mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Help on first Hardtail build

So my plan is to buy a full suspension upgrade at some point between now and spring. Would like to build my first bike 27.5 or 27.5+,I am a beginner but would like any input /Recommendations.

I want a build that I can take out and just have fun on the trails and small jumps. Donít have a huge budget but want something of decent quality at the end.

Anyone has any recommendations or has anything theyíre booking to sell that might be of interest please let me know.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Also if there is a better thread for this to be posted in please let me know. I just know I wanted 27.5 wheels so I posted it here

mtbr member
    I'd you don't have a big budget, your probably better off just buying a complete hardtail. There are only a handful of 27.5 frames you can buy, and those will run you $400 or more. Once you start buying everything else, it's going to add up quickly. You can buy a decent complete hardtail for around $1000.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I'd you don't have a big budget, your probably better off just buying a complete hardtail. There are only a handful of 27.5 frames you can buy, and those will run you $400 or more. Once you start buying everything else, it's going to add up quickly. You can buy a decent complete hardtail for around $1000.
    Thanks Timothy but I am perfectly fine with $1000 at the end of the build. I just mean I donít need some high-end frame and components thatís going to run me much more than 1000$-1500$.

My main point on building the bike is because it something that Iím sure I would enjoy. Not necessarily to save money. Iíve been working on motorcycles and rebuilding vintage motorcycles for years and really enjoyed that so I figured I may as well try and build a bicycle.

Thanks a lot for you input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    First off, in that budget I would be going hardtail. Browse pinkbike.com and see if anything catches your eye.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    First off, in that budget I would be going hardtail. Browse pinkbike.com and see if anything catches your eye.
    Thatís what my post says, looking to build a hardtail. I realize Iím definitely not going to able to get a full suspension for that price. I plan on getting a specific full Suspension bike in the spring.

Again Iím looking to build this bike just to enjoy the build and I figured it would be much easier building a Hardtail for my first one.

Iíll check out pink bike, I was just looking for some advice on the actual build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I think $1000 is optimistic for a build unless you find good deals on used parts and even then. I looked at doing builds and realistically to get what I thought was going to be a a reasonable build (XT/SLX 11spd drivetrain, Dartmoor frame, dropper post, decent wheelset (but not fancy), DVO Beryl fork, etc) I was looking at over $2800. I could knock that down a bit by using a cheaper fork then a DVO Beryl say a Rockshox Recon and some other cheaper components but it would still be over $2000. But honestly at that point the quality of the components would be lower then the same price Dartmoor complete and lower then a number of other bikes (Nukeproof Scout or Vitus Senter for example). Budget, quality and custom don't seem to go together.

My current plan is to buy a Nukeproof Scout 275 Race next year when they are back in stock and modifying that over time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What size bike do you ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    What size bike do you ride?
    I am on the smaller end of a medium. 17.5Ē

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travisvt View Post
    I am on the smaller end of a medium. 17.5Ē
    Something like this medium giant fathom 2 on pinkbike for $700. It has good geometry for a first bike and if you upgraded the fork to a pike or fox 34 you would have a really sick bike for $1500. As it sits it is a pretty nice budget bike.

Barely in control
    You can get a Norco Torrent frame for $600 or a whole bike for $1600.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Something like this medium giant fathom 2 on pinkbike for $700. It has good geometry for a first bike and if you upgraded the fork to a pike or fox 34 you would have a really sick bike for $1500. As it sits it is a pretty nice budget bike.
    Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    You can get a Norco Torrent frame for $600 or a whole bike for $1600.
    How would you compare the Norco Torrrnt to the giant Fathom?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If your going to spend $1500 you could just get something like this. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445410/

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    If your going to spend $1500 you could just get something like this. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445410/
    Funny enough Thatís the bike I plan to get after saving through the winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey Partywagon, I ended up picking up that bike you recommended. I am curious what other forks youíd recommend to put on it? I would
    Like a few options that are good since I will be trying to find a used fork. Need to also figure out the size/figment but mainly just looking for recommendations to keep an eye out for.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think the cheapest fork will be a rock shox Pike. Make sure it has the right steerer tube and axle type. It's a pretty nice entry level bike so make sure you have good riding gear before blowing through your budget. If you upgrade fork now you could just get a nice wheel set and frame in the spring and move all your parts to that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I think the cheapest fork will be a rock shox Pike. Make sure it has the right steerer tube and axle type. It's a pretty nice entry level bike so make sure you have good riding gear before blowing through your budget. If you upgrade fork now you could just get a nice wheel set and frame in the spring and move all your parts to that.
    Thanks.
    Is there any websites that have parts schematic on specific bikes? (Guess Iím used to dirt bikes) I see it has a 15mm through axle but canít find the length anywhere. I know I can measure it when I get it but figured that information would be available online. Also the steerer tube size/figment I cant seem to find. Beginner problems lol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just ride the fathom stock for a year and then decide on your dream bike. It may just be a fathom with a few upgrades or it could be something as much as an Enduro bike. That frame is nice enough to build a good bike around. It should be a tapered fork with a 15*100 axle. If you can find a screaming deal on a fork you can go ahead and grab one if you really want to. Giant sells those frames for like $650.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wouldnít bother with a full build with only a $1000 budget. You will blow past it in no time (or end up with a pos). On top of the bike parts you will most likely need to buy the tools to put it all together as well.

Look on the used market and upgrade a few parts, now is a perfect time to snag a deal since the season is at a close in many regions

Or go new, lots of ok bikes for a grand, also a good time to buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just built up a Santa Cruz Highball aluminum that I picked up for $150, its all sram xx1 RS Yari 130mm fork, sram roam 40 29" wheels. hopefully take it out Tuesday. ive got about $1300 in itHelp  on first Hardtail build-img_20180804_224557_271.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180804_224557_271.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	355.4 KB 
ID:	1222738

mtbr member
    I'm digging my Brand-X HT-01 budget build. Total about $1100 built in the middle of summer.
    2015 RS Revelation RL 150mm(Converted from 120mm)
    125 KS dropper
    SRAM x9 1x10
    2.3" WTV Vigilantes
    Pretty much Deore/BrandX everything else.

There are lots of used parts going for good prices now in the off season.
    Biggest PITA was finding decent 135mm rear wheels.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod130452

But if you're going to upgrade during spring just save up now and go straight to the full-sus. I'm a weirdo and like riding hardtails