Help with a new bike, not for bike parks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Help with a new bike, not for bike parks

Hi all, looking for advice on a new bike. I have ridden an Ibis Mojo Hd3 for years and upgraded every component including the boost rear triangle. But the beast was getting old and I thought I could find an improvement in overall performance with new tech. After a lot of money out the door, I am considering ripping off all the components of my new bike and putting them on the old HD3.

My experience is that most of the new bikes including all the Ibis and half a dozen 29ers I have ridden have more aggressive geometry, meaning longer lower slacker. And I believe what they really mean by aggressive is "made to go faster".

I don't want to go that fast. I ride all natural trials in socal Angeles Crest and for half the high degree of difficulty features I encounter I am under 10 MPH, steep rocky chunk with a turn at the bottom, hairpins etc.

The HD3 was awesome, Mojo 3 does not have enough travel for me, need to be able to plow in places. Ripmo was like turning a wagon down those trails ( I'm 5'8"), felt like a passenger, not a pilot. Same with most 29s. Just Demo's HD5, sorry ibis, hated it. Mushy "traction tune" suspension, longer than a Ripmo. No mountain goat there.

So, any suggestions? This is killing me.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    I am experiencing largely the same frustration. Not trying to tread-jack you, but here is my bike recent bike switch including thoughts and frustrations. Maybe we have some of the same issues going on?

I demo'd some 29ers, it felt like I was riding a drunk elephant, much like your comment about being the passenger, rather than being the pilot. I think loads of these newer frames (27.5 and 29ers) are designed to 'go fast in a straight line' where there are those of us who like the chunk and don't care if we are riding @ 20 mph. Most bikes are being built for racing rather than real old-school riding, me thinks?

==========================

I have a 'new to me' 2016 Giant Trance, it's all built up with top specs, hubs, susp upgrades, the works. My prior bike was a 26" wheel Ibis HD - The old Ibis had short chain stays and a short top tube. I felt 'too big' for the bike but road it for years. It rode lively and I could plow chunk because I could trust the bike.

The 2016 Giant Trance has a longer top tube and longer chain stays. It has been very difficult to ride step ups, wheelies or manuals. I am not able to get the front wheel to lift up over basic obstacles, even small step ups are a huge effort.

The old 26" wheel Ibis was easy to flick up these type rock obstacles with ease. Now, with the new ride, it is very difficult and frustrating. I believe that the longer top tube and longer chain stays is the problem here? I am not a bike geometry guru, so I'm looking to see if anyone here can agree on the newer bike geometry as the source of the problem?

So the only real solution that I can think of is to locate a new bike frame with shorter chain stays and/or shorter top tube (creating an easier wheel lift). If so, are there any newer bikes that can be suggested?

========

K6rick - Measure up your old HD3 chainstays/top tube and see how that compares to the new bike(s). If we can identify the difference in bike geometry, I guess we would be getting closer to a 'new bike' solution'?
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    I am experiencing largely the same frustration. Not trying to tread-jack you, but here is my bike recent bike switch including thoughts and frustrations. Maybe we have some of the same issues going on?

I demo'd some 29ers, it felt like I was riding a drunk elephant, much like your comment about being the passenger, rather than being the pilot. I think loads of these newer frames (27.5 and 29ers) are designed to 'go fast in a straight line' where there are those of us who like the chunk and don't care if we are riding @ 20 mph. Most bikes are being built for racing rather than real old-school riding, me thinks?

==========================

I have a 'new to me' 2016 Giant Trance, it's all built up with top specs, hubs, susp upgrades, the works. My prior bike was a 26" wheel Ibis HD - The old Ibis had short chain stays and a short top tube. I felt 'too big' for the bike but road it for years. It rode lively and I could plow chunk because I could trust the bike.

The 2016 Giant Trance has a longer top tube and longer chain stays. It has been very difficult to ride step ups, wheelies or manuals. I am not able to get the front wheel to lift up over basic obstacles, even small step ups are a huge effort.

The old 26" wheel Ibis was easy to flick up these type rock obstacles with ease. Now, with the new ride, it is very difficult and frustrating. I believe that the longer top tube and longer chain stays is the problem here? I am not a bike geometry guru, so I'm looking to see if anyone here can agree on the newer bike geometry as the source of the problem?

So the only real solution that I can think of is to locate a new bike frame with shorter chain stays and/or shorter top tube (creating an easier wheel lift). If so, are there any newer bikes that can be suggested?

========

K6rick - Measure up your old HD3 chainstays/top tube and see how that compares to the new bike(s). If we can identify the difference in bike geometry, I guess we would be getting closer to a 'new bike' solution'?
    The Mojo HD3 had a 430mm chain stay and 1146 wheel base. HD5 has same chain stay but a 1211 wheelbase, I think Im looking for a 430 chain stay with no more than an 1180 wheelbase on a 6" travel frame.