Haro Sonix --> 650b ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Haro Sonix --> 650b ?

On the Haro forum, downhilljill says the 650b won't fit in the swingarm. However, cracked headtube has a picture on his blog showing a 650b Sonix.

Can anyone clarify?

Are there any photos of clearance on the Sonix, and on the Xeon?
    this space left intentionally blank

nothing relevant to say
    The Sonix LT can clear the Neo-Moto. I have a LT swing arm on my standard Sonix. This option isn't readily available, sorry.
    check http://bikebizbae.blogspot.com for clearance images on the Xeon.

mtbr member
    CH is right...the Sonix LT swingarms will accept 650B wheels/tires but we don't sell them to the general public. There's clearance, but just not enough to offer the swingarms for sale. There are two reasons for this...one is there's the possibility that we'd end up warrantying a bunch of these frames as people pick up stones, etc in their tires and gouge the crap out of their swingarm. Second, the geometry of the stock Sonix (and Xeon) bikes aren't "perfect" for 650B wheels. Our production version of a Sonix 650B bike will have slightly modified geometry that brings the BB height down slightly to compensate for larger wheels.

I hope that helps clarify things!

TNC
    noMAD man
    You bring up an interesting point jill, but one that concerns me a bit...maybe. Please understand that I'm hardly an engineer...at best a lay person, hack who just rides a lot and tries a wide variety of "stuff". When you mention, "slightly modified geometry", in my mind I wonder if the "slightly modified" aspect of that approach will start to negate what the concept of 650B was trying to accomplish in the first place. Now, I understand that just bolting up a 650B setup to any bike "slightly" changes the geometry in itself, but that may be the tweak that many were looking for. I'm wondering if we really want the basic 26'er geometry tweaked to any notable degree to accomodate 650B setups.

Now I realize this discussion can get very fuzzy if one lets it, but I guess what I'm basically concerned about is a manufacturer offsetting somewhat the impact that we may be pursuing in the first place when it comes to installing the 650B setup on a 26" bike. Stay with me for just a minute as I try to explain in my very limited ability to probably relate this clearly. While I feel the taller wheel/tire benefit will remain almost regardless of whatever a manufacturer might do to a given bike design, I'm thinking that what a 650B can currently bring to a 26" bike is more than just an improvement of a taller wheel/tire setup. It's also a geometry change brought together in a compact package. If a manufacturer starts modifying the geometry numbers to any notable degree to "accept" the 650B setup, does this negatively affect some of the other benefits gained in the first place. I know my comment may sound a bit paranoic, and I probably have not explained what I was trying to relate in the best way, but it's just a thought that's been in the back of my mind since I started seeing pics of the Ventana full suspension 650B model. In that application, it appears that they are only tweaking the bare minimum of issues necessary to fit the 650B into the rear of the frame. When someone starts talking about altering the geometry numbers overall to accept a 650B...like steepening the head angle, tweaking the BB height, etc...I get concerned that some of the features of the 650B as I see them may get watered down...or at least the things that I see as "features" concerning 650B. I hope some of this made some sense, and I'd like to hear what others think about it.

mtbr member
    It makes absolute sense. Yes, we are lengthening the rear stays to accomodate the larger wheel size. And the minor tweak to the frame geometry is indeed minor. I will need to check with product manager PatSS to give you specifics on what "minor" equates to real numbers.

It's our goal to absolutely keep the integrity of true 26" wheel geometry. We feel we can make a great-riding bike ride even better with a minor tweak to drop the BB down slightly.

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about the 650b as it might apply to New England Singletrack and our rocky terrain. Perhaps in this region the way to go is to do a 26/650b combo using the 650b in front to give the rider a slightly better angle of attack, but still utilizing the 26" rear wheel to keep the shorter (than a true 650b fs frame) rear chainstay length for short steep ups and for wheelie drops and whatnot off of rocks and log rides etc. etc.

Sorta like what derby and TNC currently have with their set ups. Especially derby's Mojo!!

What do others think about this?

Members who have read this thread: 1