Help me find my ideal fork, please- Mtbr.com
    A waste of time it is is

Help me find my ideal fork, please

So I have a 456c, pacenti rims laced to hope hubs all rubbered up and all the necessary bits just sitting around waiting to build up my "1106bc" but I'm struggling to find my ideal fork.

What is my ideal fork? 110 - 140mm adjustable travel, lockout, preferably bar mounted, rebound and compression adjustment, 15mm TA and tapered, sub 1700gms or there abouts and for the price of a Velvet.

So the closest I get is the Velvet RL2 DLA but sadly this is a no go for 650b. Almost pulled the trigger last night on a G2 09 talas but for fleabays "one click" bid button that takes more than one click to work. I've found a few Talas forks but they are a bit like me, on the portly side and to be honest I'd prefer to stay away from the sly one this time around if possible

I'm not so much asking for a direct link to a second hand fork in my price range but recommendations like "Try and find a ...... fork, it meets all of your check list. So any suggestions of make and model?

Thanks in advance

LyN
    mtbr member
    I am running a 456c with a front 650b wheel, Pacenti TL28 with Nevegal 2.35. I find my fork is a very good match for this kit. It's a DT Swiss XMC 130 fork which surprisingly gives 140mm of travel. This fork seems a 650b fork as clearance with this tire is huge!

I also have a similar wheel with a DT Swiss EXC 150 fork anc clearance is the same. These forks seem ideal for 650b wheels!

mtbr member
    IIRC, Magura offers the Thor w/ travel adjust.
    It is light, stiff, clear 650b wheel, available with 15qr...not sure you'll find one cheap.

A waste of time it is is
    thanks so far.
    I have the feeling this is going to be like the old "light, cheap, reliable, pick two 'cause you can't get all three" conundrum.

Just a flesh wound
    Go radical and put a Lefty up there!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Velvet RL2 DLA may not be out of the question. I know it does not accept the 650b spacer that is recommended by X-Fusion, but I ran a 2012 Velvet RL2 (non DLA) without the spacer, and had plenty of clearance with RR 2.25's.

Also, the non DLA Velvets are very easy to adjust travel on, if you don't mind taking the fork apart. That would give you another option that would be 650b specific.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by textbookonewk View Post
    The Velvet RL2 DLA may not be out of the question. I know it does not accept the 650b spacer that is recommended by X-Fusion, but I ran a 2012 Velvet RL2 (non DLA) without the spacer, and had plenty of clearance with RR 2.25's.

Also, the non DLA Velvets are very easy to adjust travel on, if you don't mind taking the fork apart. That would give you another option that would be 650b specific.
    Plenty of Velvet's on flea bay....but of course not the one I'm looking for

I'm gonna guess the DLA would work fine with the current crop of 650B tires. Makes no sense that it wouldn't since the RL2 clears ok in the 140mm travel setting.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

banned
    Feb 2012
    Then there is the White Brothers Loop but it is a little more expensive than XFusion forks. Some people here like them a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Then there is the White Brothers Loop but it is a little more expensive than XFusion forks. Some people here like them a lot.
    I replaced my Velvet with a Loop. I do like it a lot, but it is heavier, and quite a bit more expensive. Plus it is available as a 80/100/120, or 120/140/160 chassis which doesn't fit what the OP asked for, though the latter version might be acceptable.

The Velvet is worth every penny though. I would not hesitate to pick up another one.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, I ride a Velvet and am very happy with it, too.

A waste of time it is is
    Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

I have looked for confirmation on the the Thor and can only find this post and that looks a little too close for comfort for me to spending that kind of money.

As for the DLA vevlet I keep getting told no it doesn't work. Yes it looks like it should and I can't quite understand why it doesn't but the latest one to say no was an ebay seller that has them listed. I contacted them, explained what I planned on using the fork for and asked for the compressed a2c dimension with no air in the fork. The response I got was

"I have already done this very thing, and it doesn't work. Sorry. "

So again, not prepared to spend the money on a gamble, particulalry when so many people are saying it's a no go.

If anyone has a mate or a contact at an lbs with access to a RL2 DLA and can throw a 650b wheel in there I would be most grateful.

For now, I'll be putting my F100rlc from my titus onto this build and hoping that something that fits the bill comes along soon.

Again thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

I have looked for confirmation on the the Thor and can only find this post and that looks a little too close for comfort for me to spending that kind of money.

As for the DLA vevlet I keep getting told no it doesn't work. Yes it looks like it should and I can't quite understand why it doesn't but the latest one to say no was an ebay seller that has them listed. I contacted them, explained what I planned on using the fork for and asked for the compressed a2c dimension with no air in the fork. The response I got was

"I have already done this very thing, and it doesn't work. Sorry. "

So again, not prepared to spend the money on a gamble, particulalry when so many people are saying it's a no go.

If anyone has a mate or a contact at an lbs with access to a RL2 DLA and can throw a 650b wheel in there I would be most grateful.

For now, I'll be putting my F100rlc from my titus onto this build and hoping that something that fits the bill comes along soon.

Again thanks
    I have a 2012 Velvet 140/110 DLA. It works just fine for 650b with a 2.35 Nevegal (on a Crest rim).

If you let all the air out and compress fully, the crown will contact. So for peace of mind, I dropped an extra 5mm urethane bottom bumper onto the damper side post. I had never hit the tire prior to that, but...cheap & easy insurance. It's VERY easy to remove the lowers, slide an extra bottom bumper on the post (adding to the one there already), then grease (Buzzy's Slick Honey is great) and re-assemble. 10 minutes, including removing the disc caliper.

Many LBS's will have extra bottom out bumpers licking around. Good luck.

A waste of time it is is
    redbarn that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Any chance you took pics with the air out and crown compressed?

As for the fork, are you happy with it? How does the travel adjust work, do you have turn a dial several times to get it down like the reba u-turn or is it a quarter turn drops 20mm type set up?

Thanks very much

mtbr member
    May 2005
    From my understanding it's just a quick turn and the travel drops (like a Talas). No winding down.

Remember a Nevegal is taller then a Neo Moto by approx 2mm radius (4mm in diameter total) but yeah emu26 it's the info we both have been looking for. Adding a bumper almost sounds to easy. Again X-Fusion playing it safe.

See this review for 1/4 turn adjust info

X-Fusion Velvet RL2 DLA Suspension Fork Review - BikeRadar
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    redbarn that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Any chance you took pics with the air out and crown compressed?

As for the fork, are you happy with it? How does the travel adjust work, do you have turn a dial several times to get it down like the reba u-turn or is it a quarter turn drops 20mm type set up?

Thanks very much
    No pics, sorry. About 2-3mm interference IIRC - probably enough to be worried about dental work, should it happen. I'm in design engineering and itinerantly lazy/busy, so I rode it without the bumper for a month, knowing my risk was low. My trusty zip-tie travel indicator told me I never came close once, even though I rattled off some legitmate backcountry rubble and a few crazy flow trails.

I like the fork, especially as the seals wore in and it became more buttery. It does blow through it's travel a bit quickly for me - I'd like some LS compression damping control (without jacking up the reound damping). Reckon I could mess with the shim stack, but then again...lazy.

The DLA is fine - 1/3 turn to 110mm, 1/3 turn back to 140mm - very reliable & bomber. That said, I rearley use it and would prefer 130-140 - that I would use. I may revert to the RL air spring to get my preferred 130mm geometry on this bike (and lighter).

The bumper can only go on the damper side - there's no room on the air spring side and you DO NOT want to take the DLA cartidge apart.

Good luck.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Can a quality hefty zip tie work as a ghetto external bumper? It will prevent the fork from fully compressing, too.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Can a quality hefty zip tie work as a ghetto external bumper? It will prevent the fork from fully compressing, too.
    My only concern with that would be that it might push the seal in under a heavy hit. Don't know if that is possible or not but would hate to find out the hard way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My only concern with that would be that it might push the seal in under a heavy hit. Don't know if that is possible or not but would hate to find out the hard way.
    Yup, I've run that. Use 2 each beefy zipties on either side, basically sacrificing your seals to save your dental work. Either that of take the time to drop in another bottom out bumper.

Ach, what the hell, I haven't done a superman over the bars in ages...might be good for me.

A waste of time it is is
    Just a quick update to let you know that after months of procrastination and indecision the search is finally over.

Just picked up a brand new 2010 3 position 140mm talas which, apart from being from the sly one and "silver" ticked all of the other boxes.

The rest of you should be grateful for this because no doubt now that I have put my money down, the market will be flooded with ideal forks.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by emu26; 08-29-2012 at 11:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i installed the bottom out bumper that x-fusion provided
    Quote Originally Posted by redbarn View Post
    I have a 2012 Velvet 140/110 DLA. It works just fine for 650b with a 2.35 Nevegal (on a Crest rim).

If you let all the air out and compress fully, the crown will contact. So for peace of mind, I dropped an extra 5mm urethane bottom bumper onto the damper side post. I had never hit the tire prior to that, but...cheap & easy insurance. It's VERY easy to remove the lowers, slide an extra bottom bumper on the post (adding to the one there already), then grease (Buzzy's Slick Honey is great) and re-assemble. 10 minutes, including removing the disc caliper.

Many LBS's will have extra bottom out bumpers licking around. Good luck.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2 View Post
    i installed the bottom out bumper that x-fusion provided
    Just so I understand correctly, we are talking about a 140mm Velvet RL2 DLA fork that has the 140 - 110mm "on-the-fly" travel adjust feature and x-fusion supplied you the bumper for use with 650b wheels?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just a quick update to let you know that after months of procrastination and indecision the search is finally.

Just picked up a brand new 2010 3 position 140mm talas which, apart from being from the sly one and "silver" ticked all of the other boxes.

The rest of you should be grateful for this because no doubt now that I have put my money down, the market will be flooded with ideal forks.

Thanks again.

Torpedo7 had XMM 140's for a good price. I was a FOX fan boy but my F140 is very flexy compared to my XMM 140. Great bar mounted travel adjust. Uber smooth, stiff and light. Low tire clearance for a neo 2.3 though. Hopefully I can squeeze in the new 2.25 Ro Ro. I don't think it would take the new 2.4 No Ni though.

http://forums.mtbr.com/9372280-post548.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yes that is correct about the bumper.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2 View Post
    yes that is correct about the bumper.
    Well that just flies in the face of 2 emails I have received from two different US x-fusion employees, a third email conversation with my local distributor and and also the reply received from an e-tailor for x-fusion that has said he had tried 650b on that fork and it didn't work.

Props to you for getting it done. Too late for me as my Talas arrived in the post today.

Edit: Thanks gvs. Do you still get weekly Wednesday emails from them? Mine seem to have stopped coming
    Last edited by emu26; 08-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm a Torpedo7 and CRC regular so I get plenty of spam.

Members who have read this thread: 0