mtbr member
    Jul 2011

How would you go about figuring out if your bike is 650b capable?

Ive been playing with the 650b idea but I dont know the first step to take. How would one go about figuring out if its possible on ones bike without having a 650b wheelset to test fit? Is there specific measurements you can take to at least get you close before spending the cash on a wheelset that wont fit? Any advice is appreciated.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Use a diameter of 704mm (for an inflated 2.35 neo-moto trail tire mounted on a 650B rim) and calculate, measure, estimate etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So basically if I can measure out to 352mm in a 360* pattern without hitting anything (im assuming I need to measure at full rear shock compression as well) then it should be in the clear diameter wise, then it would only be a matter of finding a tire that would work width wise?
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Yup, That would do it.

www.derbyrims.com
    Really the only true test is by mounting a 650b wheel.

I do a quick check of bike clearance by stuffing the first knuckle of my index finger between the bridge or yoke of the stays and around the knobs of a 26 inch 2.2 or larger tire on a bike. My index finger's knuckle measures 3/4 inch wide (measure yours first). If it clears without difficulty, very likely a 650b Neo-moto 2.3 will clear.

Be aware of clearance for the 650b side knobs. Some bikes have stays that weave inward to avoid the front derailleur cage or rings.

Bottom travel clearance requires deflating the shock. I don't check that unless very interested in the bike, and then will mount my 650b wheel in the bike to confirm for sure.... If the stays clear but the seat tube rubs with a 650b tire mounted, it's very easy to shim the bottom travel slightly with hand made shims inside an air shock or under a coil shock bottom bumper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Id rather not have to change the travel on the shock to any less since im already only running a 4 inch travel bike.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    If needed, Shimming is minimal 3-10mm max.

Members who have read this thread: 0