First Post - need some advice!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

First Post - need some advice!!

I have been riding Florida trails for 3-4 months on a trek hardtail that I just sold, there are some steep ups and downs, rock and roots (believe it or not we do have some hills at old mines) and tight corners and some technical trails. No extreme downhill riding though. There are also long flat trails.
    I want to upgrade to a full suspension bike, good for trails here.
    I am really leaning towards 27.5 wheels.
    I can go up to around 4k.
    Im looking at maybe the 5010 or trance, as they can order them at my local shop. Not sure how much travel i need for the florida trails, any advice here? Was thinking around 130-140?
    Any other suggestions for a versitile 27.5 trail bike?
    Would the 5010 be good for all purpose bike? I dont really do big jumps or tricks like its advertised for, is the bike only good for people who do that type of riding?

Practice Gratitude

Hello.

Hello and welcome to the forums,

After some reading online it seems that both the Santa Cruz 5010 and the Giant Trance are more than capable and amazing machines for what you are looking for. The best bet is always to test ride each and pick the best fit/feel but here was an article that describes both bicycles (it's a few years older at 2018 but they have the 5010 as more XC oriented on their chart with the Trance as more downhill oriented):

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...de-comparisons

I'd be certain to make sure on the specifications of each bicycle. It seems to me that the 5010 looks specc'd a bit better, imho.

Best regards,
    Jason
    ďIt never gets easier, you just get faster.Ē ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

mtbr member
    Look up Clint Gibbs on youtube, he's a fla guy and had a lot of older videos comparing xc and trail bikes and the advantages of each.
    Number one, though, is try to demo as many as you can.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Look up Clint Gibbs on youtube, he's a fla guy and had a lot of older videos comparing xc and trail bikes and the advantages of each.
    Number one, though, is try to demo as many as you can.
    Beat me to it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks for the feedback! I watched a few of his vids before and have tried a couple bikes so far, and will definitely plan to try a few a more. I tried the trance 29, the 29 tires just didnít feel nimble enough, and also tries the stumpjumper 27.5 ST, loved the smaller wheels but something about it just didnt feel comfortable. Tried a salsa 29 and did not like it at all. Will keep trying though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Nice job. It isn't easy to ride a bike you just sold.....impressive. (poking fun at how you wrote it).

Any of the big branded 27.5 bikes will do what you want. So will a 29er if you have any interest.

5010, Stumpjumper (short), Trek, Giant.

You've got a tall budget, you should be able to get exactly what you want. Ideally I think you can stay under the budget (it didn't take 4-grand to buy a capale bike a few years ago. With tax and accessories perhaps closer to that mark.

g=9.764m/s2
    Ibis Mojo may be what you are looking for...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Unfortunately there arent any ibis dealers nearby to purchase from or test ride.
    Thank you everyone for all your input, I ended up ordering the new santa cruz 5010 from my local bike shop. Should be in sometime next week, canít wait to ride it!