mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Jamis Dragon wheel size shoot-out 26 vs. 27.5 vs. 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That is a great unbiased article. I just wish that all three bikes were equally spec'd. But I guess that is about as close as you can get using bikes right off the showroom floor.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

just some guy
    27.5 wins again, sweet!

www.derbyrims.com
    Seems consistent with other pro reviews. More in depth than previous too.

But you've got to ask if the Jamis PR shootout win was a bit hyped. They don't have much competition yet for competitively affordable 650b bike sales. The leader in early sales in the emerging market of 650b will go a long way to establishing exponential long term sales as 650b wheeled bikes become the mainstream choice of new bike buyers.

dwt
    mtbr member
    You can argue the hype, crunch all the numbers and show up with years of bias, but when you ride the bikes back to back, things become very clear, very quickly.
    AMEN.

First off, despite the naysaying, wheel size makes a HUGE difference in performance. It is one of many factors - geometry, travel, weight, etc. - but it is key.

Years back, some 26'er folk (and I have to plead guilty to being one of them) questioned or attacked 29'ers based on soley on bias and numbers - without having actually ridden the bike! How stupid can you get? All you have to do is friggin ride one, and the revelation of how the wheel size works and performs will knock your socks off after one ride. At least in my case.

Fast forward to the present. 29'ers are mainstream if not the bike of choice. But now there are 29'er fanboys who dump on 650b based on bias and numbers alone, again without having actually ridden the bike! Do we ever learn? No need to name names, but everyone knows the type: Math heads and engineers with heads bigger around than their wheel diameter.

The folks in this forum by and large have ridden - and many still own and ride - all 3 wheel sizes, knowing first hand the advantages and disadvantages of all in various terrain.

Bottom line: there is no substitute for experience.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very interesting review. My american is not perfect but I realized the 27.5 is doing very well

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pretty amazing article and from my perspective right on the money. I'm no 29'r expert or fanboy but after spending 3 days on a Specialized FSR 29'r test bike (which was great and eye opening) I agree with everything they say about it's pros and cons and it's also why I still like the 650B wheel size (and my Prophet is full 650B) for my purposes. MBA takes lots of heat about the stuff they write but this is 2 for 2 in the last 6 months for 650B bikes.

Between this new article and their glowing review of the 2011 Dakar B2 (which I'm a bit surprised they didn't mention and pretty much stated the same benefits of the 650B) I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase of my new toy. Leftover 11 Dakar B2
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    But you've got to ask if the Jamis PR shootout win was a bit hyped. They don't have much competition yet for competitively affordable 650b bike sales. The leader in early sales in the emerging market of 650b will go a long way to establishing exponential long term sales as 650b wheeled bikes become the mainstream choice of new bike buyers.
    They don't have much competition in selling a wheel size that even the article suggests is sketchy as far as marketing potential.

Jamis is a small brand and has gone out on a limb with precious few others to make a niche product available to the public. So of course they will milk this publicity as far as they can take it. And I say go for it if it helps the company and if it helps promote the wheel size.

As far as the wheel size, maybe this is a great time for the rumored "big player" company to come out with its version of 650b with the new Fox forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    All you have to do is friggin ride one, and the revelation of how the wheel size works and performs will knock your socks off after one ride. At least in my case.
    dwt, we agree with you on this point, that's why we'll be at the Southeast Expo 2/25 & 2/26 in Conyers, GA with all the wheel sizes represented for everyone to demo. We'll be sure to have present the Dakar 650 Pro, Dragon 650B and Nemesis. Thanks for the support!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by @Jamisbikes View Post
    dwt, we agree with you on this point, that's why we'll be at the Southeast Expo 2/25 & 2/26 in Conyers, GA with all the wheel sizes represented for everyone to demo. We'll be sure to have present the Dakar 650 Pro, Dragon 650B and Nemesis. Thanks for the support!
    Love my 2010 B2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I got the issue today and was very surprised to see the outcome in PRINT....a total turn around from their earlier statements in previous articles.

SCHWEET!!

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    I got the issue today and was very surprised to see the outcome in PRINT....a total turn around from their earlier statements in previous articles.

SCHWEET!!
    Looking back though, the MBA review of the Jamis B2 was stellar and their earlier 3-way shootout also picked the 27.5er, although not nearly as emphatically. They did issue a warning about retrofitting 26 inch frames that seemed to upset some 650b fans, I vaguely recall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Noticed the specs and geo of the 650b don't exactly match what Jamis has in the catalog.

monster member
    Cool article, thanks. I've noticed a lot of love for the 650B wheels. What I get out of the article is that it's even more love for a specifically-made frame that drops the BB a 1/2" or 1" below the axles. Jamis is looking good right now!
    Have fun!

nothing relevant to say
    Anyone else notice the Roll-Out distance???

Members who have read this thread: 0