mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Giant talon 3 2018

Hi everyone,

So I've been mountain biking since Jan of this year and my first bike is the giant talon 3. 27.5

So here's my dilemma. I added a dropper post to the bike and pedals and shorter stem. But now I'm thinking of either buying a better fork or buying a new bike.

I'm no expert but I am already doing some drops and going down Rocky hills at Markham park so I'm worried my bike can't handle them much longer.

I do love my bike because it feels light weight and rather not change it.

What advice can you guys give me? I would also want to add a bigger 8 speed cassette.

Thanks in advance guys! And mtb rules!

Btw I've been looking at a lot of bikes no more then 1300. But most are 29 and I don't know if I like 29"

Bikesexual
    Before you X 29er try one out.

The current bike could be a backup bike.

How about a Plus HT like the Roscoe 8.

Or FS the Marin Hawkhill
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by kjrayo18 View Post
    Hi everyone,

So I've been mountain biking since Jan of this year and my first bike is the giant talon 3. 27.5

So here's my dilemma. I added a dropper post to the bike and pedals and shorter stem. But now I'm thinking of either buying a better fork or buying a new bike.

I'm no expert but I am already doing some drops and going down Rocky hills at Markham park so I'm worried my bike can't handle them much longer.

I do love my bike because it feels light weight and rather not change it.

What advice can you guys give me? I would also want to add a bigger 8 speed cassette.

Thanks in advance guys! And mtb rules!

Btw I've been looking at a lot of bikes no more then 1300. But most are 29 and I don't know if I like 29"

You have a good entry-level bike; mine is basically the same components, just a different brand. Don't give up yet. If you have a Suntour fork you can get a Raidon from their upgrade program for only $200, it will definitely help. It will also take about 1.5 lbs off the front. For a larger cassette, you can get the Sunrace 11-40t and then either a derailleur extender or a 9-speed long-case (SGS) Shimano Alivio rear derailleur (I chose the latter because the extender I bought didn't quite fit).

What front tire sizes have you tried? I assume the stock bike has 27.5 x 2.1 tires; have you upgraded those yet?
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Upgrade your fork to axon with a thru axle and get these wheels.
    https://www.bike24.de/p1110433.html?q=hope%2027.5

That should leave you with about $250 of your $1200 and transform your bike into a $2000 bike. Save the $250 for when parts wear out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi, so I thought about it and can't really spend to much on a bike now so I'm going to upgrade it! And maybe buy a fs in a year or so. So basically I bought the 40tooth cassette which brings the extender. But now I can't decide on the forks. I was looking at
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BF8FDFG..._YfD0BbDWCGA89

Or SR Suntour XCR Air LO-R Suspension Fork: 27.5", 1-1/8" Threadless Steerer, 100mm Travel, 100x9mm, Disc, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYW42C8..._xoD0Bb4FJTXWH

About the program you speak of. I've had my bike for 10 months I can still do it? I mean my fork doesn't look new lol!

And the tires are the stock ones but tubeless. I do wish I had some better ones because on climbs sometimes they slip. Ateast the back one does. Do you know if I can add wider ones? If so can you recommend me one thanks again for all your help
    Last edited by kjrayo18; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:17 AM. Reason: Tires

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi, so I thought about it and can't really spend to much on a bike now so I'm going to upgrade it! And maybe buy a fs in a year or so. So basically I bought the 40tooth cassette which brings the extender. But now I can't decide on the forks. I was looking at
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BF8FDFG..._YfD0BbDWCGA89

Or SR Suntour XCR Air LO-R Suspension Fork: 27.5", 1-1/8" Threadless Steerer, 100mm Travel, 100x9mm, Disc, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYW42C8..._xoD0Bb4FJTXWH

About the program you speak of. I've had my bike for 10 months I can still do it? I mean my fork doesn't look new lol!
    The frame is a good frame. Upgrade your fork to the axon. You can still do that. Suntour has like a customer loyalty discount program.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Definitely going to upgrade to the axon! Already sent the email lol. One last thing. Do you know if I can get bigger tires on my rims? Maybe 2.4? Thanks in advance for all your help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Definitely going to upgrade to the axon! Already sent the email lol. One last thing. Do you know if I can get bigger tires on my rims? Maybe 2.4? Thanks in advance for all your help!
    I would run the 2.2 ikon in the rear until they are worn out, they are actually great back tires. Then ask your local bike shop for a front steering tire. You should be able to fit a 2.4 ardent, 2.3 dhr2, 2.35 hans dampf, or ect on the front tire. I would guess a 2.3 tire would fit in the back and possibly a 2.4 but I really don't know. I know some of those bikes came with 2.25 ardents in the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks for all your help! Says the fork arrives Thursday, and the cassette this sat. Total was 230 not bad let's see how much my shop charges me he's not to bad so I'm guessing under 100

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Which Axon fork did you go with for around $200. Is it on the Suntour site? Im debating on upgrading my fork on my 2018 Spec Pitch over the winter but im stuck on what to truly go with, RockShox or Suntour Upgrade option.
    2018 Specialized Pitch Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi, yea for the 230 with the quick lock out