mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hardtail for xc and trail (which components matter most)?

So im after a hardtail for some xc and somewhat aggressive trail riding... Not sure how to define what i mean by that but i suppose a 'not so hardcore all mountain'?

Price range 2k to 3ish.. Canadian.

I have a few bikes in mind..all have various components (nukeproof, ibis, niner, santa cruz maybe).

If i were to base my purchase on componenets alone, which may be the best route? I like the idea of a nice fork , say a fox 32 or 34 or pike maybe but the drivetrain usually suffers a fair bit in my price range (lower end deore , slx etc) ... Yet i can get a nice drivetrain nx or gx eagle and better brakes with the fork usually being the biggest compromise i feel.

Wheels, hubs , bbs, handlebars seem to all be relatively the same quality on the bikes im viewing..

Is it just easier to upgrade a drivetrain once its well worn ? Maybe im even aiming to high for my specs... Are the mid to lower end forks pretty good nowadays? ( rock sektor, judy series etc..)

mtbr member
    I would prefer having a better fork and upgrading the drivetrain at a later time or maybe looking at a lightly used bike with the fork and components you prefer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Upgrades to drivetrains are not all that expensive unless you go XTR or SRAM Red. XT stuff is good and relatively cheap, especially from net sellers. Get a great front suspension and upgrade the drivetrain as money permits. Never look back. After decades of buying bikes, I found you will ride more and have more fun when you are on the bike you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Id say get the best frame, then the best fork first. Wheels would probably be my next higher end expense. SRAM GX is a great working group and cost around a little of $500 for the complete group, Shimano XT probably cost a little more.
    Or...you could buy a complete bike from one of these makers and get a better deal that if you were to build it yourself.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    As a hardtail-only rider I'd say that the most important components are the fork and the rear wheel (hub & rim). I don't care at all about the drivetrain as long as there's enough range and it works.

You definitely want a quality fork to keep your arms fresh and the bike in control, as well as a good hub/rim on the rear to handle the abuse that a trail ht has to live with. I tend to run a beefy carcass tyre on the back for the same reason.

Long dropper post is high on the least too. Your leg "travel" is essentially your rear travel on a ht, so make sure the saddle can drop as low as possible.

Progressive geometry is also extra beneficial on a ht, as the stability from the long wheelbase will help when the rigid rear end starts kicking you around on the rough stuff. Remember that ht's steepen when sagged, so don't be put off by radical head angles.

Check out some of the British offerings if they're available in your market, they have been doing this for a long time. Orange, Cotic, BTR, Whyte, Nukeproof, Ragley, Bird are brands that have refined the hardcore hardtail over the years.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Long and slack
    Dropper
    Get a bike that comes with the tires you like day one and rims to fit. Don't skimp on the tires. I would make sure the frame can run 2.6 or even 2.8 if its 27.5
    Stiff fork and wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks to all the replies it has helped immensley.

Ill take a look at nukeproof they seen somewhat available here in canada. Thank you!

Im still a little confused what a good fork really is i suppose. I mean i unserstand fox floats, rockshock pikes, revelations and higher priced manitous will be best... Are middle range forks still goin to be good long term? ( nukeproof has a sektor rl for example)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unkiind View Post

Ill take a look at nukeproof they seen somewhat available here in canada. Thank you!

Im still a little confused what a good fork really is i suppose. I mean i unserstand fox floats, rockshock pikes, revelations and higher priced manitous will be best... Are middle range forks still goin to be good long term? ( nukeproof has a sektor rl for example)
    The Nukeproof can do XC... actually any bike can so XC.

The Nukeproof wasn't made for XC though.

It's an All Mountain hardtail that can handle really burly trails.

I run an X-Fusion Trace @140mm on my Nukeproof Scout 290.

X-Fusion Trace - 1/3 of the price of say a Pike... /w 95% of the performance.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Formerly of Kent

Hardtail for xc and trail (which components matter most)?

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    The Nukeproof can do XC... actually any bike can so XC.

The Nukeproof wasn't made for XC though.

It's an All Mountain hardtail that can handle really burly trails.

I run an X-Fusion Trace @140mm on my Nukeproof Scout 290.

X-Fusion Trace - 1/3 of the price of say a Pike... /w 95% of the performance.

'Born to ride!'
    ...but not do it remotely well.

But, to each his own.

I’d take a look at an Ibis DV9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    After the frame I would put my money into the fork and wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by unkiind View Post

If it comes down to the money, which it did when I bought a bike a few years back, go for the one with the best frame. Then upgrade as you go along. First the fork. You get great forks at half the price used. I have twice upgraded my fork by bying used. My Revelation RCT3 lightly used cost me less around 300 canadian dollars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Nukeproof and Vitus both make solid hardtails. You can order from Chain Reaction Cycles and they ship fairly quickly, including Canada. I am in the US and have order a few things from them.
    The Nukeproof Comp is right in your price range and comes very well equipped.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod170311
    The Vitus Sentier VRX is also well equipped and in your price range.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod173164

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Commencal meta ht is pretty good value if you’re looking for a complete build.

Building your own bike gets expensive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by castlefield View Post
    Commencal meta ht is pretty good value if you’re looking for a complete build.

Building your own bike gets expensive
    it does indeed. If you pick out a great bike but want to change out a component or two, a great LBS will take off the unwanted part(s) and give you retail or almost retail for the take off parts to offset the upgrades. Not a cool as a complete custom build but better than bike built at a very specific price point.