Front Suspension for 27.5 Surly Troll suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Front Suspension for 27.5 Surly Troll suggestions

Hi Forum.
    I'm after your suggestion for a front suspension to fit a Surly Troll , with a 1 - 1/8 size and 27.5 wheel size.

Happy to spend up to $700 usd, ride most xc trails and using 30mm wide or so rims.

It seems.hard to find a front suspension that fits this bike frame.

Just a question;

Would it be ok to use a different sized front suspension fork? Say 29er.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers
    Last edited by Muzzag; 02-13-2016 at 03:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hello-

I am surprised to not see any responses to your question Muzzag. I have a 2012 Troll, and have used 26" wheels and Rockshox suspension forks for a few years, worked great.

Recently, I purchased a set of 27.5" wheels and am now looking for a new set of suspension forks.

My concern has been that with the 27.5 wheels and suspension forks (100 or 120 mm travel) it will alter the geometry. Have talked to a couple of LBS' and they believe it would work but I have not been able to find anyone that has actually done this and can confirm it works well.

Anyone out there to give suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I used a 26" Psylo fork on mine. Worked well! Plenty of room for 27.5x2.4's on 35mm rims. U-turn ones like I had could adjust travel from 80-120mm.

I sold this bike over 2 years ago, but sometimes I miss it!

Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmanpdx View Post
    Hello-

I am surprised to not see any responses to your question Muzzag. I have a 2012 Troll, and have used 26" wheels and Rockshox suspension forks for a few years, worked great.

Recently, I purchased a set of 27.5" wheels and am now looking for a new set of suspension forks.

My concern has been that with the 27.5 wheels and suspension forks (100 or 120 mm travel) it will alter the geometry. Have talked to a couple of LBS' and they believe it would work but I have not been able to find anyone that has actually done this and can confirm it works well.

Anyone out there to give suggestions?
    Hi, just saw this message. I have a '17 Surly Troll (non suspension corrected - unlike the purple bike in previous reply, see photo attached) and have just installed a suntour raidon hydraulic fork on it with 100mm travel. It works great! changes the geometry a little but all for the better for mountainbike riding as far as I can tell.

After doing a bit of research, I found two conflicting bits of advice on this: surly mention that putting in a fork longer than the 42cm that the original is by design voids your warranty. and this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXO8annyNvU) which seems to say that XC/hardtail bikes are commonly equipped with a 70 head tube angle, and trail bikes are in the range 65-68.

The troll has a 71 head tube angle with the original fork, which comes down to 67 with the Suntour raidon 100mm travel fork (~50cm axle to crown) that I sometimes put on it - and it feels fine that way. If you're afraid of too much difference in riding behaviour, there's forks with less offset (some (heavy) RST forks have 5 or 8mm travel like this one: https://www.bike24.com/p2160841.html, the very expensive Fox 32 AX Float SC 44 mm XC fork, or the Rockshox paragon air). it might actually be easier to find an old fork that fits at a local bike shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension for 27.5 Surly Troll suggestions-20190624_171205.jpg  

Last edited by cjobim; 06-24-2019 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cjobim View Post
    Hi, just saw this message. I have a '17 Surly Troll (non suspension corrected - unlike the purple bike in previous reply, see photo attached) and have just installed a suntour raidon hydraulic fork on it with 100mm travel. It works great! changes the geometry a little but all for the better for mountainbike riding as far as I can tell.

After doing a bit of research, I found two conflicting bits of advice on this: surly mention that putting in a fork longer than the 42cm that the original is by design voids your warranty. and this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXO8annyNvU) which seems to say that XC/hardtail bikes are commonly equipped with a 70 head tube angle, and trail bikes are in the range 65-68.

The troll has a 71 head tube angle with the original fork, which comes down to 67 with the Suntour raidon 100mm travel fork (~50cm axle to crown) that I sometimes put on it - and it feels fine that way. If you're afraid of too much difference in riding behaviour, there's forks with less offset (some (heavy) RST forks have 5 or 8mm travel like this one: https://www.bike24.com/p2160841.html, the very expensive Fox 32 AX Float SC 44 mm XC fork, or the Rockshox paragon air). it might actually be easier to find an old fork that fits at a local bike shop.
    Follow-up: I asked around about the safety of doing this and there seems to be a consensus that you shouldn't modify the axle to crown height of the original fork by more than 2cm - here by putting in a raidon with 100mm, that distance shoots from 42cm to 49, which is borderline unsafe apparently - I've been told to watch it and avoid big jumps and monitor the frame reinforcements etc... but so far so good. it's definitely not recommended but there aren't too many options if you have 27.5" wheels like me - easier with 26" wheels, you can find a fork that fits roughly (with 80mm displacement preferably).