Giant Stance 1 vs Marin Hawk Hill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Giant Stance 1 vs Marin Hawk Hill

As of right now, Giant just released a summer sale putting the Giant Stance 1 on sale from $1900 down to $1500. At the same time, Marin has released details for their full suspension Hawk Hill 27.5 with an MSRP of $1500.

At the $1500 price for both, which bike would you get?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications

http://www.marinbikes.com/us/blog/th...-the-hawk-hill

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am actually looking at both of these bikes myself. I'd go with the hawk hill because the frame can accept a 142x12 rear axle, has a threaded BB, comes stock set up 1x with a wider range cassette, wider tires and rims, and has internal cable routing. The only problem is the hawk hill won't be released for another year and the stance you could buy today. For a little bit more money you should also look at the specialized camber.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    why buy a mountain bike with the namesake of one of the most anti-mountain biking communities on the planet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Marin was also the birth place of mountain biking. Repack downhill, gary fisher and all those old guys. Im pretty sure they took the companies name from that, not because marin is full of ***** these days

Its a good, legitimate company. Its worth test riding both bikes.

mtbr member
    Names and paint aside =) what bike do you prefer including geometry specs. I don't see in what way the Giant beats the Hawk Hill. Both bikes have same warranties as well from the manufactures don't they?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by srsiri23w View Post
    I am actually looking at both of these bikes myself. I'd go with the hawk hill because the frame can accept a 142x12 rear axle, has a threaded BB, comes stock set up 1x with a wider range cassette, wider tires and rims, and has internal cable routing. The only problem is the hawk hill won't be released for another year and the stance you could buy today. For a little bit more money you should also look at the specialized camber.
    I talked to Marin today, and pointed out that they had a typo for August 2017. They plan on having the bike August 2016 not 2017 =)

My problem is no bike store in Louisville carries Marin...

mtbr member
    Marin has a 142 rear end and is half a degree slacker. Its more favorable to me, but not really a big deal either way.

I like the threaded bb too, and stock wide range 1x. That's impressive at that price. The suspension is low end on both and id be rushing out to replace it on both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Marin was also the birth place of mountain biking. Repack downhill, gary fisher and all those old guys. Im pretty sure they took the companies name from that, not because marin is full of ***** these days

Its a good, legitimate company. Its worth test riding both bikes.
    Yeah, I agree with you that they took the name from when mountain biking started, but I think today the name is as dated as they bikes they have been pushing out for the past decade. Maybe with the new onwers it comes back, but ten years prior to the new ownership is was a dead-brand walking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    why buy a mountain bike with the namesake of one of the most anti-mountain biking communities on the planet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could you please explain to me how buying a Marin bike helps the anti-biking community since that appears to be what you're alluding to?

I'm rather curious about that.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Could you please explain to me how buying a Marin bike helps the anti-biking community since that appears to be what you're alluding to?

I'm rather curious about that.
    i am not saying they help the mountain biking community, but that there name has no relevance as does their brand and the owners apparently think it still has some assocation with mountain biking, which it doesn't today.

mtbr member
    i am not saying they help the mountain biking community, but that there name has no relevance as does their brand and the owners apparently think it still has some assocation with mountain biking, which it doesn't today.
    You're confusing the hell out of me.

The owners think the brand has some association with mountain biking, but it doesn't today? Wouldn't making mountain bikes be, you know, an association with mountain biking?

I'm getting a headache.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    You're confusing the hell out of me.

The owners think the brand has some association with mountain biking, but it doesn't today? Wouldn't making mountain bikes be, you know, an association with mountain biking?

I'm getting a headache.
    yes, I had some typos above.

the owners think the brand has current association with mountain biking when the opposite is true today. to me it is a reflection of how outdated the Marin brand has been for many years. they would have been better off changing the name when they took over, just my opinion.

it's a public forum and the guy asked for an opinion. if the brand means little or nothing to the guy then it isn't an issue.

mtbr member
    yes, I had some typos above.

the owners think the brand has current association with mountain biking when the opposite is true today. to me it is a reflection of how outdated the Marin brand has been for many years. they would have been better off changing the name when they took over, just my opinion.

it's a public forum and the guy asked for an opinion. if the brand means little or nothing to the guy then it isn't an issue.
    Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

mtbr member
    The only real difference I can see is, 1x10 or 2x10 everything else is about the same.
    Of course without test rides no way to tell how they actually feel.

I have a Stance and it is a great bike, I love the way it feels. So I would say the Stance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    The only real difference I can see is, 1x10 or 2x10 everything else is about the same.
    I'm guessing you probably just looked at the pictures because there are a lot more differences than just the drivetrain.
    I'm wondering if the hawk hill comes tubeless ready? From what I've seen the rear brake cable is external and the rear mech cable is internal and comes out under the down tube around the BB? Also, I wonder what putting a 130mm fork on this bike would do?

mtbr member
    I'm guessing you probably just looked at the pictures because there are a lot more differences than just the drivetrain.
    I'm wondering if the hawk hill comes tubeless ready? From what I've seen the rear brake cable is external and the rear mech cable is internal and comes out under the down tube around the BB? Also, I wonder what putting a 130mm fork on this bike would do?
    It would probably ride pretty well as-is. It looks to have wider rims and pretty decent tires. In my opinion, I think that the linkage in the rear triangle on the Hawk Hill would hold up better than the flex stay system on the Giant.

I'd guess that a 130 fork on it would be pretty nice. I can't see much downside to doing that.

mtbr member
    The flexing members work surprisingly well. It does look sketchy, but it works. I wouldn't worry, giant has a great warranty too.

They are pretty similar bikes. There's not big differences. It could come down to how much you mind 135 vs 142 dropouts.

mtbr member
    No I didn't just look at the Effing pictures. And they are very similar in quality. for that matter if you want to get picky, all routing on the Stance is external, but so what it still works fine, and actually there are no brake cables, seeing as both bikes have hydraulic brakes. The only thing I could not tell about the Marin is whether it has an ISCG standard frame, Giant Stance doesn't but the Giant Trance does. But also not a big deal, instead of putting a frame mount bash guard and chain guide on my Stance when I converted it to 1x I used a bash ring, and clamp on chain guide.

mtbr member
    Another factor is that the Giant has the overdrive steerer tube which may complicate potential fork upgrades. However, it does appear to have a bit better suspension components than the Marin. Either bike is quite a good value.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I bought a Stance for my wife.. I rode it at times as well and neither of us were big fans. It's a decent entry level bike, but the suspension (both front and the flex stay design out back) just felt a bit unrefined imo. The bike definitely has an xc feel to it if that's what you like. We sold the Giant and bought her a carbon Stumpy. Anyway, that Marin looks like an excellent bike for that price. 1x10 with 42, wide wheels, nice geometry etc. I'd test the Stance and see how/where you could test the Hawk when it's released. I think dirtmountainbike.com has a basic, first impression review on it..sounds very promising.

mtbr member
    The quality of suspension on any $1500 bike is going to be about the same.

The overdrive steerer is in the fork. Its a standard frame that you can use any fork in. You just replace the top headset. Not an issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Totally off topic here so apologies are in order. Having said that, can someone tell me what this is (circled in red) on my new Giant Anthem Advanced SX? This is my first FS bike.
    thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Stance 1 vs Marin Hawk Hill-img_7262.jpg  

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Totally off topic here so apologies are in order. Having said that, can someone tell me what this is (circled in red) on my new Giant Anthem Advanced SX? This is my first FS bike.
    thanks!
    For a direct mount front derailleur.