mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Giant Trance Frame Size and Cockpit Setup

Hey, first-ever post here. I may be breaking some "rules," but, hey, isn't that what life is for?

Anyway, I'm about 5'9" and 1/2 with a 33" inseam (long-legged) and I have a 2018 Giant Trance 3. It has a 17" seat tube length and 24" ETT length. I went with the medium size, as I was kind of in between frame sizes. I just ordered a 20mm rise, 800mm-wide renthal fatbar (35mm diameter) and a 40mm truvativ descendant stem (35mm clamp diameter) to fit the renthal.

Parts should be in this week, and I'm itching. Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this cockpit setup considering I'm on the taller end of the spectrum for the Trance's medium frame. But I do lots of DH and freeriding, as well as tight, flowing singletrack here in the Northeast, so I like the control of the smaller size. However, I also do lots of climbing to earn my DH sections. Just looking for thoughts.

mtbr member
    From 2017 and on, the Trance got a little bit more reach and wheelbase. So 5'9" on medium isn't that out of the ordinary. Anything off, should be correctable with some tweaks to the cockpit.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    From 2017 and on, the Trance got a little bit more reach and wheelbase. So 5'9" on medium isn't that out of the ordinary. Anything off, should be correctable with some tweaks to the cockpit.
    He “is” tweaking it! What’s missing from the OP is what stem/bar combo he’s changing “from”! 🙄
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    He “is” tweaking it! What’s missing from the OP is what stem/bar combo he’s changing “from”! 
    If it's stock, it's 780/50 (no mention of rise that I could find on Giant's website, but it's not flat). So +20mm for the bar and -10mm for the stem. Not a big change overall. I don't know what the goal was here. If OP has long legs that usually means a short torso so a shorter stem makes sense I guess. Shoulder width and arm length are more important and even if they were given I wouldn't know how to interpret that to give an appropriate evaluation.