mtbr member

Good F/S for youth rider/racer under $2500?

I have a buddy whose son is in 9th grade and has been riding for about 7-8 mos but has really taken to the sport which is awesome. He joined his local high race team and had his first couple races this summer and did really good and loves the sport. He rides a Kona hardtail but they are looking to upgrade to a F/S and I know there are some good deals out there right now with 2018s. The two LBS in our area carry Norco, Orbea, Specialized, and Pivot I believe. He needs to go to some demo days but what are the recommendations for bikes in his price? Average size kid, kinda lanky but his dad is tall so he may grow into some length too.

We ride together all the time and most of our time is spent on technical single track with some climbing but everything is on local trails here in a atlanta.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    27.5 giant anthem. 110 rear 130 front. You can get a really nice hardtail for that money and I would think a 120mm hardtail would be all the bike you need in the South. Hardtail is always going to be lighter so don't just assume it's an upgrade. There are $6k hardtail for a reason. That is a really nice bike. https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/wcs-timberwolf-bike?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqrroysHR3QIVAQBpCh3c6g2-EAQYASABEgIY7PD_BwE#product.info.technical_descrip tion

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Lover View Post
    I have a buddy whose son is in 9th grade and has been riding for about 7-8 mos but has really taken to the sport which is awesome. He joined his local high race team and had his first couple races this summer and did really good and loves the sport. He rides a Kona hardtail but they are looking to upgrade to a F/S and I know there are some good deals out there right now with 2018s. The two LBS in our area carry Norco, Orbea, Specialized, and Pivot I believe. He needs to go to some demo days but what are the recommendations for bikes in his price? Average size kid, kinda lanky but his dad is tall so he may grow into some length too.

We ride together all the time and most of our time is spent on technical single track with some climbing but everything is on local trails here in a atlanta.

Thanks in advance!
    Is he going to get serious with NICA? The thing is there are many types of bikes, many differing philosophies however if one is going to get serious about racing I'd lean towards a race bike. I'd also check out the field and see what the kids on the podium are riding, its proof of success. Why re-write the code when the path is right there to copy?

mtbr member
    It is Nica but something tells me the kids at the top would do well on my 32lb 27.5+! Some of those rascals are f-a-s-t. We had a big race this past weekend and there were a lot of different bikes. Ill definitely tell him to see what others are riding. We love to ride local too so he probably wants something he can race but also go do fun technical stuff too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Also, at the beginning of each season, they usually have a NICA weekend where the local supporting shops will give teams a steep discount. Check with your team's coach to see when that is. Last year some shops in our area (The Path) were giving up to a 40% (ymmv) discount to teams.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Good F/S for youth rider/racer under $2500?

If its NICA stick with a Hardtail unless you want to spend serious dough on a light short travel full suspension ala Specialized Epic, Santa Cruz Blur, Intense Sniper etc etc.

Just doesnt seem at all necessary for NICA courses. Get a super light hard tail and a freshman depending on height could be on a 29r. Mine raced last 2 years on 27.5 now on a 29 as a freshman at 57ish

Hes just gonna have to have 2 bikes is all. A trail bike and an XC race bike.