mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Giant trance suspension upgrade?

Hi there, I have a Giant Trance 27.5 2 2015. Specs Below. I was wondering if it would be with upgrading the fork to a Pike and upgrading the shock to a CC DB Inline, or just buying a new bike altogether. Keep in mind the cheaper the better.
    Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5.5"/140mm Maestro Suspension
    Fork Fox 32 Float CTD Evolution, 140mm travel, 15mm Thru-Axle, OverDrive Tapered Steerer
    Shock Fox CTD Evolution
    COMPONENTS
    Handlebar Giant Contact, Low Rise, 730mm
    Stem Truvativ Holzfeller 45mm
    Seatpost Giant Contact Switch 100mm
    Saddle Giant Contact Upright
    Pedals N/A
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Deore 20 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano SLX
    Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX, Shadow+
    Brakes F/ Shimano Deore M615 203mm R/ Shimano SLX M675 180mm
    Brake Levers F/ Shimano M615 R/ Shimano M675
    Cassette Shimano HG50 11x36
    Chain KMC X10
    Crankset Shimano SLX, 24/38
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit
    WHEELS
    Rims Giant S-XC 27.5
    Hubs Giant S-XC [F] 15mm [R] 135mm QR
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Tires F/ Shwalbe Magic Mary Supergravity R/ Shwalbe Rock Razor Supergravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I put on a used Fox 34 140/160 Factory/Kashima. Worlds better than the 32 120/140 Evo, and slacking the HTA by a degree was great.

Still have the stock rear shock, which is a CTD evo. It is a little harsh at times - esp on fast chattery stuff - but otherwise pretty satisfactory.

What is it you don't like about your current setup?
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

jrm
    mtbr member
    What about having the OE Fox CTD tuned by PUSH or Avalanche to add compression in stead of forking out a who bunch of cash for a new shock?. A 34mm stanchioned fork is a huge improvement. IM really liking my Xfusion Sweep after riding a fox 32 flaot evol.

In addition to the suspension upgrade you might consider putting the bike on a diet by converting the current wheelset to tubeless or investing in a Stans TLR wheelset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The Fox Evo stuff is not very good. It will take one hit ok, but for any successive hits, they fail badly. Fox 34 Factory is better than the Evo, but the 36 RC2 is much much better. Manitou Mattoc is an excellent fork, especially considering the price. Right up there with the 36 RC2 or Pike RC3. XFusion is also good and have heard good things about the Suntour Auron fork as well. For the price it might be a good upgrade option.

On the back the DB Inline is great had one on the bike for a year. Picked up a cheap shock to run while the DB Inline was going to get rebuilt. Fox RP23, I think it was a 2011 or 2012 and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not as good as the DB Inline but way way better than the Evo stuff. I picked one up used for $50. If I didn't have the Inline I would be pretty happy to run it as is. I think the tune on it was Med /Med, the guy I bought it from said it might need a rebuild, I didn't care, as I was only going to run it for a week.

I did have a Monarch Plus RC3 on an older Reign that was pretty good, but would not rate it as great. Maybe they are improved now as lots of people seem to be in favour of them. Pricey though.

Check the used markets for a RP3 or RP23, they will work nicely on the Trance and can be found for real cheap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've always had great results out of a monarch RT3 as a cheaper upgrade to the RC3. I've had both and the average rider probably couldn't pick the difference. Debonair version is smoother on those multiple hits than normal or HV air can version. If your a lighter rider 160lbs or less then you may need a L comp tune. You can upgrade your evo fork to latest fit 4 cartridge. If you don't notice any flex in your current forks then I wouldn't bother upgrading to anything else. Enduro market orientated forks tend to be a bit harsh until pushed hard for general trail riding if your a lightweight. Mattoc may be the exception?

mtbr member
    Check out the trance 3 2016 tread where fork upgrades are discussed.