Thread: Fox Fork

wallyman
    Nov 2008

Smile Fox Fork

It say's on Fox's web site that they don't like a wheel size bigger than 27" in a 26er fork. They give no reason as to why they have this rule. I see 29er's with about a 1/2 inch of space between the wheel and fork loop,does anyone know the reason. I have a 26er fox fork that has a 650b and it has about 1/2" clearance of fork loop.

nothing relevant to say
    rebel.

wallyman
    Nov 2008
    I don't see where these links give me any information ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's not the fork brace that's the problem. I can buzz the crowns with tire if I bottom my F32 and Floats.

wallyman
    Nov 2008

bottom out

Can the forks be fixed so they won't bottom out ?

mtbr member
    Yes, by running them at their recommended air pressure

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    So true!

If you're really worried install a 5mm shim in the fork and forget about it.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member
    As you know a fat 26" tire gives a wheel with the same outside diameter as larger wheel sizes with lower-volume tires.

Thus this rule seems a bit arbitrary.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    Can the forks be fixed so they won't bottom out ?
    Add more oil above air piston to make them more progressive, or more air pressure, or wear ear plugs and ignore it.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 01-26-2012 at 06:52 PM.

wallyman
    Nov 2008

New question here. fox fork running 650B

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    So you think the real reason they(fox) don't want you to run 650b in a 26" fork is that most people don't run enough air pressure ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Simple answer. There is not enough crown clearance if you bottom your forks. No mfg is going to endorse that. It's not a show stopper with current 650B tires, just makes lots of noise. But they need a set clearance to pass the red tape for EU type testing. When and if 650b tires get bigger than it is a problem.
    No one I know of ever uses the recommended air pressure. Wouldn't be surprised, if like tires, it's some pressure nominated for some rating or standard that has nothing to do with what actually works best.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    So you think the real reason they(fox) don't want you to run 650b in a 26" fork is that most people don't run enough air pressure ?
    gvs_nz is right on the money with that simple answer.

What made me laugh above was nobody ever gets full travel from a Fox fork using std. recommended pressure unless maybe your a clyde. Most run em below and still don't get full travel. Perhaps the new ones have gotten a bit better but I still read about people having this problem.

I could be wrong but I think the yet to be released 34mm Fox fork is 26/650B compatable using the same lowers. Like the White Brothers Loop and X Fusion forks.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

wallyman
    Nov 2008

Smile Crown

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Simple answer. There is not enough crown clearance if you bottom your forks. No mfg is going to endorse that. It's not a show stopper with current 650B tires, just makes lots of noise. But they need a set clearance to pass the red tape for EU type testing. When and if 650b tires get bigger than it is a problem.
    No one I know of ever uses the recommended air pressure. Wouldn't be surprised, if like tires, it's some pressure nominated for some rating or standard that has nothing to do with what actually works best.
    Thanks for your help.The tires are WTB,they measure 28" with 30lbs. I think the WTB tire is taller than most. I measured some 29"er in a bike shop and they measured anywhere from 29.5" to 30.5".

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I''ve said it before in other threads, I have physically measured a F80X fork going 1mm past its rated 80mm travel (with practically no air in it, so I didn't need to be riding it at the time) with a Neo-Moto 2.35 tire under it and the tire is very noticeably making buzzing noises. Its not a light buzz...its a solid heavy buzz. Some people might want to risk their teeth on such a fork/tire clearance because once you buzz, there's no margin of error for something else stuck on the tire (say a rock wedged between the blocks) jamming the wheel.

I'm not sure why it is that Fox owners doing 650B conversions by and large refuse to just do what X-Fusion does with their 650B compatible forks... run a compression limiter that limits the maximum wheel travel) if they're insisting on running the fatest tires available in the size currently. Its not like its that hard to take the fork apart to do it.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0