mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Which Fox Fork will 650B?

I recall seeing in one of the threads someone (probably Kirk) was able to just barely fit a 650B wheel in a Fox Fork. I can't search for "fox" so it is hard to locate.

Can anyone report if there is particular year or version of Fox Fork can fit the 650B wheel and tire?

It would be useful to have a location on the net that keeps track of what 26er frames and forks are 650B friendly? There must be more than the Surly 1x1.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by tbowren
    I recall seeing in one of the threads someone (probably Kirk) was able to just barely fit a 650B wheel in a Fox Fork. I can't search for "fox" so it is hard to locate.

Can anyone report if there is particular year or version of Fox Fork can fit the 650B wheel and tire?

It would be useful to have a location on the net that keeps track of what 26er frames and forks are 650B friendly? There must be more than the Surly 1x1.

To the best of my knowledge all current Fox forks will accept my 650b tire with about 7mm of clearance. The X-Fusion"Velvet R" fits the tire with gobs of clearance at about half the price of the Fox. The Maverick forks would also work with a modified travel reduction kit about half the length of the "29er" kit, the Lefty and U.S.E. "SUB" for would also work with some minor modifications.

More here: http://650bpalace.blogspot.com/

As for frames, there are likely dozens that could potentioally work for conversions. The Heckler, Rush, Prophet, XAM, and problably quite a few others would work very well.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by tbowren

The 2007 Fox F80 I used on my 1x1 conversion actually looks like it has more clearance than the WB 100mm IMV does on my 29er, by a mm or two. Maybe I'll try to get a picture of them side by side one day.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

Manitou Minute?

I have a SC Heckler with a Minute One fork. I am interested in trying out 650b but don't know if it will fit up front. Any thoughts?
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

650 b rim choices

Kirk,

I notice on your blog site http://650bpalace.blogspot.com/ that the tire cross section references a rim which is 18 mm in width. Is the rim and ERD noted that of the Velocity Synergy 650 b rim?

If so how does this rim compare with the cross section of the Neo Moto when mounted to the Velocity Blunt rim (28 mm) wide?

Finally, do you know the weight difference between the Velocity Synergy 650b rim and the Blunt(at 480 gms) ?

Expert Crasher
    I'm fairly confident it would fit just fine on a 2007 32 TALAS. Below is a pic of the clearance on my 07 32 TALAS R with a 2.25 Schwalbe Albert.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by trail topher
    I have a SC Heckler with a Minute One fork. I am interested in trying out 650b but don't know if it will fit up front. Any thoughts?

I don't think it will fit in the Manitou fork... I have a "Black" here and the tire hits the arch before the axle gets anywhere near the drop out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    I don't think it will fit in the Manitou fork... I have a "Black" here and the tire hits the arch before the axle gets anywhere near the drop out.
    Damn them and their lack of foresight into an obscure 3rd standard! Actually, damn 650b for being a third* to begin with.

*Reference to the book Ender's Game, which is fitting as almost nobody knows about it. Oh, and if you can't pick up on the sarcasm here's the obligatory "j/k" for the believers in the crowd.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Other 650B tires avail?

Kirk, I tought I heard you had three tires coming out: Neo-Moto, a 52mm Marathon tire, and a narrower 40mm Cross tire. Is this true? Do the sknnier tires fit different forks? I was thinking about something skinnier maybe even 1.95 for my racing XC machine.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Yes,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Riding for Sanity
    Kirk, I tought I heard you had three tires coming out: Neo-Moto, a 52mm Marathon tire, and a narrower 40mm Cross tire. Is this true? Do the sknnier tires fit different forks? I was thinking about something skinnier maybe even 1.95 for my racing XC machine.

I do, but these things take a long time to develop.

The current tire, the Neo-Moto is available now directly from me. By Jan / Feb it should be available through every major US distributor to every LBS in the country.

The "Quasi-Moto" is my next tire. It's a 2.0" semi knob racing tire. The samples should be ready in March with production tires landing in June / July.

Shortly after that will come the "Mini-Moto" a 43mm knobby for use with the worlds millions of existing 650b bikes. This tire will work perfectly with bikes like the Rivendell Bleriot, Suluki and Glorious, as well as the Kogswell and Rawland bikes.

Some time down the road I will do the "Muddy-Moto" wet condition tire too.

Maaaaan
    I don't plan on switching over to a 650 setup, but I think you guys might be interested to know, that the 06 130mm Minute Twos have gobs of clearance. I have a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 mounted in a 06 Minute Two and there is still about a half inch of clearance between the tire and arch.
    These by the way, are good forks, although I don't know if you can still get them by mail order. I purchased mine at Pricepoint and I know Jenson used to carry them.

Later, Eric.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks Kirk, or Mr. GrandMaster Pacenti. Keep us posted on the new tires!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I don't plan on switching over to a 650 setup, but I think you guys might be interested to know, that the 06 130mm Minute Twos have gobs of clearance. I have a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 mounted in a 06 Minute Two and there is still about a half inch of clearance between the tire and arch.
    These by the way, are good forks, although I don't know if you can still get them by mail order. I purchased mine at Pricepoint and I know Jenson used to carry them.

Later, Eric.
    I measured that Maxxis with a radius of 344mm. The Neo-Moto is 352mm.

If you have a full 1/2" (13mm) that leaves just 5mm of clearance. Manitou says 8.5mm is the minimum for safe operation.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I measured that Maxxis with a radius of 344mm. The Neo-Moto is 352mm.

If you have a full 1/2" (13mm) that leaves just 5mm of clearance. Manitou says 8.5mm is the minimum for safe operation.
    Yep, I just measured mine and came up with 343mm which is close enough. It's also a brand new tire with no wear. It's also one of the larger tires on the market.
    Some of the fork makers say you can run a little less clearance than my Manitou, but even with 13mm clearance, I get significant numbers of rock jams here in the desert.
    Something for potential experimenters to think about.

Hmmmmmm.

Later, Eric.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    To the best of my knowledge all current Fox forks will accept my 650b tire with about 7mm of clearance. The X-Fusion"Velvet R" fits the tire with gobs of clearance at about half the price of the Fox. The Maverick forks would also work with a modified travel reduction kit about half the length of the "29er" kit, the Lefty and U.S.E. "SUB" for would also work with some minor modifications.

More here: http://650bpalace.blogspot.com/

As for frames, there are likely dozens that could potentioally work for conversions. The Heckler, Rush, Prophet, XAM, and problably quite a few others would work very well.
    Hey Kirk which generation Heckler are you talking about ?
    This can be great, just get the frame and build it with the 650b, I really like the Hecklers and to convert it with bigger wheels ... maybe this is what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Has anyone had any experience with the older variety (the ones with canti mounts) Fox forks? I've got a rigid fork that I know will clear the 650b, but I'd like to run a sus. fork (and the Fox is all I've got).
    -Sean

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

older fox forks

i just got back from a ride on a converted kona unit with neo-motos and what is i think a 2004/05 fox vanilla. the tire has penty of clearance in the fork, and barely fits with the rear wheel jammed forward, so if youve got a good gear ratio and can slide it back a tiny bit, there is no problem.
    summary: neo-moto fits older fox models!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter
    Thanks, this is what I was hoping.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    i just got back from a ride on a converted kona unit with neo-motos and what is i think a 2004/05 fox vanilla. the tire has penty of clearance in the fork, and barely fits with the rear wheel jammed forward, so if youve got a good gear ratio and can slide it back a tiny bit, there is no problem.

PBB,

PICTURES!

Steel and teeth.
    PBB,

PICTURES!
    Ditto!

bb

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

old fox + neo moto

here it is! photographic documentation! the "conversion" was painless, there were no issues whatsoever

on a side note, the rims are sun cr18 from velo orange, and the tires fit with little trouble. there are easier combinations, but there are many more difficult combos too, which was a surprise considering velo orange says that it can be tough to get tires on these rims.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steel and teeth.
    here it is! photographic documentation! the "conversion" was painless, there were no issues whatsoever

on a side note, the rims are sun cr18 from velo orange, and the tires fit with little trouble. there are easier combinations, but there are many more difficult combos too, which was a surprise considering velo orange says that it can be tough to get tires on these rims.
    WOW! Thanks for the photo!

bb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    but even with 13mm clearance, I get significant numbers of rock jams here in the desert.
    Not sure if you're still reading this thread, but by rock jam do you just mean rocks getting carried up into the arch (causing some chipping and crunching), or actually getting a front wheel lockup due to rocks jammed between the tire and arch?

-Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0