mtbr member
    Jul 2018

New question here. Looking for hardtail frame ideas for 650b, 120mm forks, non-boost, 30.9mm seatpost...

Hi. I have a 2016 Canyon Nerve which I am looking to replace soon. I am considering selling the Canyon, or selling the frame only, and buying a hardtail frame to build up with the remaining parts.

In order to build up a hardtail at minimal cost, I'd need a frame my bits will fit. So 650b non-boost wheels (QR only, no through axle), 120mm forks (taper) and 30.9mm seatpost (although I could shim to 31.6mm).

I've had a look around and it seems non-boost may be the difficult thing to come up with. The 2016 Nukeproof Scout would have been great, but nobody has them anymore. I've looked at Orange and Pace too and it seem all non-boost frames are gone.

If anyone has any ideas of what frames I could look for, that would help. I don't mind going second hand if needed, but just need to know what to look for. Many thanks.
    Last edited by MJW75; 1 Week Ago at 07:23 AM.

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    shimz on your old wheelset to mate them with a boost frame. Mrp, Velofuze, etc can get you sorted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Oh, should have said - rear wheel is standard old skool QR and cannot be modified to take a through axle (old style Mavic Crossride wheel with threaded axle). Post above edited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Salsa (alternator?) And surly (gnot boost?) May have what you're looking for between the timberjack and the karate monkey.

Not sure I'm reading what you said about seatposts, if your frame requires a 30.9, you will not be able to use 31.6.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Look at ritchey p650 frames. A 120 fork should work fine on one of those.

mtbr member
    Dartmoor Primal 26/650b from 2015 would work.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Cool - I'll check those out. Cheers.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW75 View Post
    Hi. I have a 2016 Canyon Nerve which I am looking to replace soon. I am considering selling the Canyon, or selling the frame only, and buying a hardtail frame to build up with the remaining parts.

In order to build up a hardtail at minimal cost, I'd need a frame my bits will fit. So 650b non-boost wheels (QR only, no through axle), 120mm forks (taper) and 30.9mm seatpost (although I could shim to 31.6mm).

I've had a look around and it seems non-boost may be the difficult thing to come up with. The 2016 Nukeproof Scout would have been great, but nobody has them anymore. I've looked at Orange and Pace too and it seem all non-boost frames are gone.

If anyone has any ideas of what frames I could look for, that would help. I don't mind going second hand if needed, but just need to know what to look for. Many thanks.

SAVADECK Carbon Bike Frame Full T800 Carbon Fiber MTB BSA Lightweight Mountain Bicycle Frame $339, 1.2 kg

I don't know if this fits your budget but it's a really good deal on a lightweight frame.
    2 year warranty, rear fits 135mm but they make an 11-speed version of a bike so I think that 142 would fit too.

Just asked the seller on Amazon: You make an 11-speed version, is it with this bike frame? So it would also fit a 142mm axle in back? Also does the frame come with a rear thru-axle?
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I would personally steer towards steel at your budget but if you want to go carbon check out the focus raven 27r. You can find them on ebay for about $400 with qr rear. The raven is a top notch carbon frame that was seen on the WC circuit. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ocus+raven+27r

jcd's best friend
    Octane One Prone through Chain Reaction Cycles. They make a frame just for 650b wheels and one for 29ers. I built up the 29er frame with a 130mm fork. Both frames are 12x142mm spacing.

Are you looking for an open dropout frame for QR? (just noticed the finer details in your post) If so, this one may not work for you.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    NS Bikes Surge Evo seems to tick all the boxes and looks badass as a bonus.

http://www.ns-bikes.com/surge-evo,115,pl.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW75 View Post

I did that earlier this year, but I went from non-boost Krampus and had the hubs rebuilt for thru axels on a new Karate Monkey since I had 29er wheels, which worked as KM is 29/27.5+. I guess if you want 27.5 without the fat, then a KM wouldnít be quite right. But itís close. I recommend having the hubs rebuilt. Itís not expensive and it allows you to get a bike with all the modern features. But I see the rear cannot be rebuilt. Hmm. Okay. Iím not a mechanic and have no idea why it wouldn't work. Kind of hard to find dropper routing and quick release. Check out the Marin Pine Mountain on Performance Bike. Itís quick release, I donít Really remember the rest of the details.

Maybe you could just get a gently used new to you bike, and sell this one.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks guys - I'll looking into these.