Giant Stance 2 forks not holding pressure?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Giant Stance 2 forks not holding pressure?

Hey fellow bikers. Im new here and new to full suspension setups.
    I recently got a giant stance 2. Iabout a week ago)
    Have about 25 miles on it so far.
    After doing some riding I noticed that the front forks are sitting lower than it was and I can bottom out the front easily.

Also when I use the lockout is the front supposed to be completley stiff or will it still give with enough force? Because I can press it down with the lockout on.

They set it up for my weight when I bought it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sounds like you should add more air to the fork. They may have set it up just for your weight, but your riding style matters, too. You should get a shock pump if you don't have one. Check the air pressure before rides see if the fork is holding air.

I don't know about the lockout feature, others here might, or check witht he shop where you bought it.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Forks on bikes are not usually proprietary, so the brand and model of fork would be very useful in diagnosing any problem. (There is no "Giant Stance 2 fork" on the market.) Also, no need to add "front" to "forks" because there is no such thing as a back fork (unless you have an early 90s Manitou or Marin). Did your bike not come with manuals explaining the features and operation of your suspension? Most "lock outs" don't completely stiffen the corresponding suspension unit.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Giant stance 2
    RockShox 30 Gold Solo Air w/ OverDrive steerer, lockout, 120mm travel

Specs
    Stance 27.5 2 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey raw-dog,

My wife also rides the Stance 2.0 and I can hopefully answer a couple questions for you. Definitely check your air pressure on the fork. If you notice there are 2 sets of instructions on the fork, make sure you are using the air pressure for the 100mm-120mm option as it is different than the other 80mm option. (bottom most chart on left leg) If you do not have a shock pump, please invest in one as you will need it frequently to check your front and back air pressures. Also, make sure you are airing up your fork for your full riding weight, not your walk around weight (full gear, full hydration pack[if you use one] etc.) otherwise, you will not be putting enough air into your suspension.

For the lockout, yes its supposed to be very firm with a couple millimeters of travel while engaged. That being said,however, its does have a blowoff should you accidentally leave it engaged as a safety precaution. This will require your fork to need service from what i recall, as you will need to replace a seal.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by raw-dog View Post
    Hey fellow bikers. Im new here and new to full suspension setups.
    I recently got a giant stance 2. Iabout a week ago)
    Have about 25 miles on it so far.
    After doing some riding I noticed that the front forks are sitting lower than it was and I can bottom out the front easily.

Also when I use the lockout is the front supposed to be completley stiff or will it still give with enough force? Because I can press it down with the lockout on.

They set it up for my weight when I bought it.

Thanks!
    This may have been mentioned here but I saw in some other threads about these forks having some problems and were corrected under warranty. Check in with your Giant dealer they should get you fixed up if it's that, and not just your air pressure being low.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    i feel like shock pressure shouldnt drop from just 20 miles of street riding.... Hopefully they arent messed up but if so I hope they get fixed under warranty.

Ill get a shock pump.. Any suggestions

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Rockshox makes a decent one, and currently Jenson has it on sale Rockshox High Pressure Fork & Shock Pump > Accessories > Inflation > Shock Pumps | Jenson USA.

while not drastic, pressure can change based on temperature. if it was warm where you filled up the fork, but cold while riding it, the pressure can drop a couple psi, but it certainly shouldn't be noticeable.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ended up ordering a fox one from amazon along with a trainer. Its almost getting too hot too ride

mtbr member
    Make sure the schrader valve on the top side of the fork isn't stuck ever so slightly open allow small amounts of air to escape. We notice it on my Anthem advanced with its Reba RL. It's not uncommon for the forks and/or rear shock to lose air. Over the course of a week or so, my Reba and/or Fox Talas will lose about 10 psi. It is never too hot to ride.
    2018 Pivot Firebird 29
    2018 Pivot Mach 6 Carbon
    2019 Pivot Vault

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealtharsenal1 View Post
    Make sure the schrader valve on the top side of the fork isn't stuck ever so slightly open allow small amounts of air to escape. We notice it on my Anthem advanced with its Reba RL. It's not uncommon for the forks and/or rear shock to lose air. Over the course of a week or so, my Reba and/or Fox Talas will lose about 10 psi. It is never too hot to ride.
    Good call on shrader valve. Thinking back on seeing warranty problems with the RS forks on the 1&2 models it was fluid seals leaking that were the culprits I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @Jmac, you would be correct. Both of those fork issues were reported by me. The Stance 1 had the dust seals pop off while riding, and the Stance 2 had an internal seal unseat and rotate.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by malicefox View Post
    @Jmac, you would be correct. Both of those fork issues were reported by me. The Stance 1 had the dust seals pop off while riding, and the Stance 2 had an internal seal unseat and rotate.
    Bingo