mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Hawk hill 27.5 or rift zone?

So I just came back from performance bike and saw two full suspension bikes on sale. I need recommendation if I should consider any of these

1. 2018 Marin hawk hill 27.5 - $1065
    2. 2018 Marin rift zone 29.5- $1165

Any of these any good?
    Also to confuse myself even more I saw a post of someone getting a diamondback release 1 for $1500 and he said it has better specs. I could find that price but can wait if itís a better bike.

Or the hawk hill 27.5 for $1065 is a good or great deal?

I am new to mtn biking and believe that I donít have to spend thousands of dollars to have fun. I just want to spend once and know that for the price point I am getting the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have a 2018 Hawk Hill 1. I think you are looking at the 2019 which is virtually unchanged except the color. I've been super happy with it - it was a great value at $1400 and listed for $1499.

The 2019s that you are looking at are great deals at those prices - I would not expect to get those bikes for anywhere near that price from any one that is NOT going out of business. Around here virtually all of the remaining shops are getting MSRP+ for bikes - no discounts at all. And we've lost 9 stores in the last year (Bike America and Performance)...

All that said, you can get a much better bike for considerably more $ - it all depends on what you are looking to do.

I've had my Hawk Hill 1 since last spring and have ridden it quite a bit. It has served me well as a first full-suspension bike. I've ridden some higher end bikes and they have their advantages but the Marin is not holding me back in any way - I'm having a blast with it.

When I bought the HH I did check out a couple of 29ers (Camber, Trance, Rift Zone) and for me, the 27.5 just felt better for me. I have since ridden a couple of 29ers (Santa Cruz Tall Boy) a bit and I like it but I'm happy with the 27.5. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still get the Hawk Hill 1 over the others I test rode.

The other thing you need to check is if those bikes they have left are the correct frame size for you - this is critical. A bike that doesn't fit you (too big or small) is definitely not a good deal at practically any price.

My local Performance has a few Marins left as well and the prices are very compelling. If I didn't already have one I would definitely pick one up at those prices.

NedwannaB
    Those are both good prices! Questions we would ask you to expand on are how big/tall are you and what type of riding do you plan on doing? That might narrow down the suggestion on which would best suit your needs. Not that you couldn't ride either one on the same terrain.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I am 6 feet and when I was at the trek store they measured and it canevto about 19.5 for me so a large frame and that is what the store has.

Trek had a fuel ex from last year for $1700 but the sales guys said itís a medium and wonít fit me.

Anyways, I saw that the Marin doesnít come with peddles if I do end up buying it what pedals should I get.

Keep in mind what I have read is the at my local trails are not technical at all and I will riding in paved roads with my family too. Do these have lockouts for the air forks?

What other accessories will I need to buy and whatís a good site without having to spend too much. I am very budget minded.

Bikesexual
    Good bang for the buck on pedals Race Face Chesters, flat with pins great grip. You don't need mtb shoes, Vans work for some people.

Helmet yet? Don't cheap on that one.

Tire repair kit, a way to carry your water.

Pump mini and eventually a floor pump!

Cycling shorts with chamois help, but not a must.

Jensons usa is my go to online store. CRC is good as well. (Chain Reaction Cycles on the UK)
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer369 View Post
    I am 6 feet and when I was at the trek store they measured and it canevto about 19.5 for me so a large frame and that is what the store has.

Trek had a fuel ex from last year for $1700 but the sales guys said itís a medium and wonít fit me.

Anyways, I saw that the Marin doesnít come with peddles if I do end up buying it what pedals should I get.

Keep in mind what I have read is the at my local trails are not technical at all and I will riding in paved roads with my family too. Do these have lockouts for the air forks?

What other accessories will I need to buy and whatís a good site without having to spend too much. I am very budget minded.
    Personally I would get the Rift for your size, terrain and family outings you described. Can always upgrade bits over time if desired, or to a better bike if you find yourself advancing and really getting the bug! Plus you won't feel the resale hit so much on that bike if you do.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    They should throw in a set of plastic flats for you - they usually have boxes of them in the shop. However, given the situation at Performance (and the price you are looking at), I wouldn't blame them for not bothering.

Definitely the Race Face Chesters - great pedal, very popular, good price. Super grippy on pretty much any shoe. I wore regular sneakers (New Balance) for a while until I broke down and bought a pair of 5-10s. I even rode with a pair of Merrill Moab hiking boots on a rental bike with Chesters when I was out in Utah a few weeks ago - they worked fine for me.

At 6' I would probably lean toward the Rift Zone as well. Like I said, me at 5'9", I felt better on the 27.5" Hawk Hill. But the Rift Zone (29") in size large will be a great bike - they are basically the exact same bike comparably equiped. The only real difference other than color is the wheel size.