Sock Monkey

KHS 650 full suspension

I took one of these for a demo ride recently.

I didn't overall like it as much as my Ventana, but I was impressed. It actually climbed better! No bob, left the shock open the entire ride, did some climbing with ease. It is a very stable frame. It doesn't feel as "lively" or "balanced" as the Ventana - though it is hard to describe what those terms mean as they are attempts to describe the subjective feel - but it is a perfectly good bike. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the xfusion shock and fork. they both work well. It doesn't have the lightest build kit, but at 2700 or so, nothing else does either. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a competent full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Only KHS FS offering I've tried is XCT555. Briefly owned it [ wish I'd kept it for 650B]. Felt a bit wooden compared to my Marin Mount Vision. But that's an unfair comparison, as the MV is one of the most animated trail rides out there.
    Loved the geometry of the XCT though. Still kicking myself I sold it before trying 650B.

NedwannaB

Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I've tried is XCT555. Briefly owned it [ wish I'd kept it for 650B].
    Loved the geometry of the XCT though. Still kicking myself I sold it before trying 650B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS 650 full suspension-khs-bennet-pk-rockbowl.jpg  

KHS 650 full suspension-downeville_rig.jpg  

Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I took one of these for a demo ride recently.

I didn't overall like it as much as my Ventana, but I was impressed. It actually climbed better! No bob, left the shock open the entire ride, did some climbing with ease. It is a very stable frame. It doesn't feel as "lively" or "balanced" as the Ventana - though it is hard to describe what those terms mean as they are attempts to describe the subjective feel - but it is a perfectly good bike. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the xfusion shock and fork. they both work well. It doesn't have the lightest build kit, but at 2700 or so, nothing else does either. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a competent full suspension bike.
    Thanks for the quick review.

I like this bike; 650B in a proven FS design. I hope more reviews start coming in.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    FSR bikes usually feel pretty dead. I have the 555xct and would like to know how the bike feels as a 650b. I feel that the BB is already tall, do the bigger wheels make this more noticeable? If I didn't have a sektor on it, I would try the bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    After owninig a khs flagstaff and calling khs to ask how much sag to run their response was....."call the shock manufacture" I said..."it's your bike with your suspension" Then he suggested i run 10% to see how that felt. This was the tech guy....

Then, i saw that the 2012 prescott and flagstaff were now 100mm rear so i asked what had changed from the previous year because the frame looked exactly then same.....uh...uh.....yup,nothing had changed.

it also bugged me when the new fully 650 came out it was labeled as 140nmm then 120mm.

NedwannaB

Pretty lively

Quote Originally Posted by droptop View Post
    FSR bikes usually feel pretty dead. I have the 555xct and would like to know how the bike feels as a 650b. I feel that the BB is already tall, do the bigger wheels make this more noticeable? If I didn't have a sektor on it, I would try the bigger wheels.
    My only neg is that I got a small instead of a med frame. The short wheelbase, coupled with the higher bb with the 650's, tho agile in the slow techy stuff became a little too twitchy @ speed. Had I been using a longer travel fork(had a 130) some of that handling would have been lessened by the slacker ht angle. Set up with the 26" wheels it was a great all rounder!

I have the frame and fork for sale if anyone interested in building up a dual wheeled 140mm travel fs rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Im running a 150mm sektor, seems to be a great all around bike. If i push myself, i can keep up with my XC buddies (regular podiums in cat3, mid pack in cat2). when it gets gnarly, i keep going, they slow down. A very underrated bike overall. For XC, i run 20% sag, for bigger stuff i run closer to 30% (but I don't do any drops). Im on a L, and it feels better the faster you hit rough stuff.

NedwannaB

Yeah 140-150!

Quote Originally Posted by droptop View Post
    Im running a 150mm sektor, seems to be a great all around bike. If i push myself, i can keep up with my XC buddies (regular podiums in cat3, mid pack in cat2). when it gets gnarly, i keep going, they slow down. A very underrated bike overall. For XC, i run 20% sag, for bigger stuff i run closer to 30% (but I don't do any drops). Im on a L, and it feels better the faster you hit rough stuff.
    I did pretty good keeping up/ahead of the reg's in my ride pack too! I would probably still be riding it if I had a dif fork than before. Was a pretty lite build (then again so am I ) which helps on the ups. Actually looked into stepping up to a Velvet frame to have a little more travel varience to my SS and HT bikes. But wasn't sure, and couldn't confirm, they would fit a 650 rr wheel.

Anyway, moved on from the XCT and got a "specific" frame with a Ventana El Bastardo earlier this year. The Float 130 travel setting works ok on that but recently picked up a used/new condition 140 Vanilla RLC 15mm t/a fork. Waiting for a new fr wheel from Universal Cycle should be here after the 1st. This should make it a little more capable Trail Bike given only a straight 1.125" steertube.

If you get a chance to switch to a Fox or 650 specific fork you'll really like it even if you only run a 650 wheel up front!

Happy trails,

JMac
    Last edited by JMac47; 12-27-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo