Karate Monkey alternative?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Karate Monkey alternative?

Hi there.
    After my very, very old Orange Gringo finally died I am in the market for an adaptable hardtail. I really like the Surly Karate Monkey. It will be used for general thrashing about and maybe two week bikepacking/tours/trips but I really wanted something that isn't quite as heavy. I own a 2017 Troll and its a brilliant touring machine but as with all Surlys, its a tank. The KM fits all the requirements I need to be honest, loads of mounts, capable of running a 27.5 plus tyre, rigid or sus forks too, its just the WEIGHT......

Does anyone have any suggestions? Im based in England too if that helps.

Cheers.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Buy the KM frame and build it how you want. Surly frame weights are pretty reasonable for the money. Can you get a nicer steel frame that weighs .5 lbs less? Yes, but not for equal money.

If you want to save a significant amount of weight you'll need to look at a carbon frame and nicer build kit.

You haven't given a budget or very many parameters, kind of asking us to name every B+ hardtail available.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I have around 600-800 to spend on the frame then another 1200 on components including a suspension fork. I always buy frame/forks only then build it up from there. If the KM really is the best for the price then thats the way I will go.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Esker hayduke?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Weight of KM frame vs another? Less than 1 pound? Go with a carbon fork? Going to carry 20-30 lbs on the tour? I would think the best choice would be a solid, sturdy bike. I own 4 Surlys, I might be biased.

Keep on Rockin...
    For steel and price per pound and versatility the KM is hard to beat. I've given this a lot of thought myself. Would be nice if lighter but going lighter means a very different frame.

To get much lighter you'd have to go carbon or aluminum. If I needed a lightweight HT I'd build up one of those cheap chi-carbon frame.

Still though, the biggest plus of the KM are the dropouts - SS or geared. And 135, 142, or 148. I've still got a few old King wheel sets that refuse to die. And a 135 King SS hub/wheel. Perfect match for the Monkey.

mtbr member
    Weight isn't something I really look at for how much I'm willing to spend, I look for reliable and features and the KM is definitely reliable and has loads of features. When I was looking to replace my '08 Monkey last year, I had wanted one of the new Ryhmes with orange Monkey's, but finding one was a PITA and so I opted for the Kona Unit framset and transferred most all the parts from my Monkey and have really been happy with it. Between the 2 framsets, don't think there's another you can pick up for $550-600. My only complaint about the Unit is the QR drop outs on the fork, but prefer the rear drop outs over the Surly setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Soma Valhallen?

jrm
    mtbr member
    sounds like your in the UK. Have you checked out any of the evans pinnacle offerings? i had a arkose frame shipped to the US and really like...