how is the "ride feel" on a blur trc 650b?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

how is the "ride feel" on a blur trc 650b?

Hi all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I've seen plenty of technical info on the blur trc conversion to 650b, but I can't get a sense of how it'll ride. I've got the 26" version currently and I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset to either a nice 26" or 27.5" set. Dave will be getting my business.

I ride the local Tahoe trails. I'm banging my pedals to pulp with the low BB and I'm hoping the higher BB with the 27.5's will help.

I love how my low-slung rig corners, but I'm constantly banging a pedal/crankarm/chainring on rocks on climbs. I'm getting fairly bummed out about it.

Anyhow... I'm hoping to keep the attributes of the TRc that I love while improving that which I hate (f'ing ground scraping BB height).

My question is... how does it ride? Does it feel all tall/long-legged and gangly? Is there a noticeable improvement in BB clearance? Does it still rail corners?

Any/all comments on the "feel" of the bike post-conversion are much, much appreciated!!

mtbr member

I loved mine. The BB will be around .5" higher and it definitely helped with pedal strikes. I didn't notice any loss of playfulness or corner railing ability. Would still be on it if not for the circle crack issue.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mestapho... what circle crack issue?? Did the carbon crack at the BB?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    hmmm... did SC give you sh!t for having run 650b? Do you think it affected it? How did you eventually resolve it?

mtbr member
    Any other feedback on how the bike feels?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Worker View Post
    hmmm... did SC give you sh!t for having run 650b? Do you think it affected it? How did you eventually resolve it?
    The crack issue had nothing to do with the wheel size. It's a design fault with the rear triangle pivot hardware. The newer bikes are MUCH stouter with co-molded fittings now. The old hardware is just epoxied into place and in my experience (4 frames/ rear triangles) would eventually break loose. I'd keep an eye on that pivot. If it cracks you could warranty into a proper 650b frame. I'd imagine the Solo, Bronson or nomad would be perfect in SLT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I really liked 27.5 wheels on my TRc. I didn't think it changed the riding characteristics except no more pedal strikes and it was easier to clear obstacles.
    The issue you will have is you will most likely need to shim your shock for tire clearance and even then you will have a very limited selection of tires to choose from. The only wide tire I found to have decent clearance was the 2.3 neo moto tire.

mtbr member
    Thanks pwu. I plan to put a 3mm nylon washer in the shock... looks pretty easy to do. I heard the nobby nic's are good tires as well?

feedback much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I have a converted 2012 Blur XCc, this bike is way better as a 27.5er than a 26er. The bb being only 1/2" really made a difference and the wheels seem to make the bike faster and grippier. I have had no problems using the bigger wheels such as clearence problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks pwu. I plan to put a 3mm nylon washer in the shock... looks pretty easy to do. I heard the nobby nic's are good tires as well?

feedback much appreciated.
    I heard the nobby nic's are a huge tire unless they've changed it.
    When I said I was having clearance issues, I meant that the tire would rub the cable stop for the FD on full compression. When I had my original TRc(135mm rear) I just needed 2 nylon washers to avoid any contact on full compression, then I got the warranty replacement frame(142mm rear) and had to add another 2 washers to avoid contact at full compression with the same tire/parts moved over from the original frame.
    I also tried 2 other tires, a WTB 2.1 and a specialized Purgatory 2.3. Both tires would rub the cable stop at full compression...I eventually put in 6! spacers to prevent rubbing and even then on really big hits or big G-outs it would still kind of rub the cable stop.

Eventually I got another warranty replacement and now I'm on a 5010c.
    I really liked my converted TRc but the rear tire clearance was definitely an issue that needs to be considered.

mtbr member
    Well, I ordered my 27.5 wheels today. Pretty psyched about it. I got the Velocity Blunt SS rims laced to Hadley hubs... Dave says it'll be about 1,600g all said and done. Word.

On to tires...

Are Neo Moto 2.3's still the deal? Better to do different front and rear tires? Neo Moto in back and... Conti King up front? Are the Kenda honey badger (want to buy it just for the name) any good?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've had my trc converted for almost two years, originally had neo motos but have blown off two separates tires on my arch ex. Once was landing a bit sideways from a small jump, the other was just from a floor pump trying to seat the tire. Current setup i have is a hans dampf 2.35 up front and a nobby nic 2.25 in the rear, both setup tubeless easily, both are snakeskin.
    I'm really happy with this setup and am done tire shopping. Btw i've ran this setup with a fox 32 but i now have a white brothers loop set at 130. A really great fork with alot more leaf and mud clearance compared to the fox 26 forks.

NedwannaB
    Well, I ordered my 27.5 wheels today. Pretty psyched about it. I got the Velocity Blunt SS rims laced to Hadley hubs... Dave says it'll be about 1,600g all said and done. Word.

On to tires...

Are Neo Moto 2.3's still the deal? Better to do different front and rear tires? Neo Moto in back and... Conti King up front? Are the Kenda honey badger (want to buy it just for the name) any good?

Thanks
    Honey Badgers are a great back tire. A little bigger than the Neo's tho. A 2.35 Nevagal are good to match up with in front. Also the 2.2 Wolverine rear/2.3 Vigilante front is a good setup. I've run both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    2.3 neo moto-front, wolverine-rear was my original combo. The wolverine is a great rear but its huge. Currently running them front and rear on my jamis dragon 650b winter beater bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Blur TRC Conversion - Soliciting 2020 Feedback

Hi all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I've seen plenty of technical info on the blur trc conversion to 650b, but I can't get a sense of how it'll ride. I've got the 26" version currently and I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset to either a nice 26" or 27.5" set. Dave will be getting my business.

I ride the local Tahoe trails. I'm banging my pedals to pulp with the low BB and I'm hoping the higher BB with the 27.5's will help.

I love how my low-slung rig corners, but I'm constantly banging a pedal/crankarm/chainring on rocks on climbs. I'm getting fairly bummed out about it.

Anyhow... I'm hoping to keep the attributes of the TRc that I love while improving that which I hate (f'ing ground scraping BB height).

My question is... how does it ride? Does it feel all tall/long-legged and gangly? Is there a noticeable improvement in BB clearance? Does it still rail corners?

Any/all comments on the "feel" of the bike post-conversion are much, much appreciated!!
    Hello all,

I have a 2012 Blur TRC and just ruined the rear wheel at Northstar. Finding a 26" rear wheel with boost is challenging and expensive so I'm considering a conversion to 27.5" Wondering if everyone is still good with the conversion... There are a number of articles that advise against it. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    A 2.1 or 2.25 27.5 is the same size or smaller than a 26x2.4. Theres no good reason not to run a 27.5 wheel, as long as you're good with the smaller tire sizes. It really rides the same, just slightly firmer due to the smaller tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    A 2.1 or 2.25 27.5 is the same size or smaller than a 26x2.4. Theres no good reason not to run a 27.5 wheel, as long as you're good with the smaller tire sizes. It really rides the same, just slightly firmer due to the smaller tire.
    So stick to 26" and run larger tires... Any advice on Rims and size? I have the original Stans 3.30 hubs... Was going to go to the local bike shop and have them build a wheel as an option or buy a whole new wheel.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Although I don't use my Santa Cruz Blur anymore( I gave it to my son) there is definitely a visual size difference between a 26x2.4 tire and the 27.5x 2.25 thats on the bike.
    I'm sure different rims and different tire brands are going to differ. But owning and putting many miles on this bike, The 27.5 wheels were better.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Thanks.

Bike shop can't work on my 26" wheel until mid Sept... Already ordered the rim. I guess I could buy a set of 27.5" wheels, but I don;t necessarily want a firmer ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You said you couldn't find a 26" boost wheel. The 2012 Blur TRc is not Boost, it is 12 x 142. So whatever you get, don't get boost.
    2020 Canyon Neuron 9.0 LTD
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Its 10x135 QR
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    You said you couldn't find a 26" boost wheel. The 2012 Blur TRc is not Boost, it is 12 x 142. So whatever you get, don't get boost.
    You are correct! Thanks for correcting my brain fart!