Jamis Dakar XCT 650 race or Jamis Dakar 650 AMT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Jamis Dakar XCT 650 race or Jamis Dakar 650 AMT

Hey guys as you know its tax season and its time to roll in a new rig. I am split between the trail over the AMT. My pros of the XCT are its lighter and it has the carbon frame in which I have never ridden much. Cons it has Sram components with avid brakes... Avid makes quality parts I have just never been a fan of the barrel adjusters on the bars. Also the XCT is $800 more. The AMT pros is it has the Shimano components in which I am more familiar with. Its cheaper much cheaper. Cons its heavier by 2.25 pounds. Is that going to be noticeable? Now on a separate note I ride a wide open all mountain style that inquires both CC and DH which bike can handle both the best? Do I need 150mil of Suspension travel on the AMT? Last but not least I know many people will recommend other brands because its what you ride I am not worried about that. I get Jamis bikes at cost therefore I will ride a Jamis. Please help me!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

AMT or XCT

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson112 View Post
    Hey guys as you know its tax season and its time to roll in a new rig. I am split between the trail over the AMT. My pros of the XCT are its lighter and it has the carbon frame in which I have never ridden much. Cons it has Sram components with avid brakes... Avid makes quality parts I have just never been a fan of the barrel adjusters on the bars. Also the XCT is $800 more. The AMT pros is it has the Shimano components in which I am more familiar with. Its cheaper much cheaper. Cons its heavier by 2.25 pounds. Is that going to be noticeable? Now on a separate note I ride a wide open all mountain style that inquires both CC and DH which bike can handle both the best? Do I need 150mil of Suspension travel on the AMT? Last but not least I know many people will recommend other brands because its what you ride I am not worried about that. I get Jamis bikes at cost therefore I will ride a Jamis. Please help me!!
    Your riding description sure fits the AMT. I ride the XCT and less weight matters to me but your more aggressive style warrants the burlier frame. You can always diet lose 3 lbs and buy the AMT. What did you end up with? Your post is from a while ago.