mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Haggling on a new bikes price - How much is too low?

I'm currently trying to upgrade from a 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight to a 2017 Trance 2. The owner at my LBS said he could work on the price some with me. I was going to try take taxes off, essentially buying the bike for $2500 when the MSRP is $2700. Should I go lower? How close do these bikes sell compared to their MSRP?

mtbr member
    You're not going to get a spectacular deal on a 2017 right now. LBSs are trying to clear out 2016 models. When I bought my bike I was only able to get about 200 off of MSRP, so what he's offering sounds in line.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Depends on a lot of factors. Supply and demand in your area. Relationship with shop... the bro-deal.

I wouldn't expect much of a discount on a newly released bike, but 10% off is fairly typical of my LBS for items on the floor.... depending on demand of course. That's usually their sales pitch.... "you like that one, we'll take an additional 10% off, if you want it"... That's usually their take it or leave it negotiation avoidance tactic.

Sometimes you can negotiate in some free, or heavy discount, on stuff they have in stock - like helmets, bottle cage/bottle, pedals, or gloves... etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    for the past few years I have been buying bikes at one shop and I have now worked my way up to about a 20% discount on bikes - I feel that is likely about the maximum discount.

you should be able to get a discount on accessories for a month or more as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    On a new bike from Giant I'd go for 20 off plus tax. 2160 + tax. Figure the amount and see if he can work with you to get a deal done for that amount. Offer cash and a 60% no refund deposit at the time of the order. Tell him about the deposit details. That protects the shop.
    With 27.5+ coming on strong I'd guess the demand for a 27.5 isn't going to be overwhelming even though it's a good bike and has f+r Boost giving you options for the front at least. You shouldn't have too much trouble making a deal.

Fx1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    in the uk they want full rrp. they can jog on!

Just a flesh wound
    There is a price, negotiated, at which point neither is particularly happy nor upset. That is the best theoretical price. But that price assumes full knowledge of both the past and the best outcome for both in the future.

I don't know that, and I know that business is business, so be happy with your negotiated purchase, and know that the LBS has your back if and when things need to be done. If you have a bit of buyer's remorse, ride the bike and be done with it.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    You're not going to get a spectacular deal on a 2017 right now. LBSs are trying to clear out 2016 models. When I bought my bike I was only able to get about 200 off of MSRP, so what he's offering sounds in line.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    yeah, they're giving away 2016 Trances now. Maybe your LBS is an "early birder"
    that started closing out in June/July which sucks. Call other Giant shops for a 2016 within a 100 mile radius and you'll save some $$ and the drive will be worth it.

unrelated: the guy down the street is a Christmas "early birder" as well. On Christmas Day, mind you, around 1PM, he drags his xmas tree out to the curb for rubbish pick up.
    Cheap people buy things twice