mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Looking for playful 27.5 trail bike recommendations

I have 29er trail bike with 130mm travel. It's good for the trails I ride but it kinda steam rolls things. Also isn't that easy to manual even with a short 35mm stem.

I want something for the more sedate trails and fireroads. Something that is easy to manual and easy to pop off features so I can catch some air. I'm thinking a similar travel in 27.5 might fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Rocky Mountain thunderbolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ditto on the RM Thunderbolt. Love mine and am building up a Carbon version. I have a Med 730 non msl frame for sale.

clint

mtbr member
    Adding too:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Ibis Mojo 3

Haven't ridden these, but similar with great feedback:
    Transition Scout
    Intense Spider 275
    Kona Process 134

Basically any short/medium travel bike with shorter chainstays are going to be 'playful' and easier to manual.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by KidConejo View Post
    I have 29er trail bike with 130mm travel. It's good for the trails I ride but it kinda steam rolls things. Also isn't that easy to manual even with a short 35mm stem.

I want something for the more sedate trails and fireroads. Something that is easy to manual and easy to pop off features so I can catch some air. I'm thinking a similar travel in 27.5 might fit the bill.

Without sounding too cliche, I do think 275s are more playful than 29ers. Even if the 275 is in the 6" travel range. My Mach 6 can handle park riding but because of its short wheelbase its still plenty full on regular trails.

From what I've seen, the Santa Cruz 5010 would be what you are looking for.

Dream it, Do it.
    Two others that you might check out:

DeVinci Django: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...-django-carbon
    Turner Flux: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...mm-rear-travel

I've also ridden the Cannondale Habit SE and GT Sensor but neither rode as well as the Django or the Flux:

Cannondale Habit SE: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...rbon-se-review
    GT Sensor: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...sor-carbon-pro
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Turner Flux

mtbr member
    What bike exactly do you have? To me you're trying to achieve something your bike obviously does not because of it's design, NOTHING to do with wheel size, absolutely nothing. My Banshee Phantom 29er with 17.4" stays, 68.5* HTA I can pop the front almost telepathically, so easy it's not funny, easy to move about/change direction etc, etc.
    I've hopped on countless other 29er trail bikes in this category and most have been horrible to get the front up or change direction compared to the Phantom. Suggest you look for the bike with the right geometry, once you find it it might have 26", 650B or 29" wheels, but wheel size won't be a factor in how playful it is as much as the geo.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    One of my riding pals just bought a 2016 Scott Spark 730 for close to $2k. Stiff carbon frame and nice SLX build. It is just what you're looking for. I like the C-dale Habit too, it's just as fast, and more of a trail hooligan. 2016 discounts are out there, just find the best build kit.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you put some practice time in.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    DeVinci Django without a doubt.
    29+ playfull come on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    5010, Mach 6, Django

Skip the Mojo

mtbr member
    Diamondback mason trail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JDUBku View Post
    5010, Mach 6, Django

Skip the Mojo
    Why, have you actually ridden one? Ridden any of the ones you recommended?
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll toss in my vote for the Turner Flux. Have 1 currently and it is so much fun.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jamis Defcon

Rocks belong
    Let's just name every 27.5 trail bike, shall we? Certainly a winner is in the group.

I agree that a 27.5 bike ain't gonna feel that much different than a 130mm 29er.

Maybe frame swap your 29er to something more playful (Evil Following, Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yea, Sorry. I own the 5010c and have significant time on both the Mach 6 and the Mojo. Don't get me wrong the Mojo is a very good bike, but compared to the others, even the Mach 6, its not "poppy" as requested by the OP. Granted everyone is different and an opinion is just that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    A little bias, and I have not ridden many others but I'd try a transition scout if you have a dealer nearby.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    another vote for the RM Thunderbolt. I've got the BC edition and it impresses me every time I ride it. Light, fast, flickable and will handle most everything I'm ever gonna ride. Its not a park bike or even a enduro bike, its a awesome trail bike that can handle the rough and rowdy side when you want to hit it

mtbr member

Knolly Endorphin... Frames on sale $1399

ZEN RIDER!
    Evil Calling
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ that's a good deal on the Endorphin.

mtbr member
    Depending on his height, he could take advantage of the deals Jenson has on right now on Banshee frames, 2 under $k. Wish I had the cash to snag one

Banshee Phantom Frame 2014 > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike Frames | Jenson USA
    Banshee Spitfire Frame 2013 > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike Frames | Jenson USA

Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Knolly Endorphin... Frames on sale $1399
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=LyNx;12986399]Depending on his height, he could take advantage of the deals Jenson has on right now on Banshee frames, 2 under $k. Wish I had the cash to snag one

[url=http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain
    The Endorphins are 2016

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Spider 275c or Mojo 3

I have time on a Thunderbolt, and I'm quite certain it's made for tighter twisty technical trails. If your trails don't have you snaking around trees, roots, boulders, logs, etc., with a lot of short bursts of accelerating you probably won't see that bike shine. It's a great bike, for the right person (pretty much anyone that rides forests and likes to use the word rally to describe their riding). It's still an above average bike if you spend a lot of time seated and spinning at a steady pace.

Mojo 3 is an easy riding cruiser that is surprisingly playful and fun. Can increase the tire pressure a bit and it'll pop off bumps. Spider 275c is just a well rounded trail frame that does everything well, especially high speed drifts in corners.

Personally, I put my money on a SB5c, since it's on sale. Thought it was a bit tall up front when I test rode it, but it was a very promising trail bike that had an indescribable high quality ride feel. Figure I could just lower the fork's travel to see if it balances out my only real peeve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Orange Four

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Can anyone here help me in selecting one among Btwin Rockrider 540 RED and Montra Rock 650B MD. ?

mtbr member
    I highly recommend Santa Cruz 5010 (version 2). A famous playful/poppy bike from SC.
    See how it goes playful with Ratboy (the black bike with yellow accents):

https://youtu.be/Rnwb36gF9e0

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C XX
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Got to ride the 5010 and it was a nice playful bike. It was the aluminum version and I think a cheaper build. The only real disappointment was longer drawn out climbs. Felt slow especially compared to my old 2016 Fuel 29er. Not sure why I didn't like it for climbing and maybe I just need to adjust to the different suspension design.

Next weekend I get to ride someone's Intense Spider so we'll see how that goes. Also trying to find someone with the RM Thunderbolt but from what I've read everyone says it need to be the BC version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You seem to be going the opposite direction than most people. You have a 29er, but you mention "more sedate trails and fireroad" which is where a 29er shines.

Just maybe you need a different 29er instead of basically the same bike with a different wheel size, something like the Canfield EPO or Yelli Screamy. 29er with short CS and aggressive Geo.

I already have a Carver 420TI or I'd be all over the sale on 2016 EPOs.
    SHOP Closeouts | Canfield Brothers Online Store

Or if you really want squish in the back, 2016 Banshee Phantom on sale as well
    OG Ripley v2

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Let's just name every 27.5 trail bike, shall we? Certainly a winner is in the group.

I agree that a 27.5 bike ain't gonna feel that much different than a 130mm 29er.

Maybe frame swap your 29er to something more playful (Evil Following, Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol)?
    The new Megatrail SS is even more playful than the Trail Pistol.

Looking for playful 27.5 trail bike recommendations-2017-megatrail-ss-hymasa.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Manuals are more about technique than bike. Is your suspension relatively fresh? Have you tried adjusting your settings for a different ride? Speeding up the rebound has a big effect on feel...
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 Megatrail SS hymasa.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	1116096
    Please elaborate.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    Please elaborate.

Wheels are smaller, less BB drop, chainstays are a little shorter yet

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hard tail, simple and fun. A nice 150ish travel front and no rear. On-one , NS Bikes , Ragley and a few others make them, I suggest a chromoly frame

mtbr member
    May 2013
    RM Thunderbolt. I own one, it's pure fun. Previously I owned a 29inch Element. To throw it around as I do the Element would have required a higher skill level from me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mike123456; 01-17-2017 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 Megatrail SS hymasa.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	1116096
    I'm sold! At lest emotionally as my Kona 134 is only 2yrs old and it will be 3x that before I'll be buying. I do demo every chance I get and none I've ridden seem to surpass the 134 for playfulness AND big-hit stable. I've got a feeling the Megatrail SS is the flick-able awesome successor.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I'm sold! At lest emotionally as my Kona 134 is only 2yrs old and it will be 3x that before I'll be buying. I do demo every chance I get and none I've ridden seem to surpass the 134 for playfulness AND big-hit stable. I've got a feeling the Megatrail SS is the flick-able awesome successor.
    I have a special place in my heart for my old Process 134. It really is a good bike. Not as flashy and somewhat forgotten compared to the new crop of bikes, but still a solid all around contender. Every single review complained about it being heavy and not an awesome peddler. But I built mine up with plenty of carbon and a 150 pike and it weighed just over 27 lbs. which is almost exactly what my Mojo 3 weighs and is less than a lot of bikes currently on the market. It was also lighter than the Transition Scout I replaced it with and regretted. No, it doesn't pedal like a DW or switch infinity or new vpp bike but with lighter spec it's not far behind.

In my search for a new build for the upcoming season I keep checking back on the Kona website thinking maybe...... I've moved on to boost wheelsets, so that's really the deciding factor at this point. If kona would update the bike to boost and maybe provide a carbon option I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

The 153 Process is an awesome bike as well. The only bike I've truly regretted selling. But it was a second bike for park and shuttle days and I flipped it for cash to upgrade the spec on my trail bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The more I read about the Tantrum bikes, the more I second guess my new bike purchase. There's that one with the 27.5 rear and 29er front that sounds like it could be what people who want the best of 29 and 27.5 are asking for. I came from being convinced that 29er were better, and switched to 27.5 for a better balance between outright speed and capability, and BMX and park riding. I kind of wonder if I don't have to compromise as much, picking or or the other, and have more of what I want through better designs... I see TwoTone says he has one incoming in his sig.

I have a ROS9 and can agree that a HT like it would be a blast, and a good companion bike to a FS, to have a contrasting riding experience. I can throw my hips/weight/inertia in a turn to whip the bike (do a cutty)... heck, throw it in any direction, letting the wheels come off the ground and really have fun with it, accelerating up to do it again repeatedly. I can do this on any bike, but it's so much easier to do on a bike like the ROS9 (the lesser resistance to these skills encourages more of it), yet still be able to ride it almost as hard and fast as a typical trail FS bike (with a bit more planning and conscious effort).

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    No, it doesn't pedal like a DW or switch infinity or new vpp bike but with lighter spec it's not far behind.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ride my pals Giant Anthem & Trance and a SC 5010 a bit. Yes those linkage pivot rear tri are way awesome, but my wheels are lighter than theirs are so the 134 really scoots when I push the pedals hard. I usually don't drop any of those guys (they can't drop me either) but when I want to really push them I'll use the Pedal setting on the Monarch. Traction will suffer on rough climbs so I won't do it there, but everywhere else it helps with the pedaling. It only helps a little, but like you typed it only needs a little bit of help to match them. Mine was 28.3lbs until I broke the CB Candies and put heavy XT Trail pedals on, and that's with an extra pound+ of dropper.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    I have a special place in my heart for my old Process 134. It really is a good bike. Not as flashy and somewhat forgotten compared to the new crop of bikes, but still a solid all around contender. Every single review complained about it being heavy and not an awesome peddler. But I built mine up with plenty of carbon and a 150 pike and it weighed just over 27 lbs. which is almost exactly what my Mojo 3 weighs and is less than a lot of bikes currently on the market. It was also lighter than the Transition Scout I replaced it with and regretted. No, it doesn't pedal like a DW or switch infinity or new vpp bike but with lighter spec it's not far behind.

In my search for a new build for the upcoming season I keep checking back on the Kona website thinking maybe...... I've moved on to boost wheelsets, so that's really the deciding factor at this point. If kona would update the bike to boost and maybe provide a carbon option I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

The 153 Process is an awesome bike as well. The only bike I've truly regretted selling. But it was a second bike for park and shuttle days and I flipped it for cash to upgrade the spec on my trail bike.

How would you compare the Scout and the 134?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zooey View Post
    The more I read about the Tantrum bikes, the more I second guess my new bike purchase. There's that one with the 27.5 rear and 29er front that sounds like it could be what people who want the best of 29 and 27.5 are asking for. I came from being convinced that 29er were better, and switched to 27.5 for a better balance between outright speed and capability, and BMX and park riding. I kind of wonder if I don't have to compromise as much, picking or or the other, and have more of what I want through better designs... I see TwoTone says he has one incoming in his sig.

I have a ROS9 and can agree that a HT like it would be a blast, and a good companion bike to a FS, to have a contrasting riding experience. I can throw my hips/weight/inertia in a turn to whip the bike (do a cutty)... heck, throw it in any direction, letting the wheels come off the ground and really have fun with it, accelerating up to do it again repeatedly. I can do this on any bike, but it's so much easier to do on a bike like the ROS9 (the lesser resistance to these skills encourages more of it), yet still be able to ride it almost as hard and fast as a typical trail FS bike (with a bit more planning and conscious effort).
    Did you read the latest review from a demo ride in the AM forum? I can't wait.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    How would you compare the Scout and the 134?
    Well, I bought the scout in a small when I should have went with medium. I'm typically between those two sizes and it's always a crapshoot for me without demoing a bike beforehand. I'm learning that in general, going with the medium in short travel, short chainstay, "playful" bikes is a better idea for me. That does depend on other geometry factors though and I'm not committed to that viewpoint.

That said, the scout was super twitchy and not stable at speed. I never OTB'd as many times in my life as I did on that bike. I have more scars from those few months than ever before or since. Also, it really wandered on the uphills, a trait that I can't stand from any bike. I tried three different stem lengths and multiple bar height combos before I gave up. It seriously felt like a bmx bike though and was a wheelie machine, FWIW.

That's not a great review on my part but that was my experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    There are lots of good options listed above. I agree it is easier to manual some bikes over others, especially bikes with short chainstays. Weight has a lot to do with how playful a bike feels.
    Reading the OP posts, the most fun bikes I've ridden would be:
    Intense Spider 27.5c Pro - easy to manual, very fun on mellow and technical trails, pedals efficiently and climbs well
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition - ride 9 allows you to adjust the geo more slack or more XC steep if you want, playful and poppy. Maybe mine wasn't setup properly, but not as plush as the Intense. More progressive shock. Manuals very easily.
    Ibis Ripley LS Werx - very capable bike and very versatile. Low bottom bracket makes the bike corner very well, the Carbon wheel upgrade makes the bike pretty easy to manual, but not as easy than Spider or Thunderbolt. Does ride like a 29er, but is especially fun bike. Climbs and descends flowing trails better than any bike I've ridden.

Other options 5010 or Yeti SB5c.

As an old BMX guy, Spider, Thunderbolt.
    As an new XC guy who likes to have fun on a bike Ibis Ripley LS.

Don't discount all 29ers without riding one. That said, the easiest to Manual for me Spider, Thunderbolt. Most fun on twisty, float trails, Ibis Ripley. Spider 27.5 Pro is the only bike I wish I could buy. Wife put the brakes on new bikes.

If you like to go fast over tech stuff, Yeti SB5c. Doesn't seem like your trails need more than 130 bike though.

Other Option I haven't spent enough time on:
    Ibis Mojo 3: not as fun as others I've ridden, but may have been set up wrong
    Cannondale Habit 1: first impression, as fun as the Spider. As fun as I've had on a bike, only 1 ride though. Top build may have had something to do with it.
    Bronson - not for mellow trails though. Awesome bike.
    Transition Scout: 1 ride , playful bike.
    Tallboy 3
    Yeti SB4.5
    Yeti SB6c
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Team
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You seem to be going the opposite direction than most people. You have a 29er, but you mention "more sedate trails and fireroad" which is where a 29er shines.

Just maybe you need a different 29er instead of basically the same bike with a different wheel size, something like the Canfield EPO or Yelli Screamy. 29er with short CS and aggressive Geo.

I already have a Carver 420TI or I'd be all over the sale on 2016 EPOs.
    SHOP Closeouts | Canfield Brothers Online Store

Or if you really want squish in the back, 2016 Banshee Phantom on sale as well
    I have a cheapo chinese carbon ht 29er but it's too fast. I'm riding with novices so it's too easy to just pull away from them. It's XC specs with longish chainstays and steeper HT angle. Doesn't make for a playful bike at all.

I could go with a HT 27.5 but I kinda want FS so I can also use it to tackle some burlier trails.

The Tantrum Meltdown looks interesting but unfortunately I just missed their demo a week or two ago. Perhaps more travel than I need but I'd like to see how playful it is.

mtbr member

New Scott Spark Plus has peaked my interest ^^

120/130 travel.

2.8 Maxxis Rekon's

Trail ready geo.

It looks dam sexy (or would that be Sekty!?)

Initial reviews are that it's super fun & capable.

Just need to find, that spare $10K... I've got lying around

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a cheapo chinese carbon ht 29er but it's too fast. I'm riding with novices so it's too easy to just pull away from them. It's XC specs with longish chainstays and steeper HT angle. Doesn't make for a playful bike at all.
    Look at the HT frames I mentioned- much different than a XC HT

I could go with a HT 27.5 but I kinda want FS so I can also use it to tackle some burlier trails.
    I really don't get what you're after. You seem to think wheel size is some magic bullet. There are 120mm 27.5 FS bikes that aren't playful and there are some 130mm 29ers that are more playful than a 27.5 130mm bike. It honestly just sounds like you have the wrong 29er FS to begin with and you really don't need another bike just a different primary one - but hey it's your money.

The Tantrum Meltdown looks interesting but unfortunately I just missed their demo a week or two ago. Perhaps more travel than I need but I'd like to see how playful it is.
    The nice thing with Tantrum is that you can get what you want with the wheel size you want. All same frame, just different size shock, drop outs and links.

You can get 125mm, 140mm or 160mm in the 27.5 or 125mm and 140mm in 29er and her is working on a 160mm 29er.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    New Scott Spark Plus has peaked my interest ^^

120/130 travel.

2.8 Maxxis Rekon's

Trail ready geo.

It looks dam sexy (or would that be Sekty!?)

Initial reviews are that it's super fun & capable.

Just need to find, that spare $10K... I've got lying around

2.8 tires when a guy is asking for playful
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    2.8 tires when a guy is asking for playful
    https://youtu.be/WDA-voVp40Q

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    https://youtu.be/WDA-voVp40Q

From the OP "Something that is easy to manual and easy to pop off features so I can catch some air."

Great video of them jumping jumps. Plus tires are not good for popping off the little trail features like roots and rocks you find in the trial.

The low pressure does the exact opposite.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Plus tires are not good for popping off the little trail features like roots and rocks you find in the trial.

The low pressure does the exact opposite.
    If that's true, then how does the extra weight of those bigger tires effect the way a bike lifts off features?
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    There are lots of good options listed above. I agree it is easier to manual some bikes over others, especially bikes with short chainstays. Weight has a lot to do with how playful a bike feels.
    Other Option I haven't spent enough time on:
    Cannondale Habit 1: first impression, as fun as the Spider. As fun as I've had on a bike, only 1 ride though. Top build may have had something to do with it.
    I had the same experience last year. Lucky me got to ride a few $7k bbikes and Cannondale Habit was the most fun. Also the Scott Spark 700, fast & nimble. Those two bikes hit me as super-fun so when I saw guys riding $2k versions on the trail I asked to swap bikes for a few min. Great choices.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    If that's true, then how does the extra weight of those bigger tires effect the way a bike lifts off features?
    It's not so much the heavier rubber as is the softer casing/lower psi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member

mtbr member

Funny but true! OP your current bike seems to check your boxes for the most part. Makes me wonder if it's sized and set up right for you. Could just require some tweaks that your LBS can help you with.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips