Fork upgrade £500 budget from a RS Recon. Please Help.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020

Fork upgrade £500 budget from a RS Recon. Please Help.

Recently bought a 2019 Calibre Bossnut, upgrading from a low end hardtail, and I was expecting a much smoother ride on the front suspension than what the Rockshox Recon RL has to offer.
    A friend of mine has talked me into getting a new fork and given he rides enduro, downhill and I ride trail centres and all mountain he can't give me much advice on what to look at.
    I've spotted some RS Pikes and Yaris for around that price mark and also a Manitou Mattoc Pro I'd just like some help with my dilema please and thank you.

PS. I want more travel, currently running 130mm. 140-150mm should be perfect as I also eventually want to ride some more aggressive stuff.

mtbr member
    How much is that in Euros?

Just kidding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshezpz View Post
    Recently bought a 2019 Calibre Bossnut, upgrading from a low end hardtail, and I was expecting a much smoother ride on the front suspension than what the Rockshox Recon RL has to offer.
    A friend of mine has talked me into getting a new fork and given he rides enduro, downhill and I ride trail centres and all mountain he can't give me much advice on what to look at.
    I've spotted some RS Pikes and Yaris for around that price mark and also a Manitou Mattoc Pro I'd just like some help with my dilema please and thank you.

PS. I want more travel, currently running 130mm. 140-150mm should be perfect as I also eventually want to ride some more aggressive stuff.

Do you know how to service a fork? If the answer is yes or if you donít mind learning I can help you build a cheap and efficient fork for your bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Thank you for replying!
    I have never serviced a set of forks nor have I stripped and rebuilt a set but I'm a car mechanic by trade so it shouldnt be too difficult for me, right? 😂

I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Thank you for replying!
    I have never serviced a set of forks nor have I stripped and rebuilt a set but I'm a car mechanic by trade so it shouldnt be too difficult for me, right?

I'm all ears.
    Cool! It's going to be super easy for you then

Donít push the travel too much or itís going to change the geo too much! so 140 instead of 130 is good.

Is your actual fork boost? If youíre not sure get the serial number behind the crown and do a search on https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/

Edit: 140 instead of 130!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Haha well I hope so! No it isn't boost, I believe the measurement is 15x100mm.

So you think 140mm is maximum travel without noticing too much difference in handling?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Haha well I hope so! No it isn't boost, I believe the measurement is 15x100mm.

So you think 140mm is maximum travel without noticing too much difference in handling?
    Yes 10 more mm is fine but 20 will change the geo too much and probably ruin the handling.

Donít worry itís dead simple

1) - you need to get a Yari in 15x100 (itís the Lyric's chassis but the internals are different ... which is fine because itís crap and we wonít need it ... we just need to get a cheap chassis first)! The travel doesnít matter as you will get a new air shaft

Have a look on PB: https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/...ory=9&region=5

Ex: https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2688797/

2) you need a 140mm air shaft to bump the travel + a Vorsprung Luftkape (have a look at what it is here https://vorsprungsuspension.com/prod...nt=32771063876)

3) you keep the stock open bath rebound but replace the damper with a custom tuned damper/stack so it will match your weight / terrain / travel (NovyParts SPLUG: https://www.novyparts.com/produits-n...draulique.html)

Youíll end-up with a very sensitive fork, custom tuned, that doesnít cost a lot of money and wayyyy better than any off-the-shelf fork around that price point. To be honest, even more expensive ones...

If you are alright with that, let me know and I'll guide you through the different steps to build it!
    Last edited by digev; 02-23-2020 at 04:05 AM.