mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Jamis SixFifty B1

Howdy, Rob here from Jamis, I just got a pic of the SixFifty B1 Enjoy!

Best, Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ovaries on the Outside
    Looks great.

mtbr member
    Wow. Its awesome that you guys can spec them with White Brothers Magic's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rob, Is the tire spec a 2.1 rear and 2.35 Nevegal front? Can you comment on how that combination rides?

nothing relevant to say
    The Haro Sonix 650B and the B1 and B2 from Jamis in 2010. 3 FS rigs, so far. very sweet....

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Wow. Its awesome that you guys can spec them with White Brothers Magic's.
    And compromise on the rest of the spec (cranks, brakes, etc)...

I'm not liking that colour...
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    And compromise on the rest of the spec (cranks, brakes, etc)...

A little harsh, but yeah--I was sort of hoping they'd spec the lower priced one with the X-fusion 650b fork and upgrade the rest of it a bit more...

...by the way, can anyone tell what the rear shock on these 650b Jamis' are? They look like they have the Rockshox logo to me. I've used Fox rear shocks for quite a while, but with the turnaround in Rockshox quality since SRAM took over, I'd take a chance on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    The Haro Sonix 650B and the B1 and B2 from Jamis in 2010. 3 FS rigs, so far. very sweet....

650b Palace should do a 650b FS shootout!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both the B1 and B2 are nice looking bikes. I hope to hear how they ride soon.
    Yeah Mark, maybe we can look forward to a comparison sometime of 650B FS bikes plus 650b converted FS.

Witty McWitterson
    The fork is a Fluid, not a magic.Still espensivo though. Tires are indeed 2.1/2.3. Everything else looks nice on them.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A couple of things I'd like to say. 1st, I'm happy to see more 650b stuff coming out, even if it is somewhat junkie. The color does look like the stuff that comes out of my nose and the rear stays appear to be weak. I think stays with an asymetrical design would be stiffer and give better control. Speaking of control, I think that is why the tires are two different sizes. I always run a smaller tire in the rear which definately gives better cornering control. I agree that an X-Fusion fork probably would be a better fork for this machine too. But regardless of what I think about the bike overall I'm glad to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    A little harsh, but yeah--I was sort of hoping they'd spec the lower priced one with the X-fusion 650b fork and upgrade the rest of it a bit more...

I agree... they should've just spec'd the Velvet and at least upgraded the brakes.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Deore Cranks work fine. I'd rather have the good fork and shock.

mtbr member
    msrp? frame only available for either b1 or 2?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Upscale spec?? I just saw the glossy Catalog and it featured a B! with Am Classic 20mm thru asxlw wheels, white bro Magic fork, Sram XO and Truvativ Noir cranks, Crank Bro Joplin adj. seatpost loit's o' cool MTBR/ forum type stuff...and a better color, too-I dunno, that doesn't seem poorly spec'd to me. Didn't see a price, though.

mtbr member
    I had an opportunity to ride the B2, here is a quick write up I did.

Last week I had an opportunity to ride the new Jamis 650b bike. If you are not aware of 650b, it is slightly bigger than 26, but not as large as 29. I have riden a few 29ers and will tell you that I have no interest in them. This is for my riding style, I find them sluggish in and out of turns and the angles are just funky to me. Add in trying to make a 29er a full suspension bike and that will throw it off even more. I know a lot of you guys out there love them, again this is for what I look for. I had never riden a 650b, but the sizing seemed to make a lot more sense to me that a 29er.

My first impression was that the bike did sit a little higher than my 26inch Chumba XCL, but once on it and pedaling around on the road it actually felt very similar to my XCL (I love my bike). The ride to the SMBA trails is road and then a dirt road, this was effortless, the bike just cruised but I guess that is to be expected, I would probably like the 29er for that part as well.

First trail we hit was to ride up the hill from the clearing and onto Pulaski, this a very rocky technical trail with some very tight turns, a few short steep climbs and quick chute to the finish. I was concerned with the turns, I was setting up for them too early in anticipation of the bike turning slow, it did not. I am not sure of the head angle, my XCL is 69, this bike is probably about a 68. It turned just like my XCL, quick and responsive. From there it was onto The Bee trail, Ridgeline, Highnoon and then Damn trail. The bike did everything I asked it to, climbed up everything and rolled like a dream through the rough stuff. It was pretty hot that day so I think the bike took some of the pressure off and made the ride a little easier throughout the ride.

Of course this bike was stacked with high end components:
    White Brothers Fork (sucked, very sticky and harsh)
    XO shifters and der. (it's XO, need I say more)
    Avid Elixer CR brakes (plenty of power and modulation)
    Crank Brothers seat post (adjustable)
    Kenda Nevegal tires (my personal favorites for SMBA)

I was told the fork takes 20 hours of riding to break in, I do not understand that as my Fox Float was amazing from day one. 650b is new so there are not a lot of choices out there.

Overall this bike was great, I have owned a Giant VT, 2007 Jamis XAM, and now a the Chumba Racing XCL for full suspension trail bikes. I have ridden a Giant Trance, Transition Covert, Scott Ransom. This bike is probably one of the top 2 or 3. It would take a lot to top my Chumba XCL, but it was real close.

If I were in the market for a 29er full suspension, I would definitely consider this bike. It is not a XC race bike, not a all mountain, more of a trail bike but with bigger wheels that do not throw off the geometry.
    Last edited by batts65; 08-17-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    Deore Cranks work fine. I'd rather have the good fork and shock.
    Deore's OK (I have it on my bike), but a non-series, Octalink crank... I don't know (I could be wrong, but that's how I see that crank).

Quote Originally Posted by batts65

http://elevatecycles.com/phpBB2/view...?p=35343#35343
    Would you mind just copy-pasting your mini-review on to here? I don't want to have to create an account in another forum just to read that...

Thanks.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

On a 08 XAM now for North East rocky XC racing

I have plans to switch to the Jamis 650B for my next race bike. Lots of rocks with fast single track, that bike sounds perfect. I love my Xam not with its big hit XC feeling suspension. I could only imagine what the 650 will be like. Glad to hear you liked it.
    Thanks for the review.

Last week I had an opportunity to ride the new Jamis 650b bike. If you are not aware of 650b, it is slightly bigger than 26, but not as large as 29. I have riden a few 29ers and will tell you that I have no interest in them. This is for my riding style, I find them sluggish in and out of turns and the angles are just funky to me. Add in trying to make a 29er a full suspension bike and that will throw it off even more. I know a lot of you guys out there love them, again this is for what I look for. I had never riden a 650b, but the sizing seemed to make a lot more sense to me that a 29er.

My first impression was that the bike did sit a little higher than my 26inch Chumba XCL, but once on it and pedaling around on the road it actually felt very similar to my XCL (I love my bike). The ride to the SMBA trails is road and then a dirt road, this was effortless, the bike just cruised but I guess that is to be expected, I would probably like the 29er for that part as well.

First trail we hit was to ride up the hill from the clearing and onto Pulaski, this a very rocky technical trail with some very tight turns, a few short steep climbs and quick chute to the finish. I was concerned with the turns, I was setting up for them too early in anticipation of the bike turning slow, it did not. I am not sure of the head angle, my XCL is 69, this bike is probably about a 68. It turned just like my XCL, quick and responsive. From there it was onto The Bee trail, Ridgeline, Highnoon and then Damn trail. The bike did everything I asked it to, climbed up everything and rolled like a dream through the rough stuff. It was pretty hot that day so I think the bike took some of the pressure off and made the ride a little easier throughout the ride.

I was told the fork takes 20 hours of riding to break in, I do not understand that as my Fox Float was amazing from day one. 650b is new so there are not a lot of choices out there.

Overall this bike was great, I have owned a Giant VT, 2007 Jamis XAM, and now a the Chumba Racing XCL for full suspension trail bikes. I have ridden a Giant Trance, Transition Covert, Scott Ransom. This bike is probably one of the top 2 or 3. It would take a lot to top my Chumba XCL, but it was real close.

If I were in the market for a 29er full suspension, I would definitely consider this bike. It is not a XC race bike, not a all mountain, more of a trail bike but with bigger wheels that do not throw off the geometry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

batts65, Rob here from Jamis, nice review of the B2, regarding the White Brother's Fluid fork. The bushing tolerances are very tight on all of White Brother's forks and they do take quite some time to break in. This may seem frustrating at first however, over the course of time it pay's off with less bushing service.
    I have some time on a B2 and the fork tolerances out of the box are a little tight offering a slight feel of stiction, however, while in motion this feeling is reduced and I have felt a difference within a couple hours of time. The fork becomes more "fluid" in the compression and rebound stroke.
    Best, Rob

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Rob,

Any chance you can throw one in the truck and bring it down next time you are headed for DC?

(A 17 would do nicely, thanks)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pmoravek
    Hey Rob,

Any chance you can throw one in the truck and bring it down next time you are headed for DC?

(A 17 would do nicely, thanks)
    Pete, I'm working on it!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Take your time Rob...
    Your little one probably missed you pretty bad while you were out in Vegas.
    Maybe when you come down we can hit the local trails down here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How did the white bros fork do when you got up and peddled.
    i have been looking at the new haro 650b and I work at a Haro shop. I do 24hr mtb racing & I have a giant nrs 26er with Sram that I love. I have & the HOLE MTB INDUSTRY! know that they can put lock out on thim there forks.

I was going to sell my nrs but if I get a Haro 650b,but I have to change over to Sram shifting & I would put on Avid bb7s. As for the front fork I would use a R/S Reba 29er with 100mm travle with the 650b front wheel. I must say that the Jamis b2 is looking good. I work at a bike shop so I'm looking for a bro deal.. I going to have my boss call Jamis..
    I will most likely keep my Giant NRS & put a R/S Reba 29er fork with a 650b front wheel for the 2010 racing season.

Another thing what's the weight of the 650b bikes. I called haro and they don't know! but she did say that she will find out by next week.
    Peace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just got back from a good solid ride with the 650b 2. I swapped out the pre-production White Bros fork for a freshy that White sent....and.......nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile! I'm happy to report that improved bushing tolerances on the production fork are spot on. I rode it set up out of the box from the factory, with only a slight adjustment to the rebound, a hair slower. The new version is awesome. They still claim a 10 hour break in period but this version is money compared to the pre-production run. I think White Bros. has done a great job making the adjustment. Also, the 650b 1 will be available in a sick looking Candy Apple red. I will post a photo when I get a good version.... until then get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that Whit Bros is stepping up to the challenge of OEM production!

Anyone know when the Jamis 650b frameset will be available and how much it'll cost? I've emailed Jamis and called my local dealer but neither has gotten back to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Steve F:

I work for Jamis. The 650 B2 framset MSRP w/ fork is $2500.

I will get back with availability soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alive2ride
    Steve F:

I work for Jamis. The 650 B2 framset MSRP w/ fork is $2500.

I will get back with availability soon!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    SteveF,

RE: I work for Jamis. The 650 B2 framset MSRP w/ fork is $2500.

What is the top tube length on the largest size? And what is the largest size
    frame 19?

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009
    The largest size is a 21" with a 24.1" effective top tube.
    The TT on the 19" is 23.7"

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009
    SteveF,

BTW..... Complete Bikes are available now, Frame Sets will be in stock in a few weeks!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    what is the rear claimed travel on the rear? Nothing on jamis site

mtbr member

I asked the same....

Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY
    what is the rear claimed travel on the rear? Nothing on jamis site

And was told 5" by CS Jamis.

Also, pls note that that ISCG tabs and downtube cable holders are standard on both B's, but are not noted on their specs. Only caught it on the B1 picture, but its not on the B2 picture.

SB.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 04-16-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Jamis Sixfifty B2 Review

I got a chance to demo one HERE ARE MY THOUGHTS

I also have riding footage too but all the freewares I try using to convert my 30fps HD 16:9 .MOV video to avi (so that I can edit on a PC) just crashes or after conversion the picture and sound do not match up ANY IDEAS?

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    And was told 5" by CS Jamis.

Also, pls note that that ISCG tabs and downtube cable holders are standard on both B's, but are not noted on their specs. Only caught it on the B1 picture, but its not on the B2 picture.

SB.
    I did notice the downtube tabs but not the ISCG

mtbr member

My Notes on the 650b2

I had the B2 a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, there was 12" on snow everywhere, so I go limited riding on it, mostly on curbs and my own home ramps, skinnies, driveway rock gardens, (yeah, logs and rocks piled next to each other, and jumps that I've built for messin' around. Keeping that in mind, here are my notes and impressions.

130mm travel bike per Jamis.
    Tires: 2.3 nevegals front and 2.1s in rear. Slow rolling, and seems like a 2.3 would possibly come w/in 1-2 mm the seat tube if put in the back. So that's why, imo, there's a 2.1 in the back. Here's some info from Jamis....that the clearance between the tread blocks of the rear tire (2.1) and the seat tube when the travel is fully compressed is 6mm. When measuring the height of the stock 2.1 Nevagal tire it comes out to around 49mm. We would suggest contacting Kenda and Pacenti to determine the exact height of the 2.1 Nevagal and the 2.3 Neomoto to ensure that the larger Neomoto tire is not any more than 4mm taller than the stock Nevagal. The Neomoto is known to be a tire that is not very tall which does help with clearance issues'' Check out Shiggys site for 650b tires, especially the 'axle to high point on tire' measurement to see..... Strange, for a new bike??
    Hubs:AmCl rear 225 had SLOW engagement in the rear compared to my Hadleys.
    Fork: White Bros Fluid 130. Hard to set up, basic TA. The TA is horrible!!! Had to use a wood dowel and hammer to get it out. I then cleaned it, and lubed the TA and stanchions. Can you imagine that on the trail? Set up is vitally important, much better after I tuned it as best I could, but still didn't get full travel. PLENTY of space for a 2.35 tire, both under and sides of the fork. Seemed stiff but not plush.
    Elixer Brakes. Fantastic. Has that mating system on these for the brakes. Nice. Lots of red. 180 up front 160 rear. Great stopping ability.
    Rims: AmCl 650 BXC 24mm od . 1 red spoke among the black ones, silver nips
    Grips- WHITE GRIPs on a mountain bike!! But one single lock on, design was great imo and protects the bar end excellently. 60g each. Would love to buy these in black, but can't find anywhere.
    Joplin R 3"- great idea, but already had 3/8"" wobble at the seat post nose which comes from within the post. 'Normal' says Crank Bros'. 387mm long. Would need 400mm for a static post. Lots of red again. Worked well and I liked the idea a lot regardless of the weight. I could drop it all the way, or some point in between.
    Handlebar-Ritchey Pro. Red again. Too wide for me. S/B carbon at this MSRP.
    Stem- Ritchey 4 axis with RED accents. Seems to be too light for a mtn stem. More of a road stem imo.
    Saddle- Syncros . WIDE nose, 250g, no edge guards
    Steerer- 8.25" long w/ nice Ti looking spacers and cap. 1.25" of spacers and a 6 degree stem.
    Frame- no water bottle holding ability! Nice head badge. mat black frame, but easily scratched, nice welds, shock brace ???? why??? is frame weak??? And brace was like 2 elongated triangles just laid on top of each other.....uncoordinated design. Surprisingly has down tube cable holders and tabs for ISCG05 which is not mentioned in specs. Seems as stiff at the shock area. Has 3 cable guides under the top tube, need zip ties when Joplin is used.......but its standard, so shouldn't there be 4?? 31.6 seat tube. CS's are square, SS's are round. When pedaling in the granny up a hill, with poor technique, the bike rear shock moved a little, but I was quite happy with the suspension in that 'test' since it was extreme.
    Seat clamp. nice, ti looking single bolt. 31 g
    XO Shifters and Rear Derailluer- just freakin' superb. But has those red pimp highlights again!!!
    Crankset- Truvativ Noir with red 'Noir' and red granny. I don't understand carbon cranks.
    F. Derailluer- Sram x9
    RS Monarch 3.1 shock- Bad choice imo. Already had broken rebound. But has sag markings which is great. 200 X 51mm
    Weight 19" 29.5lbs w/o pedals per my electronic scale.

Easy to lift front wheel. Responsive to turn, and felt like a 26er. It rode very responsively in my rock garden tests, curbs, and jumps. You could feel a difference with the 650b. I would ride the course with the Jamis and then ride it with my 26er. Over and over. You definitely felt easier about straight through tracking with that little be less of angle of attack. I felt it was as responsive as my Turner, which has a 67.7* HA and 13.875 BB. I wish I had the chance to ride on real trails. My impression is that the MSRP price of the B2 is higher than it should be. You could see where the over welds are on the rear triangle drop out, where some breakage has occured with this type model in the past. And there's too much red!! The fork needs to be a TA, but the White Brothers is horrible and the X Fusion needs to be spec'd along with a RP23 or X Fusion shock. The rear hub engagement is too slow. What's up with the frame reinforcer? Wish there was a way to lube the joints. Hey, and we ride with camelbaks AND waterbottles in the summer! I cleaned and lubed this bike and returned it better and cleaner than when I recieved it.
    That's my POV. I wish I had a real ride on it., but it seemed to ride very nicely.
    Hope you find this useful.
    Spongebob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review, Bob! I was really concerned about going with the White Bros forks but they've been great. The Magic on my Curtlo was a bit notchy at first but it broke in quickly and now it's feels fantastic. (got around 150 miles on it) and the Fluid on my Ventana which was a demo fork and therefor may have a few rides on it, feels really smooth already. Or I dunno, maybe Ventana rebuilt them for Interbike or something?

I would be giving the Jamis a serious look if I hadn't found a good sale price on the Bastardo...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I rode a B1 last Saturday at the Fitness Resource Demo Day.
    Pretty Shweet ride!

It does indeed fill the void between a 29er and a regular 26 inch wheel bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Updated video of my demo ride

Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY
    I also have riding footage too but all the freewares I try using to convert my 30fps HD 16:9 .MOV video to avi (so that I can edit on a PC) just crashes or after conversion the picture and sound do not match up ANY IDEAS?
    New video. After numerous methods I got it straightened out.

mtbr member
    Rode the B1 as well at the same demo - really enjoyed it. Handling felt closer to 26" than 29er but still got the smooth rolling over obstacles and good momentum.

Nothing bad to say about the WB fork. Rob, the demo rep, said WB had inserted more quality checks and tighter tolerances in their production process. Wasn't sticky and Rob told me he had just built it up and taken it for a 30min ride before I got on.

I'm sold on the 650b idea....

amb
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I bumped into this tread and found it quite useful!

I'm looking to buy a new 2010 Jamis sixfifty B1 bike but I still have some concerns.. I hope there's someone here that can help me figure out if this is what I'm looking for....

I currently own a trek 8500 (which I'll be using for racing), but I need a FS bike that I can use as a training/all mountain bike, maybe some DH runs (nothing too crazy), but I want it to be able to handle some small drops & jumps... My only concern with the Jamis B1 is that I don't see any lockout on either the front fork or the rear shock!! I normally go uphill before goind downhill and I'm worried the bike will have a lot of bob.. Is the bike any good uphill? What about the B1's component quality, are they any good? Is the frame the same as the B2, meaning, if I gradually upgrade it I can evetually take it to B2 level??

I would really apreciate anyone's response! I'm planning to purchase this weekend so I'm a bit tight on time..

Thanks!!

Antonio

The White Jeff W
    I recently did a b1 frame-up build.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new...b1-755315.html

Its a capable trail bike but I wouldn't go so far as to call it all mountain and I wouldn't try using it as a 'light' downhill bike. I ride it hard and dont worry about it falling apart but honestly it's not built for heavy abuse.

There is no lockout on the fork or shock.

There's some good deals on the B2 on ebay. High end component spec + lockout front & rear. jamis b2 | eBay

The component spec on the B1 is middle of the road quality. The B1 and B2 frames are the same, only the shock is different.
    No moss...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal@Jamis View Post
    The largest size is a 21" with a 24.1" effective top tube.
    The TT on the 19" is 23.7"
    As far as down tubes, I have a 17": no water bottle bosses. Only on the 21"?

BTW, I LOVE my 2010 B2. How much superior is MP4 on 2011. and 2012?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Members who have read this thread: 0