mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Front Suspension for 27.5 Surly Troll suggestions

Hi Forum.
    I'm after your suggestion for a front suspension to fit a Surly Troll , with a 1 - 1/8 size and 27.5 wheel size.

Happy to spend up to $700 usd, ride most xc trails and using 30mm wide or so rims.

It seems.hard to find a front suspension that fits this bike frame.

Just a question;

Would it be ok to use a different sized front suspension fork? Say 29er.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers
    Last edited by Muzzag; 02-13-2016 at 03:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hello-

I am surprised to not see any responses to your question Muzzag. I have a 2012 Troll, and have used 26" wheels and Rockshox suspension forks for a few years, worked great.

Recently, I purchased a set of 27.5" wheels and am now looking for a new set of suspension forks.

My concern has been that with the 27.5 wheels and suspension forks (100 or 120 mm travel) it will alter the geometry. Have talked to a couple of LBS' and they believe it would work but I have not been able to find anyone that has actually done this and can confirm it works well.

Anyone out there to give suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I used a 26" Psylo fork on mine. Worked well! Plenty of room for 27.5x2.4's on 35mm rims. U-turn ones like I had could adjust travel from 80-120mm.

I sold this bike over 2 years ago, but sometimes I miss it!

Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmanpdx View Post
    Hello-

I am surprised to not see any responses to your question Muzzag. I have a 2012 Troll, and have used 26" wheels and Rockshox suspension forks for a few years, worked great.

Recently, I purchased a set of 27.5" wheels and am now looking for a new set of suspension forks.

My concern has been that with the 27.5 wheels and suspension forks (100 or 120 mm travel) it will alter the geometry. Have talked to a couple of LBS' and they believe it would work but I have not been able to find anyone that has actually done this and can confirm it works well.

Anyone out there to give suggestions?
    Hi, just saw this message. I have a '17 Surly Troll (non suspension corrected) and have just installed a suntour raidon hydraulic fork on it. It works great! changes the geometry a little but nothing problematic as far as I can tell. Just one thing is your front disc brake should be at least 180mm to fit properly - I have a 160mm diameter one at the moment and it's only braking on 2/3 of the disc's surface - can be corrected on the surly fork but not with the raidon.