mtbr member

Kona Fire Mountain 650b - What Would You Do?

So as I posted in the compatible bikes thread, the 650b with Quasi clears a 1995 Kona Fire Mountain in back. I bought this frame many months ago and originally planned to keep it as it was (but I just didn't like riding it in "vintage" mode if you will). So I tore it down and then had plans to turn it into a 700c CX type of bike with Midge Bars (but then I decided that maybe the Midge Bars weren't the best application for this frame).

Then I received a Quasi Moto tire from Mickey at Spooky to use for testing of clearance. Mounted it up to the rear wheel of the Beasley Test Bike and installed it into the Fire Mountain. The result was "We have Clearance Clarence!" - so I took the Project 2 CX fork off the front - installed a Fox Float 100RLC up front, swapped stem and bars and put the front tire from the Beas on it.

Took a few pics this a.m. - let me know what you think. Would you convert it? Keep it as a 26er? or 700c it?

Here are a few pics for you to help you ponder a bit:
    650b Profile

Chainstay clearance shots:

Seatstay clearance shot:

One More full bike shot:

The photo quality kinda sucks - sorry about that - cloudy day here in CT - but warm and more snow is melting (let's just hope we don't get any more to replace what's melting!).

Oh and here's what it was shaping up to look like as a 700c CX style bike (note the Midge Bars are too low in the photo and I need a short stem with a lot of rise to make it work, and a ton of spacers, if I were to use Midge Bars).

A few other things:

1. If I were to use the Fox fork, I'd have to change headsets because with the Am Classic headset installed, the compression dial on the fork hits the downtube (remember this bike was designed with a rigid fork up front).

2. The 100mm of travel might be too much anyway (especially with a taller stack height to the bottom headset cup.

So whattya think folks? WWYD and why would you do it?

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That is a cool old bike. I like the 650b knubby tired version with the "Mary" type bar.

Note: Not all Kona Fire mountains can be converted to 650B. My wife's tiny early 90s Fire Mountain can barely clear 26" Continental Race Kings (I had to cut off the molding nibs):

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    MMcG,

I'm sorry to say, but the 700c version doesn't look quite right.

I'd build it up as a rigid 26" or as a rigid 650b bike myself.

I like those old steel Konas...I'd like to find one in that good of condition.

Witty McWitterson
    B it. rockhound is right - it just doesn't look right w/700's on it. You can get yourself some more rear clearance by finding a really big steel tube and a hammer. It's worked for me in the past....
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mark, I don't know if it's the perspective in the shot, but the bb height with the 650b looks to be around 13.5" or so. I guess you have to try it to see if it works. I fit neo-motos into a steel Ibis Mojo and the bb was over 13" and IMO didn't ride as well as 26".

mtbr member
    Hard to tell from the craptastic photos I posted, but there is ample clearance for the Quasi-Moto.

And yeah - it does look goofy with 700c eh?

Anyone need a nice Cross or Monstercross wheelset? XTR Hubs laced to Velocity Aeroheads? or are they Aeroheats - I always get that confused.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    Mark, I don't know if it's the perspective in the shot, but the bb height with the 650b looks to be around 13.5" or so. I guess you have to try it to see if it works. I fit neo-motos into a steel Ibis Mojo and the bb was over 13" and IMO didn't ride as well as 26".
    I don't mind a high bb. With that said - the 100mm Float is too much fork fork for this old frame. I need to go rigid or 80mm at the most with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice job! I was thinking of doing the same to my old KFM. What did you do about the brakes? I see you have discs in the photo. Did you add something to the frame? Thx!

mtbr member
    I had some FRM Racing brakes that I used briefly.

mtbr member
    Harder than hell to find them now though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm thinking of picking up some motolites.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post

So whattya think folks? WWYD and why would you do it?

Cheers,

Mark
    Rigid 650b with Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 EXO and drop bars with bar-end shifters.

DO IT!

Members who have read this thread: 0