

Late to this game, but I'm looking at a slightly used Hawk Hill. If I get it I'd like to push it a little further toward the enduro side of the equation, but I realize it's not a thrash bike and will never be one.

That said, how's the tire clearance F/R? How big do you think one could go with rubber?

If you're able to tell, how much mechanical clearance at each end of travel is there for a slightly longer rear shock? Stock shock is 190x51. Going to a 200x57 shock raises the BB a hair and yields 134mm travel. 63mm gives 148mm. I'm a big guy and would run a lot of sag, but I wonder if I'd be clunking anything at top or bottom out. Chances are I'd upgrade the fork to 140-150mm first and just go 134mm at the rear, if ever. Just curious.

Other than that, how's the bike holding up? Thanks!
    Looking for the person who tapped and pinned a set of Shimano A530 pedals - can't find the thread! Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Also I'm 6'1" and looking at an XL. I'd replace the stem with a real shorty and hope to semi-duplicate the modern long-center geo. A longer fork in the future will help slacken it out. Thoughts?
    Looking for the person who tapped and pinned a set of Shimano A530 pedals - can't find the thread! Shoot me a PM. Thanks!