mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Industry direction of 650b

I am a XXC type of guy, so my riding style does not require these 5.5 inch 650b all-mountain bikes.

Currently I have my spark 30 set up with a lefty and 650b front and kept the back at a 26 because I can run a 2.2 tire with ample clearance as opposed to a 2.0 tire with 5mm of clearance.

From reading the numerous forums and bike sites it seems the industry is sending any XC and light trail stuff to 29 and maybe sending the burly all mountain stuff to 650b.

I wonder because I am wondering whether to wait it out for 650 to make a bigger splash in the XC market or just join the zombie masses.

Anybody have any thoughts?
    Broadway Bikes: Grease Monkey/Sales/you name it, we do it

Rubber side down is never bad!

mtbr member
    I've been racing xxc and 100s on 650b for a few years now. It's money. And no trail REQUIRES 5.5" of travel, but you go faster that way. I've been racing on 140mm with no problems.

The industry doesn't know where it's going yet. Usually never does. It's not a monolith.

Enjoy the travel.

mk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    When Scott is involved you can put your money on that they will have something in the bracket your after.

Wrench
    You know, numerous Santa Cruz models would work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    As a member of the zombie market, I will agree with gvs. Scott is pointing toward a race level scale and spark, both very XC. It seems to me that the main emphasis is coming from Europe, which has a much more XC/enduro interest than what seems to drive the US/Canadian Market. If this assumption is correct, and given that 29ers are still given the cold shoulder in Europe, I think 650b will have a strong XC presence.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by chwesley View Post
    I am a XXC type of guy, so my riding style does not require these 5.5 inch 650b all-mountain bikes.

Currently I have my spark 30 set up with a lefty and 650b front and kept the back at a 26 because I can run a 2.2 tire with ample clearance as opposed to a 2.0 tire with 5mm of clearance.

From reading the numerous forums and bike sites it seems the industry is sending any XC and light trail stuff to 29 and maybe sending the burly all mountain stuff to 650b.

I wonder because I am wondering whether to wait it out for 650 to make a bigger splash in the XC market or just join the zombie masses.

Anybody have any thoughts?
    Yeah I'm right there with you. I would guess we'll see some XC-worthy components despite the push to make 650b an all-mountain niche. Like the man says, if Scott (and other European companies) is getting involved there will be some XC gear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As above, agreed. There's definately been industry talk of 650B being a lighter alternative to 29" here in the Euro market. The first forks from RS and Fox do hint at 5" trail bikes but I'm expecting to see bikes in the light / marathon / endurance style too. RS will adapt fork specs for relatively low MOQs and I'd guess DT Swiss are with Scott on all this, so 100-120mm forks won't be far behind,if behind at all.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Jamis built their 2012 Dakar XCR Race with a 650B compatable triangle. Also has a Fox fork so it's all ready for a conversion.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

Members who have read this thread: 0