Go to tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Go to tires

mtbr member

Go to tires

I didnít see this topic anywhere, and thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks. If it is somewhere else, the admins can delete this.

I was just curious what everyoneís favorites are for their rides. My personal favorite is the Continental RaceKing. Iím not a hardcore off roader, but they are quite capable for hard pack and gravel. And, they have low rolling resistance for paved surfaces.

The BMC I just bought had Maxxis Ardent Race tires on it when I bought it. On the test ride, I was actually quite impressed with them, but I already had the Contiís on my custom wheels. I may use the Maxxis when I wear out the current tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yeah, there are in fact numerous threads of this topic.

The basic answer is -everybody likes something different than the other person because they ride on different ground conditions.
    A common selection is DHF / DHR

I for one haven't been let down with my 3rd set of Butcher (f) and Purgatory (r) on my full suspension (stock tires) nor have I had anything too bad to say about the Rekon tires on my 2nd bike (also stock tires).

So there! I answered first, my tires are the best and everybody else should probably switch to what I run.

Edit: I think I'm supposed to says something like your tires are stupid and WOULD NEVER work on the type of terrain I have here in <insert your own state here>.
    Kidding -I believe I have a Trail King on my old bike. I believe I was pretty happy with it when I installed it but it's been like 5 years ago probably (haven't ridden it for 2 years at least, and only a few times in 3 years).

mtbr member
    Yeah, what Forest Rider said. This is where I tell him his tires suck.

My current go to tires for my trail bike are WTB Vigilante on the front, WTB Trail Boss on the rear. I put Kenda Nevegal X Pros on my XC bike. But various models from Kenda, Maxxis, WTB, Geax, Hutchins, etc., have all been my 'favorites of the moment' over the years.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    +1 personal preference / conditions

I live in SoCal (just n. of Los Angles) I'm running 2.6 Minion DHF and 2.5 Aggressor rear on my Trance Advanced 2.. quite pleased with this config here in SoCal.

The bike came with High Roller II's which I didn't love at all (2.35") fairly slow rolling imho.

I have 2.25 Schwalbe nobby nic's on my 29er and I greatly prefer the Minion / Aggressor combo on my 27.5 to these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Go to tires-trance10.jpg  

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I think I'm supposed to says something like your tires are stupid and WOULD NEVER work on the type of terrain I have here in <insert your own state here>.
    My tires are, in fact, quite stupid. And dirty. Therefore, I must punish them often lest they forget their place.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Yeah, what Forest Rider said. This is where I tell him his tires suck.

My current go to tires for my trail bike are WTB Vigilante on the front, WTB Trail Boss on the rear. I put Kenda Nevegal X Pros on my XC bike. But various models from Kenda, Maxxis, WTB, Geax, Hutchins, etc., have all been my 'favorites of the moment' over the years.
    These two are my favorite right now as well. Can't wait to try the Vigilante in a 2.8 on my plus bike as well.

EAT MORE GRIME
    conti trail king. they have a ton of trail, root, off-camber worthiness... yet don't make me suffer too much when riding 7 miles of pavement between stashes either

race kings end up buzzing roots when I am too tired to hop, and making me dab

but yeah... contis....
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    If I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times...

The pre-addix 27.5x2.35 Magic Mary is/was the best front tire going.

Out back...?

Depends what you're after.

If getting loose and speed are your things. A 2.4 WTB Trailboss (<2018) was a solid tire.

Like it a bit greasy? Go a DHRII 2.4 in 3C.

I use to run a Michelin Wild AM 2.35 out back...

Best of both worlds.

Pretty fast down the middle & nice and grippy on the sides.

Sent from my Nokia X6
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My current favorite set up is:
    front: Older WTB Vigilante 2.3 Light / High grip **with transition knobs trimmed**
    rear (dry conditions): WTB Breakout 2.3 Light / Fast rolling
    rear (wet conditions): Hans Dampf 2.3 softer rubber

Trails: primitive single track
    Kona Hei Hei Trail 140mm/140mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Long trail rides (4hr), not super technical, Nobby Nics 2.35 front/2.25 rear. Roll well, ok grip.
    2-3 hr more technical, DHF/DHRII. Slower, but much better grip. Old reliable.

Bike park days: Magic Mary 2.35 Ultra Soft, super Gravity/Rock Razor 2.35 soft, Super gravity. Rolls well, amazing cornering grip in loam or at Northstar.

Magic Mary 2.35, ultra soft, super gravity
    Rock Razor 2.35 soft, super gravity
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade