Help me pick a "new" (used bike)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Help me pick a "new" (used bike)

Hi all,

I'm a fan from Italy, and I need your help.

After riding an extremely underwhelming and boring XC bike for about 3 years I've finally saved up enough money for a serious bike, still don't have cash for a new one though :/...

Although boring, the XC bike has really built up my fitness (easy when you're 17 I guess...) so I must give it merit.

The main problem is descending: it is absolutely atrocious, I've managed to destroy my fork seals 3 times, after trying to hit some serious jumps/drops. It just sucks going downhill: all the weight is forced forwards, it feels very very dodgy and unsafe, and overall not very fun.

After trying some enduro and dh bikes at the bike park (Santa Cruz Nomad, Kona Stinky, GT Sanction, Giant Fury) I've decided I want one as my next bike.

My budget is 1300 euros can't stretch any further...

I'm 175cm high and weigh 60kg (M size bike)

While researching I've narrowed it down to
    https://mercatino.mtb-mag.com/p-5037...partan-27,5--M

https://mercatino.mtb-mag.com/p-4973...wnhill---USATA

Like I said, I'd like to start riding park seriously, but I also take regular day-long trips in the mountains where both climbing and descending are mixed. I know the ultimate bike doesn't exist, and yes, DH bikes are never going to climb like XC bikes but mountain biking is my main source of exercise, so I guess extra weight would help increase strength and fitness even more? Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass...
    DH bikes are so much fun once it gets to the downhill part of the ride...

Would there be room to upgrade the bikes I listed, better fork, rear shock, brakes etc.
    Why not just buy a better bike straight away? I just can't shell out all that cash in one go, I could wait longer but I want something for the upcoming season, after trying the better bikes I can't stand mine anymore...

My main concern with the Devinci is the fork: I've read some reviews and seems to be more of a trail fork rather than enduro/dh...
    Granted, both the DeVinci and the Giant have 35mm stanchions, with the Giant being older and 300 euros cheaper.

I've found cheaper and older alternatives as well:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8221593465326/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2369704609158/
    this one needs a shock rebuild

The risk with these older bikes is that they are severely outdated with hidden problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    If your buying used I would look for a steel all mountain hardtail. Something like a chromag wide angle. A good steel frame will last for years and years where as an enduro frame may already by worn out and need a lot of work when you get it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerC View Post
    If your buying used I would look for a steel all mountain hardtail. Something like a chromag wide angle. A good steel frame will last for years and years where as an enduro frame may already by worn out and need a lot of work when you get it.
    But wouldn't that be a downgrade compared to my alloy XC?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    No, it would be an upgrade. Steel is more durable than aluminum. These bikes come with 140-150mm forks and can handle a lot. Your xc bike likely has a 100mm 32mm stanchion fork. These bikes are rocking 34mm stanchion 140 plus mm forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerC View Post
    No, it would be an upgrade. Steel is more durable than aluminum. These bikes come with 140-150mm forks and can handle a lot. Your xc bike likely has a 100mm 32mm stanchion fork. These bikes are rocking 34mm stanchion 140 plus mm forks.
    So you wouldn't any of the bikes listed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ice.sergio24 View Post
    But wouldn't that be a downgrade compared to my alloy XC?
    Watch this video. This is what all mountain hardtails are made for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxzKQ1Y3o4

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ice.sergio24 View Post
    So you wouldn't any of the bikes listed?
    Suspension parts wear out over time. Since your on a budget get a bike without rear suspension because it will be cheaper to maintain. Your already doing the drops without suspension. A shock rebuild and new pivots can easily run you 250 euro. If you have 3500 euro for a new bike sure, get suspension. But, on a budget get something that will last 20 years of hard riding.

mtbr member
    At $1500US I would pass on a used FS bike. At about $2500US you can get into a good FS bike with decent components and modern geo. YT Jeffsey, Kona Process (134/153), Fezzari, Canyon Spectral, and a few others out there at that price.

If $1500 is your max I would focus on a hardtail as MillerC mentions.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Spartan is a good enduro bike, don't worry about the fork, though depending on hours used you may need to have the fork and shock rebuilt, or consider upgrading down the road to a beefier fork and/or a coil shock. The Spartan can be ridden up or down the mountain, it is park worthy as well as a decent all mountain bike.

F*** hardtails, that's some serious bullshit saying that there is any hardtail that can compare with a decent FS bike like the Spartan, esp on anything like riding park features. You're looking at enduro and DH bikes and these guys are suggesting a hardtail? Wow, I need to get some of what they're smoking!

A DH bike is not gonna be worth a damn on anything other than shuttle or lift served downhill and all those you linked are junk shows. A DH bike is not a pedal bike, single use for park or shuttle.

Get the Spartan, sell the XC bike, then think about getting a hardtail for XC or getting a DH for park. You primarily need a good all mountain bike that will serve multiple uses.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)