mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Fox fork dilemma

I am putting together new 27.5Ē bike (Yeti SB6) and canít decide if is worth to get new fork. Currently I have 2013 Fox Float Factory 36 RC2 tune by push, fork is for 26Ē bike but when I compared the spec the height almost the same 2mm difference where the tolerance of the drawing is +/-5mm. This dorks allow for 27.5Ē wheel with enough clearance. I havenít been following much how Fox has been involving over the years, so is it worth buying new fork?
    Last edited by crazyinp; 2 Days Ago at 08:08 PM.

NedwannaB
    #spellcheckisyourfriend
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    #spellcheckisyourfriend
    Thank you for your reply! Very Helpful!

mtbr member
    Don't be a dork, buy a tea fork.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
    Thank you for your reply! Very Helpful!
    Well? 😎 This could be answered(after some reading between the lines...) in the shock/suspension forum. And yes itís safe to say Fox Racing has come along way in 5 years of R&D! Iíd stay away from those Tea forks as Iíve seen no advertisements on them and they are rare to find a rider to ask about them out on the trails....

To your inquiry yes ďmostĒ of the earlier 26Ē Fox forks can run the 27.5 tyres, Iíve run them on several from 80, 100, and 140 travel models. Tyre size could be limiting and since youíre building up an AM type bike might not help you out. Best to setup your 27.5 wheel with tyre(s)of choice and let air out of fork to check clearances of the arch and upper crown! Just because it slides in under the arch doesnít necessarily mean it will clear the underside of the crown when fully compressed. Something to take into consideration. If thereís some buzzing of the knobbies on the crown, Iíve seen some people hobble the travel by putting some beefy zip ties around the top of the fork stanchions under the crown leg. Might keep the tyre from rubbing but could mess with your seals. Proceed at your own risk.

You could find a tyre that fits and use your fork til you have more time to research some more and budget allows for a new one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Well? This could be answered(after some reading between the lines...) in the shock/suspension forum. And yes itís safe to say Fox Racing has come along way in 5 years of R&D! Iíd stay away from those Tea forks as Iíve seen no advertisements on them and they are rare to find a rider to ask about them out on the trails....

To your inquiry yes ďmostĒ of the earlier 26Ē Fox forks can run the 27.5 tyres, Iíve run them on several from 80, 100, and 140 travel models. Tyre size could be limiting and since youíre building up an AM type bike might not help you out. Best to setup your 27.5 wheel with tyre(s)of choice and let air out of fork to check clearances of the arch and upper crown! Just because it slides in under the arch doesnít necessarily mean it will clear the underside of the crown when fully compressed. Something to take into consideration. If thereís some buzzing of the knobbies on the crown, Iíve seen some people hobble the travel by putting some beefy zip ties around the top of the fork stanchions under the crown leg. Might keep the tyre from rubbing but could mess with your seals. Proceed at your own risk.

You could find a tyre that fits and use your fork til you have more time to research some more and budget allows for a new one!
    Thank you, this is very helpful. Regarding the spellcheck... typed that from my phone and for some reason, it autocorrected half of what I wrote.

Seems like getting new fork might be the better choice

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you are using old wheels make sure you get either a non boost fork or adaptors for your non boost wheel or a new hub/wheel. Personally I retire forks periodically because I snapped one once as have a couple friends of mine. So Iíd be going new. Depends how many hard hours a person has on a fork of course. Iím up to about 200 rides this year just for context. Iím only around 140 pounds but Whistler trails are pretty rough.

mtbr member
    If you've already got the fork, then I say give it a go, if you find it lacking, then get something new, but until then, why spend money when you've already got a custom tuned fork on hand
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
    Thank you, this is very helpful. Regarding the spellcheck... typed that from my phone and for some reason, it autocorrected half of what I wrote.

Seems like getting new fork might be the better choice
    If it autocorrected half canít imagine what the original draft looked like! 😬

Someoldfart brought up wheels which you hadnít touched on. **DONT** buy a new fancy 27.5 ďwheelsetĒ around using that 26Ē fork! I would assume youíre getting new 27.5 wheels for your build. Not knowing if the sb6 is 142 or 148 boost rear spacing, you should buy the appropriate type rr if boost. If it is boost frame you could always get a 142 hub wheel that has the capability of using boost end caps as mentioned. Re the front wheel youíll be limited to 100 spacing hub based on it being a 26Ē model fork(hopefully not an old school qr style skewer😳. Might be worth it to borrow a 27.5 wheel to try out fitment in your fork first. If it works and money tight buy a used/inexpensive new off the shelf front wheel just for the time being until you ďforkĒ out dough for a proper fork/frnt wheel.