Gooder tires for bike?- Mtbr.com
    Fo' Bidniz in da haus

Gooder tires for bike?

Just got new bike and will ride once rain leaves...

Bike came with good tires, just not sure rolling resistance etc is what I should have plus, they seem a little DH oriented and bike is Enduro and rider is a wuss, so...

Current tires are:

Front Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR
    Rear Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.3 MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR

Rim I think is decent width too, 30.5 mm inner, 34.1 mm outer

Fork can have up to 2.8 but probably overkill for me??

Rear can take 2.5 for sure

now live in Norcal

peace out

aka bOb
    I like the Aggressor better that the DHR or if you looking for a little lighter that rolls really good the new Conti Trail King 2.4's are great all rounders. They run close to 2.5" on 35 inner rims so pretty big.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I like the Aggressor better that the DHR or if you looking for a little lighter that rolls really good the new Conti Trail King 2.4's are great all rounders. They run close to 2.5" on 35 inner rims so pretty big.
    interesting comment, thanks

my friend has the identical bike he is building up this weekend. He went with the Maxxis Rekon 2.6 front, and Aggressor 2.5 rear looking forward to his feedback

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd just ride the tires you have and go from there. If, after you ride them and you find them lacking for whatever reason, you can start to look for tires that meet your specific needs. Maybe you will want something lighter; maybe something more durable; whatever. You also made a good comment. Talk to others running other tires and see what they like/dislike about them. Of course you have to take into account the differences between what their needs are and yours which may be very different.

Try not to get too hung up on the tire width as it is just as important as how they are made. I tend to lean towards more durable vs light as I do not race and don't want to shell out the extra coin on a tire that will only last me one season. I also run tubeless so I want a sturdy sidewall (but not bullet proof).
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta2010 View Post
    I'd just ride the tires you have and go from there. If, after you ride them and you find them lacking for whatever reason, you can start to look for tires that meet your specific needs. Maybe you will want something lighter; maybe something more durable; whatever. You also made a good comment. Talk to others running other tires and see what they like/dislike about them. Of course you have to take into account the differences between what their needs are and yours which may be very different.

Try not to get too hung up on the tire width as it is just as important as how they are made. I tend to lean towards more durable vs light as I do not race and don't want to shell out the extra coin on a tire that will only last me one season. I also run tubeless so I want a sturdy sidewall (but not bullet proof).
    thank, yeah that is where i landed. i guess with all the rain and inability to then ride the new bike, my ADHD and OCD forced me to obsess about something. Now that trails will dry i will indeed simply go out and ride "as is"

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    thank, yeah that is where i landed. i guess with all the rain and inability to then ride the new bike, my ADHD and OCD forced me to obsess about something. Now that trails will dry i will indeed simply go out and ride "as is"
    My bike came with the Minion DHF front / Minion DHR rear this fall, and as someone that has not ridden much the past couple years, these tires had way too much rolling resistance to be a good option for me. I have a Rekon 2.6 on the front right now, and a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the back. The rolling resistance is much better. I'm still slow, but I can ride longer distances faster. In my book, this is something worth obsessing over...

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    My bike came with the Minion DHF front / Minion DHR rear this fall, and as someone that has not ridden much the past couple years, these tires had way too much rolling resistance to be a good option for me. I have a Rekon 2.6 on the front right now, and a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the back. The rolling resistance is much better. I'm still slow, but I can ride longer distances faster. In my book, this is something worth obsessing over...
    are you by any chance related to the original "The Squeaky Wheel" from MTBR? He is an utter ahole and you dont seem like one, but i wanted to confirm.

thanks for post Squeaky

orthonormal
    interesting comment, thanks

my friend has the identical bike he is building up this weekend. He went with the Maxxis Rekon 2.6 front, and Aggressor 2.5 rear looking forward to his feedback
    I'm using the Aggressor as a rear tire on both of my bikes. 29x2.5 on my Fugitive, 29x2.3 on my HT. I really like them a lot overall but they're terrible in the mud. They pack up quickly and don't shed well at all. I'm going to switch to something else until May.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I just put a TK on a 30 inner yeah it's a big 2.4 kinda wish I got 35's now for the front wheel anyway. 🤔
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    GT Carbon Sensor(future...)
    SS Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    are you by any chance related to the original "The Squeaky Wheel" from MTBR? He is an utter ahole and you dont seem like one, but i wanted to confirm.

thanks for post Squeaky
    Nope - different SqueakyWheel altogether. I generally don't run on the ahole side of things, but I do have my moments of crankiness...